RC poster

Lightbulb Extended flight time in the winter

I just doubled my flight time with this crude but very useful mod.
    I found my outdoor flight times in sub zero temps were averaging 4 - 5 mins, indoor was around the 11 min mark.
    I know cold temps will lower the efficiency of the lipo's ability for electron flow, so I came up with this brilliant idea.

I found some styrofoam insulation and made it fit snug over the battery.

The battery pretty much stayed at a constant temp throughout the flight.

It also doubles as a landing skid to help prevent getting the motors covered in snow should you need to do an emergency landing.

Not sure if anyone else out there has done something similar so I just wanted to share this.

Last edited by Kyndred; 01-22-2015 at 03:37 PM.

The pics don't work..
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC poster
    Last edited by Kyndred; 01-22-2015 at 08:32 PM.

RC poster

How much does it affect control?
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC poster
    It's not really noticeable. I did however make a slightly bigger one, to give more insulation and it affects it in a way that doesnt make flight any more challenging, but more stable. Probably a slight bit sluggish but overall its not that big of a difference. Stunts are ok. Takes a bit to gain altitude back.
    For its intended purpose its works really well.

Looks like a really good idea, i may have to try it.
    What are your flight times with the mod pictured?

RC poster
    I am averaging 10 mins each flight.
    I revised the whole setup, so here are some pics of the new "prototype":

RC poster
    Also, to prevent snow and water from getting inside I had to tape over the holes in the canopy as well I used packing tape to tape over the mainboard.

Extended flight time in the winter

Wow, so you went from two min flights to 10 min flights? What are the temps by you? My temps are usually around 30 F or so, sounds like your insulation idea works really well, i'll just have to find some foam now...

The new prototype looks really good, why are the blue colors sort of faded? Just old? Or did you dye the white parts?

RC poster
    I'm in North Bay, Ontario. It's about 23F here. I've had it out at 14F and still get around the same flight times. It's usually around -4F here this time of year, but I doubt I will take it out in those temps!

It's not faded, it's just the lighting and my camera. It's just regular blue Alias.

Oh wow, so where you are it really gets cold. Yeah i wouldnt really want to go out in -4F, only if i needed to.

RC poster
    Yeah, too cold to step foot outside. Waiting for the spring so I can setup fpv. Haven't done that yet. I'm a noob with quads. The Alias is my first and only had it since Christmas. Flown a few coaxial copters in the past, so this is a really fun and refreshing experience. I'm getting really good at avoiding crashes and have almost mastered flying in the opposite direction. Can fly like a pro in expert mode indoors but I'm too afraid to attempt that outdoors.

Yeah same with me, got mine for christmas. Only other copters I've had were the airhogs from toysrus, they always broke. This quad is close to indestructible.
    I have yet to master flying opposite direction (quad front facing you) just cant really figure it out yet, I'm sure i will eventually tho.

RC poster
    Takes a lot of practice. I've already had to replace the motors. I bought a set of these http://micro-motor-warehouse.com/col...cl-0820-17-11t
    They drain the battery quick with hard acceleration, but if I take it easy the extra drain is negligible. Would like to get a set of V959's not only because they're cheap ($4 per motor) but less battery drain, which might add a minute or 2 of flight time.

Yes i have the MMW Dark Edition motors, i dont really feel they drain the battery, i think its more the cold than the motors.
    Just came in from another flight, smashed into the house at a good speed and around 30 out, equals a broken prop.
    I taped a sponge ( i know this will no be good in the snow, because it will absorb water. But there is no snow out today) just to test this idea, and the broken prop ended my second flight. 1st flight was not really recored time wise, but it was probably around 5min or so.

RC poster
    OUCH! I guess there's a reason they supply us with spare props.
    You should try a bigger sponge. Yes probably not the best idea -soaking up water.
    I found i had to have the whole canopy covered with the styrofoam to prevent airflow across the battery.
    If you have any packing foam, that will work just the same (cut a peice from the top part of the alias box if you still have it)

I was thinking about using the top part of the box, i do still have it. I was thinking if you take off the canopy and just make one out of foam, would this work? I may have to try it.

RC poster
    That should work. Post some pics and let us know how it works.

RC poster
    I'm still getting a good 10+ minutes with each flight. It's been 32 all day today. Tomorrow will be the real test as it is supposed to dip down to 5F

RC poster
    So I just took it out for a test run this morning. Temp is 5F and I was able to get 7 mins of pure fun.

Wow, thats pretty impressive. I think traxxas may have to start listening and make a foam block as an add on for insulation to fly in the cold weather.

RC poster

Talking

I should open up shop and sell them myself. I know a way I can mass produce them.

Yeah, i actually make some metal art and sell it on etsy, you should check it out. etsy.com

So how is the insulated block working? Any new mods or new designs?