Thread: Is it ok

RC Enthusiast

Is it ok

Is it ok to install other brand motors,speed control,transmitter,etc on a traxxas rustler

RC Qualifier
    Yes, but esc and motor mounts sometimes can be different

RC Qualifier
    Of course it's okay, that's the great thing about hobby grade RCs! To follow-up to what Spencer said, be sure to check product specifications as some things might not fit 100% perfectly and may require some modification. Take a look at other threads to see what other people are using as well.

The castle creations sidewinder 3 and 1410 motor are popular choices for the rustler.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Fasty911, it's wise to ask us questions. We're here to help. Any specific thing you have in mind? Just ask.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Racer
    if its your first rc this can be annoying finding upgrades that fit but just do some research and read what people say and there you go. I Would recomend the castle sv3 4600kv (soldering requied) and that is a great combo for about 100$

For the Rusty, my friends at Castle convinced me to go with the SCT / 3800kV motor combo. And, I'm glad I did!
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    I also went with a Castle SCT 3800kv motor with Sidewinder 3 speed control for my Rustler based off of many recommendations from folks, including jvogel's. Sound advice and you won't regret it! Just make sure you get the new version with the 3mm motor shaft. I bought mine used off eBay and ended up with the older version with the 5mm shaft. Not a big deal, I just had to convert to 32p gears since 48p 5mm bore pinions are kinda hard to find and expensive.

Thanks Mogg2112. I have two tackle boxes filled with the 3 pinion and 3 spur sizes. 5mm 32 pitch for the Summit, 1/8 (3mm) with 48 pitch and 32 pitch for the rest. 48 pitch isn't as robust as the 32 but it sure is quieter.

The 5mm cost you some cash to change over to it but at least it's much stronger.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Racer
    For a transmitter i would never ever upgrade from the stock traxxas 2.4 ghts because there a great simple radios but if you plan on doing things with traxxas link get a link adapter or you are planning on racing a spectrum is good and has multiple modle memory (how many cars it can drive) but its very expensive. motor/esc you really just find the motor you want and check if it fits and install it.