Thread: SST broken axle

RC poster

SST broken axle

just putting around and broke an axle. will the ones for Teton fit SST ?

is there a preferred upgraded axle? anything else i can go ahead and upgrade while i'm at it.

stock motor and battery.

RC Racer
    double check the manual part list, compare them, should be the same.

i am running 3s on my teton, still using stock 4 axle, still working.

RC Competitor

Talking Most Teton parts fit-Aluminum Axles #7650

Most of the Teton parts fit, including the shocks & axles (not the chassis, center driveshaft, upper deck, rear body post, and I think that's it).

I have broken way to many stock axles on my SST. I upgraded to the aluminum ones (7650R) and have not broken any. When I called Traxxas support they told me it was due to acceleration on landing, or during suspension travel. Highly Recommend them the aluminum ones!

I'd also add an extra bearing to the other side of the spur gear in the motor housing. I got sand in my spur gear in less then 30 sec. every time I ran it, but I live in the dessert. It would make terrible noise and extra rolling resistance.

I replaced the shocks because every time my stock shock touched anything it would snap the shaft right at the spring retainer (I have lots of broken ones now). I used the adjustable shocks w/TiN shafts #7665, but the prices skyrocketed since I got mine. Their are aftermarket ones out there that others have given great reviews on. The new shocks have taken an unreal amount of abuse, again highest recommendatiuons!

I went through three stock motors in less then two months, switched to a brushless motor with a new esc. I chose the Castle Creations Mamba Micro Pro w/0808 4-pole 4700kv motor. My trucks are for me and my kids so top speed is not the concern, but durability is! I run a modified throttle curve, limit the power to 60%, use 100% punch control, and a few other options. But warn that at full power I was destroying my diff outputs & axles even faster. The best part about this upgrade is the motor stays perfectly cool to the touch, and my battery run time has increased dramatically, all with the stock battery.

RC poster
    i found a set of axles metal in blue i ordered and some more body clips.

the truck sags with stock shocks. will the replacement shocks raise this up a little.

RC Competitor
    The stock shocks need shock body collars/spacers to adjust spring preload (to raise the truck).

The adjustable ones have a threaded shock housing with a nut on it that adjusts the spring preload (how strong the spring is). You can have the truck sit lower then stock, or much higher! The dampening is also far superior then the stock shocks, along with the extra durability.

RC poster
    can someone guide me in what i need to do to replace axle? I took wheel off and got that side out but what all is involved to change the diff side ?

RC Competitor
    It just pulls out.

If it doesn't pull out with a little effort, there is chance the "dog-bone" has spun in the plastic diff outputs, or the plastic diff outputs have started to wear/strip. It should still pull out, try to align the diff out put grooves with the "dog-bone." You can also take off the diff output plastic sleeves to get a better view.

RC poster
    i was able to pull the axle piece out and had to remove the top suspension piece to get new axles in.

i am going to have to find me a tool set to work on these things. i did not like using my leatherman pliers to take off suspension piece.