Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I bought a gru, but from my experience it wasn't needed (when I had the 21t. I haven't driven it much with anything else). I had precise, perfect control at even a creeping pace, but yet I could get wheelspeed if I needed it. I've found sometimes the only thing that could get me through an obstacle was a little wheelspeed.

Examples would be on a few slick hills where I was spinning some, a few times where I needed to take on a gap between a few rocks, and coming down off of a rock where it would topple forward of I didn't goose it. Plus, it's fun to lurch up the top of a hill or a rock and land on top of ot. Haha
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Champion
    I would be really interested to see a crawler made with a brushless motor. I want to see how well it would work and everything. I know the summit can still crawler in low range gear with a brushless motor so I bet the slash could too.
    Slash 4x4 built w/ RC4WD PRL RPM STRC TRX and MIP

RC Qualifier
    It seems like a lot of the people who build Wraith crawlers use sensored brushless motors. I've been looking at them considering building one but I really like the one you built so I may go that route instead.

That's what my telluride was built for. So far it's working out very well. 2250kv 4 pole 1/8 motor on a mmp and 3s.

Pretty much just because I saw the motor for 40$ and I thought why not? It could serve many different purposes. I still may try a 775 and/or revolver 660 motor from Kershaw designs. It's only that the brushless motor is sealed, and I like to run in mud and muddy water.

Being sensored it's smooth as butter.
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 03-08-2015 at 08:02 PM.

RC Racer
    Bash and Maxx, I see our posts were lost recently, so I wanted to bug you guys one more time about the 2.2/3.0 crawler tire conversion. Bash, I know you said you used hot glue to create the bead on the back of the wheel, any pics? And Maxx I see you trimmed down your ripsaws to fit as well, any tips on what you did? Are they glued on? I'm wanting to avoid gluing them so I can use pro-line beadlocks and change out tires.

RC Champion
    Sorry no pics of the the glue. And don't want to take it apart. And I actually think max used 2.2" wheels. I think they fit with enough off set.

I just reinstalled one that was stubborn. It's easy peasy. Just measure the backside of a 2.2/3.0 rim, mark, and trim. I'm sure curved lexan scissors would be best, but I used an xacto knife. No glue. If I glued, why use beadlocks? Some use silicone caulk to help it stay. Still easily removable.
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 03-20-2015 at 08:54 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post

I just reinstalled one that was stubborn. It's easy peasy. Just measure the backside of a 2.2/3.0 rim, mark, and trim. I'm sure curved lexan scissors would be best, but I used an xacto knife. No glue. If I glued, why use beadlocks? Some use silicone caulk to help it stay. Still easily removable.
    Thanks Maxx! I will try it out when my tires come in!

Don't forget to trim your foams too. Trim half of it to the wider 3.0 on the inside.

If you have a 2.2/3.0 tire to measure, that'd be easier to measure. But, basically, it's 3.0 inches. Lol. I cut mine a hair smaller than that.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    Don't forget to trim your foams too. Trim half of it to the wider 3.0 on the inside.

If you have a 2.2/3.0 tire to measure, that'd be easier to measure. But, basically, it's 3.0 inches. Lol. I cut mine a hair smaller than that.
    First time I cut tire I cut them exactly 3 inches. Works just great but when I did it the second time I did slightly larger and it actually was a little bit better. Made the bead say in place better.

I will keep that in mind if I have another one pop off. Just don't wanna trim too much.... Then ya can't go back. Lol

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bash'n'slash View Post
    Bash, what drive shafts did you use with this revo diff? I am running mip protracs but the hubs are only 5mm for the slash. I will have to try the revo mip 6mm hubs to see if they work with my slash mips.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by stillsmokin875 View Post
    Bash, what drive shafts did you use with this revo diff? I am running mip protracs but the hubs are only 5mm for the slash. I will have to try the revo mip 6mm hubs to see if they work with my slash mips.
    Well to be completely honest I am using stock drive shafts that are plastic so I just drilled them out to 6mm. Super easy. As for MIPs I think you can get some 6mm ends. Like you said the revo ones should work.

RC Enthusiast
    I am making progress:

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hey you... crawler guys . Check out this body/cage. Thought you might find it interesting:

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219659

RC Qualifier
    I really like the look of that. When I was first looking at I almost bought a Yeti because I really like the way it looks but I was turned off by all of the issues it had originally. I've been thinking about building another one as kind of a trail truck/crawler and would love to figure out what is required to do the cage mod. I guess I know what I'll be looking at while at work tomorrow.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If I destroy my new body anytime soon, I might even do it too.

RC Champion
    I thought about the cage but I want to be able to remove the body easily. I might get one down the road. Will keep everything cool.

I would just be concerned about the extra weight up high. Nobody likes a tippy crawler!

RC Qualifier
    How much more than a normal body do you think it weighs? I can't imagine it is that much, especially if the body has been reinforced wil Shoegoo and drywall tape. I'm interested in seeing what was done to the cage and how it is mounted. If it can't easily be taken on/off it isn't worth t to me. But if it can come on/off easily I'll try it.

Is it plastic?

RC Qualifier
    Yeah the cage is plastic. The guy in the link made metal side panels but you could just use the stock lexan panels.

RC Champion
    The cages for the yeti are not that heavy. It would not effect driving that much.

RC Racer
    Got the slash 4x4 crawler going today! Runs pretty good with the brushless motor/gru and mud slingers. Waiting on my proline TSL 2.2 tires to come in so I can do some rock crawling!

RC Champion
    That looks awesome man! Glad your liking the slash as a crawler. Can't beilve even this many people want a crawler slash. That's awesome.

RC Racer

RC Champion
    What kind of speeds and crawling do you get with that set up? I need something new. The stupid Titan decided to smoke. It works fantastic until 20 min of running then it will smoke.

RC Qualifier
    I think I'm going to go with one of the Holmes brushed motors in my build. I still have to decide on which one I want though.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bash'n'slash View Post
    What kind of speeds and crawling do you get with that set up? I need something new. The stupid Titan decided to smoke. It works fantastic until 20 min of running then it will smoke.
    Well that's the beauty of using a gru with a brushless motor. You can run a low kV motor and play with the pinion size to control top speed and still have tons of torque and low speed crawling. You can even trim your throttle back on the transmitter to go even slower. Right now I'm using a 1965kv motor with the gru and a 18/54 gearing, which top speed is around 10 mph if I had to guess. But you can also play with the diff gearing to crawl even better, my front diff I'm running the coarse tooth diff that comes in the brushless slash, and in the rear diff I'm running the fine tooth diff from the brushed stampede so that my wheel speed in the front is faster than the rear, which helps pull you over obstacles better.

RC Champion
    I just watched a video on how that works and it's actually an amazing idea. I think it's perfect for crawling. I'll have to look into that motor because it seems like a great replacement to my Titan when it goes out.

RC Racer
    Short video I shot of the slash 4x4 crawler doing a hill climb. Gives you an idea of the wheel speed, and as you can tell there is no cogging with the gru.

RC poster
    Hy
    This took me one hour to change my slash 4x4 Ultimate LCG to crawl.
    if I want to crawl with I need new Tires, Motor, ESC Diff locker and a new Karo.
    What do you mean?

RC Champion
    Hey what is the gru motor you guys are using? I want to get one but can't find one.

Gru is the hpi G.ear R.eduction U.nit. It's basically a gear box that goes between your motor and the spur reducing your hearing. I think it came stock in an hpi rtr crawler based on the wheely king.

RC Champion
    Oh I see. Now it makes sense. I think I'll just keep the Titan then. And I'm going to get the proline pro trac kit so i should have more travel. And I might put 3.8 summit wheels/tires on..

With brushed diffs and the 21T titan, I find it unnecessary. It kills all wheelspeed too, which can be necessary sometimes. I see it being useful for a comp crawler, or trying to use a motor that's too fast.

RC Qualifier
    Is there a big difference using the brushed diffs over the regular ones. What is the benifit of using them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
    Is there a big difference using the brushed diffs over the regular ones. What is the benifit of using them.
    Brushed diffs have a lower ratio. More torque, but less speed.

When building a telluride or slash crawler, they are a huge upgrade!

Brushed diffs? Enlighten me please.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast