RC Racer

Project -"SR-71" needs a new power plant.

So I think I have a bad 2 pole velineon motor on my hands. I bought this slash used so I have no idea how it was treated before I got it. Long story short, new motor and possibly new esc time. There seems to be a pile of threads about this but what do you guys have, and what do you think of it?

I'd like to run 3s mainly bashing on asphalt and gravel. Long winters here so I run paddles in the snow for half the year too. I would like to be able to gear it for speed on asphalt in the summer as well.

My main question is this. Using the hind sight and wisdom of the experience you all have, what motor combos do you run and are you happy with them? or what would you do differently after having them for a bit?

Thanks a lot everyone. This community is an awesome resource!
    Teton-The Mini Monstrosity
    Slash-Project "SR-71"

I personally have the ET-3S 2400 motor combination from the Traxxas Funny Car! I absolutely love it! So much power and torque! I have it geared for the mid 50 mph range and it rarely gets over 140f! You are looking for something that is waterproof. The new VXL esc with the capacitors on it would work wonderfully with the 2400 motor from the Traxxas Funny Car! You would then have a great waterproof motor system.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

IMHO.....It really depends on what you're willing to hop up. The absolute most powerful scenerio?
    1. monster mamba 2200kv motor, monster mamba esc, replace the diffs, the center driveshaft, motor mount, and center driveshaft. 350+ in hop ups. my motor never gets above room temps in the winter on 4S... 5S, maybe 110 or so geared 40/17 in revo spur and pinion. The power is UNREAL.

2. monster mamba 2650 motor monster mamba esc, replace everything you have to with the 2200. It runs a little warmer, but if you're limited to a 4S budget, this thing HAULS! Temps are 5-10 degrees warmer geared the same.

3. 2400kv castle or traxxas motor...VERY VERY fast. I still had to replace my cvds. the diffs were ok and so was my center driveshaft.

4. 3800kv castle...perfect for the stock setup on 3S, but watch your temps on warm days, you will most likely wanna gear down a couple of teeth than you were running on the stock vxl system.
    Last edited by vxlrocket; 01-21-2015 at 11:55 PM. Reason: spelling
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by vxlrocket View Post
    IMHO.....It really depends on what you're willing to hop up. The absolute most powerful scenerio?
    1. monster mamba 2200kv motor, monster mamba esc, replace the diffs, the center driveshaft, motor mount, and center driveshaft. 350+ in hop ups. my motor never gets above room temps in the winter on 4S... 5S, maybe 110 or so geared 40/17 in revo spur and pinion. The power is UNREAL.

2. monster mamba 2650 motor monster mamba esc, replace everything you have to with the 2200. It runs a little warmer, but if you're limited to a 4S budget, this thing HAULS! Temps are 5-10 degrees warmer geared the same.

3. 2400kv castle or traxxas motor...VERY VERY fast. I still had to replace my cvds. the diffs were ok and so was my center driveshaft.

4. 3800kv castle...perfect for the stock setup on 3S, but watch your temps on warm days, you will most likely wanna gear down a couple of teeth than you were running on the stock vxl system.

What kind of gearing would you recommend on 3s with the 3800kv exactly? just curious.
    Slash 2WD, Slash 4WD, T-Rex 250
    It's only money!

Quote Originally Posted by BigART71 View Post
    What kind of gearing would you recommend on 3s with the 3800kv exactly? just curious.
    depends on the climate and running conditions. what are you looking for? a bashing gear or a speed gear? This is where i love the mamba monster 2200 and 2650 kv systems. it almost doesn't matter how i gear it. i can gear almost 2:1 ratio and never get very hot at all.
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky

RC Racer
    If you want a replacement velenion I have one spare on the cheap

I would go no higher than 13/54. Any higher than that and you are really pushing the limits of the heat this motor can handle. I have probably already asked you but what city do you live in?

RC Qualifier
    I'm running 13/54 street and a little bashing. Just got the truck going. Motor temps weren't hot at all running 2.8 trenchers. Didn't have my temp gun, but finger test yielded me holding it on the motor for as long as I wanted.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I would go no higher than 13/54. Any higher than that and you are really pushing the limits of the heat this motor can handle. I have probably already asked you but what city do you live in?
    I'm in Union City.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-22-2015 at 10:40 AM. Reason: merge
    It's only money!

I'm running 13/54 street and a little bashing. Just got the truck going. Motor temps weren't hot at all running 2.8 trenchers. Didn't have my temp gun, but finger test yielded me holding it on the motor for as long as I wanted.
    If that is the case, maybe trying to go up another two teeth. If it is too hot there back down another tooth.

RC Racer
    Awesome info guys. What's the advantage of running the et-3s over the new velineon with the capacitors. I have heard of people waterproofing the ET-3s but is it worth the extra work over just running the velineon one?
    Slash-Project "SR-71"

So far I have liked my MMP 3800 on the slash, it has a very nice smooth , yet a lot of torque. Great controll on track geared at 14/54 with no heat issues for me in summer or winter.

Yet to trully test my WPP SC8 (paired with the 3800 or my Tacon 2600), have not yet set it right I guess so I had an issue, my system cuts off when I throttle high, got to recalibrate it.

Will also try my Duratrax 3174 Onyx 4550 combo but only 2s and geraed probably lower, I have enjoyed the high end speed of this combo, compared the 3800 and 4550 on two deifferent 2wd pedes and both are awsome, I catually like the sound of the 4500, it roars, like one mean machine. Also their field card is a nice hard case one, how ever the CC field car has more optrions once connected to the computer.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Scottydoesntknow View Post
    Awesome info guys. What's the advantage of running the et-3s over the new velineon with the capacitors. I have heard of people waterproofing the ET-3s but is it worth the extra work over just running the velineon one?
    The et-3s and the funny car 2400kv combo are the same thing as this castle creations setup. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXAETU&P=ML

The et-3s will only run up to 3s lipos and that motor will rock and keep its cool. If you hack the et-3s firmware and install the castle mamba max firmware (which is easy) it will be the same setup as in the link above. I have hacked the firmware myself. Here is the how-to. https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...ed-Castle-ESCs

I'm also in the process of waterproofing the esc with MG Chemicals acrylic conformal coating. I bought the 55ml bottle. http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/...-coating-419c/

The Et-3s can utilize the Castle Creations software to control throttle and brake curves. You can control how hard or soft you want the truck to launch. You can control the lipo cutoff voltage and many other wonderful things to customize the truck to your liking. The VXL cannot be adjusted at all.

RC Qualifier
    The VXL is very limiting. I ran in my Slash 2WD when racing. I kept the Velineon and went to a MMP ESC and it has been a great setup in that truck. More than anything was drag brake and punch control. It really helped out on the track.
    It's only money!

RC Racer
    I really like the idea of the ET-3s 2400 combo idea, but I might have to do some saving.. Where is the most affordable place to pick this stuff up?
    Slash-Project "SR-71"

RC Qualifier
    Check eBay, there are a few different chop shops that sell them.

I'm very happy with mine so far. I've only run 2s and for me it had plenty of speed/power and didn't get hot at all. The warmest it got was 145* after running 22/54 gears had for about 20-30 minutes straight.

I hacked mine so eventually if I wanted to run 4-6s I could. I figured why not take the 5 minutes while I already had it hooked up.

RC Qualifier
    What's this "hacked mine" you speak of?
    It's only money!

RC Qualifier
    Look at the link that DialedInRC posted in post #12. Basically it unlocks the ESC and puts Mamba Max so you can run up to 6s

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
    Look at the link that DialedInRC posted in post #12. Basically it unlocks the ESC and puts Mamba Max so you can run up to 6s
    Very kewl.. Thank you.
    It's only money!

RC Racer
    So when i se SR-71, i think of the old spy plane. Are you going for a blacked out theme? Something to commemorate the plane, or just coincidence?
    Project Black Mamba: goal, 125mph

RC Racer
    I painted it grey and was trying to come up with a cool air plane type name. I looked through a bunch but the sr-71 blackbird stuck out. No matter what I found I always like the blackbird. So since it's not black I just went with sr-71.
    Slash-Project "SR-71"

RC Qualifier
    To me SR-71 means Formula SR.. lol
    If I could do it over again I would put a MM2 and 2650KV in. I technically could but I have an E-Revo project on my hands at the moment...

RC Racer
    Hahaha I had to look that up. . It's so fast you'll lube yourself!
    Slash-Project "SR-71"

RC Racer
    Do you already have 3s packs or are you looking to upgrade to 3s? I've got next to no experience with brushless yet...but I've got the same onyx 4550kV that Jezza was talking about, The ESC will do up do 4s i think, but the motor is really only 2s...which worked out because i only have 2s batteries. Took it out for a test run last night and it screams...I'll see if i can get some video. Just a thought.

RC Racer
    No I already have 3s packs so that's what I would like to keep running
    Slash-Project "SR-71"

RC Racer
    No I already have 3s packs so that's what I would like to keep running
    Forget i said anything then. :-) This is my first slash and I bought it used. It came with a 4550kv motor, which like i said worked out well for me because i only had 2s packs. Keeps me from being tempted to buy more packs...