Thread: battery charger

RC poster

battery charger

i picked up the RTR slash 4X4 on monday. immediately upon leaving the store i plugged in the battery. at that point it was flashing green. by the time i ran my errands and went home the light was off on the charger. i assumed it was charged. i ran it briefly that night and ran it yesterday. it didnt seem to last very long.
    so i put the battery on the charger again last night and went to the gym. when i first hooked it up it starting flashing green. by the time i got out to my truck there was no light again. it says it should show constant green when the battery is fully charged. has anyone else had this problem? i hope to run it today to see how long the battery lasts.
    the charger is the 2975 4A that comes with the RTR slash.

If your using a Nimh battery, light should be red. If light is green, it's in LiPO mode.
    1997 White Mustang Cobra its not a RC!

Quote Originally Posted by Whitecobra View Post
    If your using a Nimh battery, light should be red. If light is green, it's in LiPO mode.
    That is for the esc.

For the charger I recommend getting a better charger. You will appreciate it. The traxxas 6 amp plus is good otherwise an onyx 235 will be a good choice. If you are on a tight budget then an onyx 100 will get the job done.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC poster
    yeah i plan on getting another charger. just havent done it yet.

the charger i have it NiMH only.

im new to RC and the local hobby shop i bought my slash from didnt even know about the new traxxas ID connectors. i had to show him.

RC poster
    so i ran the slash today for 20-25 minutes. i plugged the charger into the cigarette lighter and the LED started blinking green. i went out there after 30 minutes or so and it was flashing red. the fuse was blown again.
    traxxas tech told me to plug into the cigarette lighter first then plug the battery into the charger and thats the procedure i used. im not sure whats going on here.

I would get a different charger, then return the other charger to Traxxas for a replacement. Keep the replacement charger as a backup!

Or take it all back to the store purchased at, and see if they will replace charger or give credit towards a different charger.
    Last edited by Whitecobra; 01-15-2015 at 01:10 PM.
    1997 White Mustang Cobra its not a RC!

RC poster
    I watched it closer this last time. It charged fully and gave the solid green led.

RC poster
    I have same problem !
    ran the model several times sense X mas and now it blows the fuse in the 4 amp charger # 2975.
    other than that I love this thing.

RC poster
    It seems finnicky. If I watch it closely I have no problems. However if I don't watch it closely I will go out there and no light is on. I'm assuming that means it charged fully and the light timed out.
    Now my friend seems to be having more issues with his. He's watching it closely also but when he gets out there the led is flashing red. I think after awhile his truck senses that load and shuts itself off.

Please note:
    Quote Originally Posted by Me
    For positive results it seems you need to:
    Have the 1:1 vehicle turned OFF.
    Plug the charger into an auxiliary power port first.
    Wait for the charger's red LED to glow.
    Plug the battery into the charger.
    Wait for the 1-2-3-4-flashes then solid of the green charger LED.
    Disconnect the battery pack.

If you plugged the battery into the charger first and then into a 12V receptacle, there is indeed a good chance you burned the charger's fuse. The charger needs to be plugged in FIRST.
    If the charger has no light when plugged into the 12V receptacle without a battery connected and flashes red with a battery connected, the problem is most likely the fuse.
    A correct replacement would be a 5.0-Amp 250V Fast-Acting 1X" Glass Fuse.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Suggestion for Traxxas - most people aren't going to have the documentation for very long, if these details are even included in the kit. As my son unboxed it and got it ready I don't know whether anything like this was in there or not, but if there is, IT SHOULD BE IN REALLY BIG LETTERS.

Also, given the opportunity to update the label on the 2975 charger itself, you might want to say PLUG THE CHARGER IN FIRST, THEN CONNECT THE BATTERY. Seems like a lot of people, including myself, are struggling with a problem that would be pretty easy to fix.

The fact that the light GOES OFF after a period of time, even when the battery is fully charged, seems really ridiculous. It's not like I'm going to sit in my car and stare at the LED until it goes solid.