RC poster

hello all newbie telluride owner here with a few questions

Hello all.

Didn't want to beat the proverbial dead horse by asking similar questions but couldn't see thread hacking everyone's posts.

not 100% familiar with the telluride and electric rc car motors. used to have a nitro revo. I got some questions that I know you guys can help me with. there isn't a hobby within 2 hrs of my house so I got no where to go for information.

I purchased a telluride for my son for Christmas (or was it for me?) as with anything im interested in upgrades. ive installed a slash front bumper not exactly the best look but with my son he needed more protection. hes got a habit of holding down the throttle and looking away. This thing is tipsy I want to widen it up as much as I can without taking away from its power since the 12T isn't the best from what ive heard. Ive noticed some ppl are installing stampede arms and turnbuckles (is this what they are referring to as the upper control arms?) and tierods. wondering what were the options for those? is stock the best? is there an aftermarket brand that's more durable? which axles should I be looking at due to width change? is there another rim setup that will give me the width while keeping the 2.2/3.0 setup. do the aluminum caster blocks alone give me the clearance for 2.8s? how bad will the 2.8s hurt the performance? not going do a motor or battery upgrade till my son shows me he can handle it. what is a good charger to get that will do lipo batteries later on. on another post it seems that running 500k fluid in the diffs, is a good thing to do? I also see ppl are running the diffs out of brushless stampede as well. what does this do? different gearing or are the gears simply that much better quality? is the entire diff different or just the internals? I saw where someone mentioned about an aluminum axle I guess that's the inside the differential?

If you do have recommendations, part numbers would be awesome so I know exactly what to look for next time im in the hobby shop, as it appears ill probably have a long list. or if you have a good website to order from that would be cool.

On the 2nd run we blew off one of the spring retainers on the bottom of the rear shocks so instead of replacing that. I purchased some integy aluminum shocks that seems super stiff that im running 40w fluid in.

Thanks for anything you can help me with!

RC Competitor
    Ok, so here's my opinion.
    -if you want to give your telluride a wider, more stable stance, then stampede 4x4 A-arms, drive shafts, turnbuckles and steering linkages are a great way to do so. If your buying all these parts, i suggest buying the RPM A-arms and aluminum turnbuckles.
    -if you want to wider rims but keeping the 2.2/3.0 stock size, buy slash 2wd front rims(they have a wider offset than rear). Your Telluride comes stock with rims made for the rear of a slash to keep it track width narrower. You could also replace all 4 of your black 12mm hexes with the wider grey hexes that come on the front of the slash 2wd.
    -2.8 size rims fit no problem on stock or aluminum c-hubs.
    -my suggestion if you decide to run 2.8 rims with some proline badlands or trenchers (have a set of trenchers and they are awesome ) is to buy the ring and pinion gears for a BRUSHED Stampede 4x4 (#6778 front gears/#6779 rear gears) and install those with either some 500,000wt diff oil or diff putty. I used silly putty ($.99 for a pack at Wallyworld).
    -my experience with the stock shocks has been great. I would suggest that if running stock ultras, put aluminum caps on them. I run 35wt shock oil all around and it works for me. I always use the theory, stiff springs/light wt oil or soft spring/heavy wt oil. If you want to set it up for more
    Bashing style, maybe look into slash progressive springs.

Any other questions, feel free to ask. Your son (or you) should really enjoy this rig, its really a fun one to drive.

RC poster
    thank you for your input. ive been seeing where ppl are using the stampede suspension to make them wider. that's probably what I will be doing. Does anyone know how much wider this will make the telly? how wide would some rpm revolver wide wheelbase wheels would make it in comparison? would they fit on the the stockhexes?

RC Competitor
    [IMG][/IMG]

Stampede arms will give you about 1 inch and RPM revolver crawler wheels about 1 inch too. On the left, it's my Telly with stock arms and 2.2'' RPM revolver wide crawler wheels. The green one is just a stock stampede 4x4 with a Telluride body. I tried both, arms and revolver wheels, but i did not like the look of my Telly.
    Last edited by joss789; 01-22-2015 at 08:27 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    If you plan to trail it much, you might wanna try it stock width first. I have stock arms but wide grey hexes to fit 1.9 wheels, and there is a line I want to run on a hill near my house that it just won't quite do, because it's a touch too wide. It's driving me nuts! Haha. It's a line that would be impressive if I could make it with no help.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC poster
    sweet guys thanks for the input. being too wide isn't a problem for me. I don't want it to the point where its so wide that it looks dumb either. I like the look of the 2.2 rpm wheels and the ability to run any 2.2 tire is nice too. may just go that route instead of dropping almost 80 bucks on stampede suspension. looks like the 2.2s clear steering hubs/knuckles fine. what are good tire choices? I own an automotive tire business im able to get pitbull tires directly from the manufacturer and they have a line of RC car tires that look sick check em out http://www.pitbulltires.com/rockbeast.php

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Pitbull's rock beasts are said to be good tires. Most 2.2 wheels won't work without some modification, or a wide hex or something. Rpm crawler revolvers work with no issues.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D