Thread: 4s battery

RC Enthusiast

4s battery

Is it possible to run the summit stock witth one 4s battery instead of 2 2s? I just want to know if it is even possible? THX

RC Champion
    Sure but I don't think there is a 4s pack that will fit in the compartment. If there is then just build a jump for one of the connectors on the ESC to complete the circuit and connect it to the non-BEC side. The battery should feed the side that draws power for the receiver.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Champion
    If I remember correctly there is a 4s soft case lipo out there that will fit but it's only like a 2500mah. So even with 2 of those your still only going to get 5000mah of use. If that makes sense.
    Slash 4x4 built w/ RC4WD PRL RPM STRC TRX and MIP

Not without disabling the BEC on the EVX-2 and running an external BEC. Running 4S voltage thru the EVX-2 may destroy its BEC.

Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    Sure but I don't think there is a 4s pack that will fit in the compartment. If there is then just build a jump for one of the connectors on the ESC to complete the circuit and connect it to the non-BEC side. The battery should feed the side that draws power for the receiver.
    This makes no sense. No power to the BEC side means no power to the receiver, servos, or lights.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-14-2015 at 09:44 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Enthusiast
    Ok I made my own custom batt compartment an mounted it in the rear so space isnt a problem, also what is BEC and non BEC? Still sort of a noob srry lol

4s battery

Battery Eliminator Circuit. The one set of power wires on the EVX-2 powers the BEC, which provides low voltage (6V) power to the servos, receiver, and LEDs, as well as providing higher voltage power to the motor. The other set of power wires solely provides power to the motor. That is the non-BEC side.

Edit: Why would you choose to raise the CoG that high? Placing a battery above the chassis would result in poor handling.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-15-2015 at 07:39 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post

This makes no sense. No power to the BEC side means no power to the receiver, servos, or lights.
    Exactly. No power to the connector with the BEC feed will result in no power to the rx, servos, ect... But wait... That's what I said the first time. not sure where you fail to understand.
    I have an RC problem...

I fail to understand how you will run the truck without a receiver or servos. Please explain.

RC Enthusiast
    I was thinking i could connect it with a loop connector. Would that work?

RC Qualifier
    The only way i could see it work, is by adding an external BEC... My 2cents. But im not even sure it wont toast the ESC... i think the ECS is made of two ESC connected internally in serie to provide 14.8volts to the motor. so, putting 4s in the thing... i would expect some somke.
    Last edited by boilo56; 01-16-2015 at 10:02 PM. Reason: aditional info
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

4s battery

Quote Originally Posted by CrazeeViviTRX View Post
    I was thinking i could connect it with a loop connector. Would that work?
    Quote Originally Posted by boilo56 View Post
    The only way i could see it work, is by adding an external BEC... My 2cents. But im not even sure it wont toast the ESC... i think the ECS is made of two ESC connected internally in serie to provide 14.8volts to the motor. so, putting 4s in the thing... i would expect some somke.
    You are correct regarding the need for an external BEC if you don't have a battery connected to the BEC side. Connecting a 4S pack to the non-BEC side ++might++ work but I've never attempted that approximately $50 experiment.
    The bottom line is that this speed controller is designed to work on two battery packs. It is rather limited in that respect but as long as you meet that requirement it works extremely well.

RC Enthusiast
    So it is posible or not?

RC Qualifier
    And why can't you just use two 2s lipos?

RC Qualifier
    You get more mah more center gravity etc with two 2s lipos like it's setup for I think it's better overall but that's just me

The EVX is not designed to accept 4s power through either of it's plugs. I'm not sure if this would work at all with or without the BEC being used. Also I'm pretty sure the LVD would not work correctly, if at all.

It does series both batteries together internally, so the motor gets a total of both pack's voltage.

If it had an external series connection like the MXL-6s or Mamba Monster then this wouldn't be an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazeeViviTRX View Post
    So it is posible or not?
    Some claim it is possible and some claim it smokes. The members claiming the former typically do not stay around long enough to verify their reliability.
    You could try it, risking $50 of your own funds. So the question is, "'Do I feel lucky?' Well do you?"

Thanks to Clint for the quote.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok. Thanks guys. Only reason i asked is because if you could run 1 4s then i wouldnt have to buy another charger to charge the second battery. Oh well.. Thanks again for the help