Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    RC Champion
    So this says the VXL does control sensored brushless motors and has an auxiliary port. Not sure what the port is for or des though. I'm gonna order a Holmes motor and see how it goes.
    Slash 4x4 built w/ RC4WD PRL RPM STRC TRX and MIP

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    The older 2 pole vxl ESC supports sensors, the newer one doesn't. Not sure which you have. The low kV motor with sensors is very smooth. IMO you don't want many more kvs or it's gonna be too fast. If you are having trouble with throttle control and going slowly, you could get an et 3s and limit it with programming. Even in sensorless the castle escs are smoother than the vxl ESC. A lot of the hardcore crawler guys are even running 700-1500 kV motors.

Edit. The port on the ESC is to plug the sensor wires into. Be aware that, without taking precautions, the sensor connections on your motor and ESC and (depending on the design of the motor) the sensor board itself won't be waterproof.

My motor is all sealed, so the hall sensor is plenty safe, so I coated the sensor connectors at the ESC and the motor with dielectric grease after plugging in.
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 04-13-2015 at 10:29 AM.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Champion
    Dang! 700 is really low. I think I'm actually going to go with the 2700 kv because the 3100kv is out of stock anyway. The 2700kv seems nicer too. I have the old 3 pole ESC so it should work well.

RC Qualifier
    I gave my Holmes 2700kv a quick test run and so far I'm very happy with it. Running 2s I can probably get it to the mid 20mph range but it is very smooth going slow. I do have to open my diffs back up and put silly putty in them because I'm diffing out way to much.

I'm running the motor with a ET-3s that I flashed with MMP firmware. I still have to play with the settings some but I'm happy so far.

RC Champion
    Well I asked Holmes about the 3100 and it turns out they don't make it anymore. So I'm going to get the trailmaster sport 2700kv. Good to hear it runs good. I'll order it this week. I got the pro trac kit so I'll throw that on today.

2700 kV, IMO,is right in the range you want. If it still seems a tad on the high strung side ( and it probably won't) you can try the brushed diffs.

RC Racer
    Another vid of the crawler, just showing the power of locked diffs and brushless power with a tug of war lol

RC Qualifier
    I'm going to run mine some more before I decide on the brushed diff gears. I want to get the diffs mostly locked before I decide if I need more torque.

RC Champion
    Dang. That is pretty good! I'm loving you truck man. You need to just use that jeep body though! I didn't realize until now but your truck is sooo similar to mine. With the tail front bumper tires and similar body

RC Racer
    I know you guys are getting tried of all the videos, but I shot this one just to show the difference in wheel speed between the front and rear wheels. The rear is running the brushed diff (more teeth, less speed) and the front is the brushless diff (less teeth, more speed) I like the way it crawls in this setup, keeps the truck from wanting to flip over backwards so much because the rear isn't digging as much.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bash'n'slash View Post
    Dang. That is pretty good! I'm loving you truck man. You need to just use that jeep body though! I didn't realize until now but your truck is sooo similar to mine. With the tail front bumper tires and similar body
    lol yea I really liked your setup so I used a lot of the same parts, although we are running completely different power systems.

RC Champion
    Yeah I like the diff that you set up seems like it would really run nicely. Yeah our power systems are way different but now that im learning more about the real crawlers im going to get a lot better set up. Hopefully the holmes 2700 motor for me soon.

RC Champion
    As I don't have the current funding for the Holmes motor I wanted something less expensive. I found this. It's a really low kv and seems pretty nice. Should I get it?

http://m.ebay.com/itm/141252784681?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

RC Qualifier
    I'd be worried about all the openings and getting dirt/mud/water in there.

RC Racer
    Yea I think the holmes motor is far superior, and I like hobbywing stuff. I'm running a 150A esc they have and it works great, but I would save for the holmes motor, so you don't have another issue like you did with the titan.

RC Champion
    Well my friend made an offer I can't resist. I'm trading my VXL ESC and $20 for his hobby wing ESC and that exact motor. I'll do this for now as I don't even like the VXL and if it doesn't work I'll get Holmes.

RC Champion
    Got the new motor/esc for mt slash. Its a Hobbywing esc and hobbywing 1900kv sensored brushless motor.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bash'n'slash View Post
    Got the new motor/esc for mt slash. Its a Hobbywing esc and hobbywing 1900kv sensored brushless motor.

Hey Bash, how did this combo work out for ya?

I just bought a 1900kv sensored neewer that I'm eager to try! 27 whole dollars .

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by stillsmokin875 View Post
    Hey Bash, how did this combo work out for ya?
    It has been really great actually! I'm enjoying it a lot and it has great control and runs smooth. I've been running 2s although it is capable of 3s. When I try 3s it sometimes cuts out and turns off. The top end speed is actually pretty good. Not as fast as the the brushless systems I used to but not bad for what it is. Other then that it's been perfect.

Maxx that is awesome. Let us know how it works!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    I just bought a 1900kv sensored neewer that I'm eager to try! 27 whole dollars .
    Do you have a link to the one you bought.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...885997&alt=web

Maannnnnn...now it's 10$ cheaper!

I don't know what you know about neewer, but they are generally good motors. At least I know their sensorless motors are.

The bullets on it happen to be the same as the ones stock on the et3s, and I happen to have a brand new, unmolested one right here that I haven't swapped to 4mm bullets yet .
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 05-19-2015 at 04:04 AM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...885997&alt=web

Maannnnnn...now it's 10$ cheaper!

I don't know what you know about neewer, but they are generally good motors. At least I know their sensorless motors are.

The bullets on it happen to be the same as the ones stock on the et3s, and I happen to have a brand new, unmolested one right here that I haven't swapped to 4mm bullets yet .
    Yea, I agree that Neewer has good motors, in my experience. I have beat on all of them I have and they continue to work.

RC Qualifier
    For $17 it is worth a shot. I'm currently running a 2700kv Holmes motor which I like and is really smooth but I'd like to try a lower kv.

It's two pole,but I can't find a low kV sensored motor that is 4 pole unless it's a 1/8 motor. I have a 2250 gforce motor that is great, but when I really call on it it cuts out a little bit, and I'm afraid it's going to damage the mmp. Not worth that to me.

RC Champion
    The crawler is for sale. If you want it but it. Need it gone fast!

http://m.ebay.com/itm/221803209510?nav=SELLING_ACTIVE

RC Champion
    Man itís been a long while since Iíve been in the RC scene. Want to get back. Been reminiscing lately.

https://youtu.be/1f-XmaaMz8k

It has been a while... welcome back!

Rig looks great and crawls good.

Have fun!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    yeah welcome back!!!

You should know that this thread and another In the Telluride forum have been instrumental in my current trail truck project. Thank you.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345