PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA

Question suspension help for smooth tarmac

I ran my Rally with slicks on smooth tarmac today. Hadn't done that before. I set up some cones. It was awesome!

I use Losi springs: black in front and blue in rear. I am using the outermost a-arm holes for the shocks and am using the innermost on the towers. I forgot to mount my sway bars (black front and silver rear). My duh.

Question: Will the sway bars sufficiently keep the car from body rolling or do I need to get stiffer springs in an addition to mounting the sway bars?

I'm new to smooth tarmac but I already love my Rally running on it. Thanks for your anticipated responses.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    Start with Sway bars. Stiffer springs may affect ride height.

RC Racer
    I don't run sway bars with mine but with GTR suspensions and stiff springs from revo (blue/silver dot) takes away all that unnecessary body roll.

Thanks for the replies.!

Sway bars on.

GTR shocks may next. Yeesh, I have way too much RC stuff already!
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The sway bars make a huge difference. My rally would traction roll on pavement with stock tires before i put them on, after it will just slide. I was impressed. I set them up tight so there was ALOT of sway control.

Well, I needed to know about running on tarmac --- pavementsurfer has a name that implies he knows this stuff a lot better than moi! Are you running all black sway bars mounted close to the pivots then or a combo of black and silver? My truck was a bit too loose so I threw the combo on --- for now. Thanks.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Enthusiast
    I ran my first parking lot race Sunday with the Rally. I ran the black sway bar in front, the silver sway bar in the rear, GTR are shocks with blue springs front and rear, and 80 wt. shock oil all around. I used the Proline Striker rally tires. The grip was good, but I still had some body or chassis roll, especially in the front on deceleration or braking and sweeping high speed turns. I called Traxxas and the recommendation was to use file tubing on the outside of the shock shaft to limit travel. It can be cut to various lengths, it's cheap, and won't damage the shock. We also discussed using Revo springs, #5435. The Traxxas support person thought it may be too stiff.

I was impressed with tires. I will try the Revo springs. and I have some fuel tubing. I had a lot fun driving the car.

http://www.prolineracing.com/tires/s...0-rally-tires/

I ran my Sidewinder 8th, 3s powered Rally full blast on Tarmac the other day. It has the sway bars, Ultra Shocks ,blue/black Losi Springs with no fuel tubing. I thought the suspension was excellent. Did you change shock mounting positions?
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Enthusiast
    I haven't tried moving the shock position. That might help. thanks for that idea. I have the GTR shocks. I think the Losi springs are too long. I compared the Losi Springs from my Losi Ten SCTE. I looked at the springs from my Losi 22SCt and I think they are too small in diameter. The Losi Springs would be good because they come in nice variety of spring rates.

That's why I stuck with the Ultras. All my Traxxas rigs are using Ultras and Losi springs. Just having the one style keeps things simple - like me.
    Obstacle Magnet