Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 41 to 60 of 60
  1. #41
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,355
    After putting 2 47k resistors in for a total of 94k ohm my final battery voltage after almost 11 minutes of obstacle courses and fighting ceiling fan currents my final voltage is about 3.5v. This mod is great! Thanks for discovering it for us!
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

  2. #42
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    After putting 2 47k resistors in for a total of 94k ohm my final battery voltage after almost 11 minutes of obstacle courses and fighting ceiling fan currents my final voltage is about 3.5v. This mod is great! Thanks for discovering it for us!
    With the 2 ea. 47K resistors, did you turn off LVC or just extend the runtime before LVC?

  3. #43
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    36
    Maybe someone can do the math and figure out a road map or cheat sheet for resistance vs cutoff voltage of the resistor network/voltage divider.
    I wish to lower the cutoff voltage a wee bit more , but still maintain a healthy overhead with my telemetry and VtL still operational.
    i also do alot of night flight and find the warning is actually very useful at reminding me to get back in fast before i loose power at a distant heighth in the darkness of night and over unclear geography such as nieghbors homes and trees too!
    I have gotten very dependant of this feature on trex clone 450 birds too . i utilize the telemetry on my frysky modules and the 9Er modded firmware xmtr. i find it much more reliable than timing or feeling out my battery runtime. Flight time isnt constant when the battery is loaded up due to your flight conditions and how hard the motor is working. I fly in most any weather condition and the winds are never constant and can play alot on my total flight times.
    So is there any consensus on what is the average go to resistance to offset this voltage divider and pull down the pin on the chip?

  4. #44
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,355
    Quote Originally Posted by rdw50 View Post
    With the 2 ea. 47K resistors, did you turn off LVC or just extend the runtime before LVC?
    I just turned it down to around 3.5v.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

  5. #45
    RC Qualifier jdpasl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by bonhomme View Post
    Hello , when i fligh in easy mode i get +-9 min of flighttime , in expertmode (doing lot of flips and rolls) i only get +- 4min of flighttime ! When i then measure my volts on the battery its still +-3.75 volt (so NOT empty), when i than charge it ONLY +-300mAH goes in the battery (Not +-600mAH as it shoot be).

    With this mod , my flighttime in expertmode has doubled : +-8min (still doing flips and rolls), and when the quad beeps my battery is down to +-3.35Volts and when i charge it there goes +-600mAH in the battery (PERFECT).

    WARNING : at your own risk because you have to solder at a very, very, VERY small place!
    al you need is a small (1/8watt) resistor of 100kOhm and patience not to break the print.

    One side of the resistor has to go to the + positieve of the battery (easy at the 220-10L/C3 component , left side where the white line is) See first photo, where i soldered my resistor.



    The other side of the resistor need to be soldered at the right side of the VERY SMALL R2-R3 resistors on the circuitboard (right side of R2 or R3 is the same (they are connected)) See photo, where my tweesers are.



    Good luck all.
    Greetings Marc
    Interesting..... Do you think you can make long range flight? Maybe impossible.

  6. #46
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    697
    the range of the model is limited by the radio and its ability to receive the signal. no one really knows for sure what the actual range is though? with this mod... you will be able to fly for longer periods of time, but not farther .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

  7. #47
    RC Qualifier jdpasl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    494
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
    the range of the model is limited by the radio and its ability to receive the signal. no one really knows for sure what the actual range is though? with this mod... you will be able to fly for longer periods of time, but not farther .
    OK I understand.

  8. #48
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    36
    I can only fly these things for as long of a range for as I can see it flying. At forty something the eagle eyes aint what they once were. As the fun factor increases on these mini RCs , the closer and slower i do my flying. I always kinda preferred the long fast and big old school FAI style of aerobatics over the trend of Hot Dogging of uh... Eh hmm excuse me..... Freestyle 3D type stuff.
    Anyways drifting off subject but point is that these little guys are dog gone hard to see! Long Range is therefore relative to your vision and of course 400 ft ceiling is a dot even at nitetime with the lights. Now nobody operates fpv beyond line of sight now do they? Not with this bird anyway.....
    But yeah this thing can fly away beyond my sight in less than a minute.
    Back on topic i think mod is cool, and the OP has claim to being the first to hack the flight controller! What chip is this flight controller inside the Alias based? OTP and protected code I assume? Where can I get the data sheets and application notes? Now how cool would it be if someone wrote a mission planner or something for this system!? Surely there is some room for the brainiac tinkerer to go beyond spoofing the Voltage Cutoff Circuitry with hardware. What other pins can be pulled up or down to effect other flight parameters?
    Anyone ? Bueller?

  9. #49
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    36
    Bumping this wonderful thread as it needs to keep fresh and open to comment and experimentation.
    I am going to try a 100k 1/8 watt resistor this weekend. But maybe a better more secure way is to change the value of the surface mount resistor that makes up the voltage divider. I dont have a selection of surface mount resistors at my immediate disposal so I will just jumper . I will keep ya informed!

  10. #50
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    25
    I did 3 alias mods (with 100kohm resistor) and they all begin to beep (lvc works still) with the battery voltage at +-3,45 volts. When i charge these batterys ( i have 6) there goes +-600mah in : perfect!
    The mod that spoonerrw has done is REPLACING the original resistor , my mod is placing a resistor PARRALLEL over original resistor : i had no smd-resistors so i placed a 1/8 wat resistor instead in parrallel.
    Greetings marc

  11. #51
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by bonhomme View Post
    I did 3 alias mods (with 100kohm resistor) and they all begin to beep (lvc works still) with the battery voltage at +-3,45 volts. When i charge these batterys ( i have 6) there goes +-600mah in : perfect!
    The mod that spoonerrw has done is REPLACING the original resistor , my mod is placing a resistor PARRALLEL over original resistor : i had no smd-resistors so i placed a 1/8 wat resistor instead in parrallel.
    Greetings marc
    bonhomme: Where did you place your resistor? From what point to what point. What size (wattage) 100kohm resistor did you use?

  12. #52
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. danielhr77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Argentina
    Posts
    4,758
    Size? Smaller one you can find, it's just a voltage reference.
    He Who Dies With the Most Toys Wins.

  13. #53
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    25
    The points to solder you can see in post 1 or 34.
    I used a 1/8watt resistor because i did not have a smaller one.

  14. #54
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    36
    Ok guys , ive been working outta town. (Took quad with me, it goes everywhere) Finally got a chance to do the mod. I soldered in an axial style 1/8 watt thru hole style resisitor as a jumper in parallel. I chose the 100k value. (Brown, black, red)
    Just finished an outdoor night flight. I havent flown under test conditions or have done any comparisons. Didnt measure voltages or times and now realize I should have created a baseline test before. Doh!!!!
    Well, with just soldering in a resistor while battery was charging, I slapped it back together and went out flying in the middle of the night. No hovering around no timing the duration or trimming it. I just took it upstairs and flew it as far and as fast as I could see it and did a few flips and rolls.
    It flew just fine and I can tell that I gained at least an extra minute or so of flight time. What really was obvious to me is that I now feel a noticiable drop in power output as the voltage begins to drop . The motors slowed down for quite a bit before the alarm finally started ! I dunno ? It seemed like it never was going to beep. It finally beeped as I did a full stick power climb out. I am not sure but I think my flight time after the warning beeps has slightly shortened too.
    I was going to try several different resistor values but I dont think its going to be too easy swapping values and will just leave it as is for now....
    We will report more as we get more flights and take measurements.... Its almost midnight west coast time and I am going to just go out and get another flight before the rainstorm catches up to me here!
    Last edited by dougroundup; 03-02-2015 at 02:47 AM.

  15. #55
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    325
    Good for you bonhomie! If Traxxas will issue a new board for $15 buck if you screw it up. I think it is worth a shot. Where did you buy the resistors?

  16. #56
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    25
    Quote Originally Posted by dougroundup View Post
    Ok guys , ive been working outta town. (Took quad with me, it goes everywhere) Finally got a chance to do the mod. I soldered in an axial style 1/8 watt thru hole style resisitor as a jumper in parallel. I chose the 100k value. (Brown, black, red)
    Just finished an outdoor night flight. I havent flown under test conditions or have done any comparisons. Didnt measure voltages or times and now realize I should have created a baseline test before. Doh!!!!
    Well, with just soldering in a resistor while battery was charging, I slapped it back together and went out flying in the middle of the night. No hovering around no timing the duration or trimming it. I just took it upstairs and flew it as far and as fast as I could see it and did a few flips and rolls.
    It flew just fine and I can tell that I gained at least an extra minute or so of flight time. What really was obvious to me is that I now feel a noticiable drop in power output as the voltage begins to drop . The motors slowed down for quite a bit before the alarm finally started ! I dunno ? It seemed like it never was going to beep. It finally beeped as I did a full stick power climb out. I am not sure but I think my flight time after the warning beeps has slightly shortened too.
    I was going to try several different resistor values but I dont think its going to be too easy swapping values and will just leave it as is for now....
    We will report more as we get more flights and take measurements.... Its almost midnight west coast time and I am going to just go out and get another flight before the rainstorm catches up to me here!
    I still have the normal 5 warning beeps and after that (+-30sec) iT shuts down, same as original.
    My flighttime is now double (i had 4min , now 8min), maybe your flighttime already was ok without the resitormod?
    Is iT new alias (maybe traxxas changed the original resistor)???

  17. #57
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    36
    Yes my board is a "trx_534 rcvr-2 rev 3" as printed or silkscreened on the board. I've gained approx. 2 minute before warning with about 15 seconds and five warning beeps before total cutoff on my old batt. I flew a brand new battery today. Battery was somewhat slowly charged at a maximum allowable rate of 250 mAh for a completed charge duration of about 156 minutes to full capacity.
    I had a very long flight duration of mellow flying and high altitude hovering, with decently gusty wind. At about 8 minutes I could notice a very big but gradual drop in power, however this thing continued to push through and maintain parked in position and even penetrate through downwind turns for another five or so more minutes. The total flight duration was at about 16 or 17 minutes and was struggling to remain airborn against the wind as the motors lacked sufficient juice to hold their own. I thought the thing was never going to beep. Once it beeped I held it in my hand and continue to run up the throttle and it immediately beeped at a faster pace then I could jam full up into the throttle as the cutoff killed the motor in my hand. This is the longest duration yet, however maybe this new batt needs break-in because i dont believe it was big on dumping lotz of power . Just a long steady discharge slope. So far my new batt seems rather enemic. Perhaps it needs a good high amp charge rate?!

  18. #58
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    25
    I Always charge them at 600mamps.
    Do you fly in easy mode ? Because in easy mode i also fly +-8min without the resistor mod.
    In expert 2 mode doeing lots of loops and flips a got +-4min Original, now +-8-9min with resistormod.
    I think 16-17min is to much, maybe you are killing your batterys (can you see how much your charger puts in the batterys?)
    Mine is charging +-600mah.
    Maybe you can measure the voltage of the battery when the lvc kicks in? Best not under 3.3volts.

  19. #59
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    36

    Cool

    Sorry its been awhile since I have been around.
    Yes, this mod has worked out well and my flight times have indeed increased and my batteries discharge further down without any detriment to the overall battery lifespan.... If anything the batteries are living a longer and happier lifespan because of a longer deeper discharge. I fly in fast and expert, I use the basic mode to shoot high altitude video.
    The warning beeps allow me plenty of time to bring back from high altitude (tiny dot in the sky,,,,, I got new glasses!). I can bring it down and have plenty of hover time left to circle myself two or three times and catch the bird in my hand.
    bonhomme has done an excellent job figuring this out....

    Its been modified for so long that I kinda just took my performance for granted. My boss got a new Alias and the comparison is huge. Another thing that probably helps alot too is that you use a quality aftermarket hobby Smart LiPo charger and dont use the pathetic USB charger that comes with the alias.

    Anyone, Braniacs,,,,, Bueller,,,,,, how about some other flight controller hacks or firmwares or something else cool????????

    BUMP BUMP AND BUMP
    Last edited by dougroundup; 08-07-2015 at 01:04 PM.

  20. #60
    RC Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    27
    I was just wondering, as I do, is it possible to solder extra blue LEDs on the back for extra visibility [57 old eyes] without any extra requirements? I dont know enough about circuitry to fiddle too much? thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •