RC Competitor

Why do my TQ 2.4 Transmitter loose range after 20-30 yards?

Did a short test last night in the street, and it kept loosing range all the time.

Took the receiver out of the waterproof case, inspected the receiver, and it was bone dry.
    Connected a fresh battery and placed the car on a stand.

Fired up the transmitter and turned on the esc.
    And walked out in the hallway, while I kept a bit speed.
    Transmitter was placed in front of me and I do loose connection approx @ 25 feet.
    If I place the transmitter in front of me, heading towards the car I got signal, but do loose connection if I go 5 feet further on in the hallway.

Why are Traxxas transmitter stuff so crap, pardon my frenh

The TQ system came with my Rustler XL-5 and are about 2 months old and have been out and driving about 10 times or so..

Was thinking Traxxas have been improoved the last decade or so, but sadly no.

I have 3 spare Traxxas transmitters in the closet (10+ year old), all of them was faulty.
    One had no steering, the other two was not sending any signal what so ever...

Any ideas???

Last time I will use Traxxas stuff to control my cars.
    My other rigs running Spektrum, LRP and some vintage Futaba, all working great
    Rustler XL-5 4600kv Castle 1406 3s

RC Qualifier
    Ok well you probly have a bad reciver. has not happened to me but it did I to my friend. I would get the newer, better reciver with the stock shorter antenna that is silver on the tip on the end doesn't stick out the body

RC Competitor
    I worked it out.

There was a metal sleeve in the end of the atenna, I chopped it off, and exposed some of the inner wire.
    Loads better, but still a glitch or two while out and driving.

Could not test propperly as it was raining a bit, ice all over, dark and and about a dgree or two over freezing, and it was 10 in the evening, some folks are going to bed at that time

Edit: Part number to that receiver Traxxas-Beast?
    Last edited by Caprinut; 01-23-2015 at 04:25 PM.

RC Qualifier
    I am not sure of what you are saying ,,,,you did a test in the streel but say you were in the hallway ,,,,
    what kind of test do you do out in the street but are in a hallway?
    are you asking for help diagnosing your range problems or are you just trying to say that the traxxas stuff is crap.
    if you need help I say ask traxxas for help ...if you are just putting down the traxxas stuff ,,,I want to know how you are qualified to determine that the traxxas stuff is crap if you cannot diagnose your problem to possibly even begin to make a statement like that...if you want help I would be happy to try to help you ...but if that includes bashing traxxas then you are on your own...traxxas is the top quality the rc world has to offer ,,,,they have the best customer service and availability of
    parts in the industry. I have an idea,,,,, learn to maintain,, troubleshoot your rc ,,
    and don't say traxxas stuff is crap when the problem is very likely the lack of experience and knowledge on your part.
    https://traxxas.com/products/models/...tler?t=support
    this is where you should start, go to this link and download all your exploded views ,,parts list ,, and also down load the manual ...if you notice there are troubleshooting links on the page also that will help you. good luck!

RC Qualifier
    this is what I am talking about the VXL comes with a antenna under body and it has better or just as good range as the xl-5 one. Here is part #6518 but here is the reciver and transmitter on e-bay for a way better deal http://m.ebay.com/itm/311030471998?nav=WATCHING_ACTIVE

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Caprinut View Post
    I worked it out.

There was a metal sleeve in the end of the atenna, I chopped it off, and exposed some of the inner wire.
    Loads better, but still a glitch or two while out and driving.

Could not test propperly as it was raining a bit, ice all over, dark and and about a dgree or two over freezing, and it was 10 in the evening, some folks are going to bed at that time
    I've done 4 receivers by cutting the metal tube and exposed the inner wire and have no problem with range signal at all, its like new again. How long was the exposed wire?

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by MONKEYPIARATE View Post
    I am not sure of what you are saying ,,,,you did a test in the streel but say you were in the hallway ,,,,
    what kind of test do you do out in the street but are in a hallway?
    are you asking for help diagnosing your range problems or are you just trying to say that the traxxas stuff is crap.
    if you need help I say ask traxxas for help ...if you are just putting down the traxxas stuff ,,,I want to know how you are qualified to determine that the traxxas stuff is crap if you cannot diagnose your problem to possibly even begin to make a statement like that...if you want help I would be happy to try to help you ...but if that includes bashing traxxas then you are on your own...traxxas is the top quality the rc world has to offer ,,,,they have the best customer service and availability of
    parts in the industry. I have an idea,,,,, learn to maintain,, troubleshoot your rc ,,
    and don't say traxxas stuff is crap when the problem is very likely the lack of experience and knowledge on your part.
    https://traxxas.com/products/models/...tler?t=support
    this is where you should start, go to this link and download all your exploded views ,,parts list ,, and also down load the manual ...if you notice there are troubleshooting links on the page also that will help you. good luck!
    Was a bit clumsy with the typing...

Last night I was out and driving and the car did stop working less than 30 feet from me.
    It went dead until you were 10 feet or so from it.

And today I took the test indoors, testing my radio system, with the car sitting in the next room, and walking back and forth in the hallway close by.
    No door between those two rooms, and car was sitting very close to the doorway.

As I explained, my signal went missing between 20-30 feet, after 30 totally dead.

And I'm no beginner as I've been in the hobby for 25' years, built loads of custom 4x4 rigs, and I'm a Tamiya collector.

What I ment to say, I think it's strange that 4 of my Traxxas radio systems has been faulty, some has worked for a bit, some vent totally dead.
    I know many people who is staying miles away from Traxxas radio systems because they have a reputation to go bad.
    Even know people with a collection of dead transmitters.

And yes I'm is asking for why this do happen, and what the cause of this.

But I managed to get it working again, by removing the metal sleeve of the antenna, and then expose 1/2" of wire.
    Now it working beond the 30 feet mark, but had some glitches when out and testing again (did go dead a couple of times)

I'm soon 40 and with 25+ years in the hobby I indeed know what maintanance is!
    Several of my rigs costing 1k+ dollars, I do take care of them.

But Traxxas is and allways will be a basher brand.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Penduko View Post
    I've done 4 receivers by cutting the metal tube and exposed the inner wire and have no problem with range signal at all, its like new again. How long was the exposed wire?
    I exposed roughly 1/2" or so of the wire....
    Do I need more, or is that plenty enough?

But why did my radio system starting to stop working in the first place?
    Esc is in good working order, same is my batteries (2s)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Caprinut View Post
    I exposed roughly 1/2" or so of the wire....
    Do I need more, or is that plenty enough?
    you need a little more exposure at least 3/4" and just to be sure, your only peeling off two layers (outer black and inner braided loom)

RC Competitor
    Yep sir

Will trim off a bit more then...

RC Champion
    You may try a glitch buster also. It may be a signal loss unrelated to range and gb's can help smooth the electronics as a whole.

RC poster
    Traxxas is certainly not the best in the R/C world, maybe in the RTR R/C world but anything RTR will never be as good as something in kit form. RTR is built to be easy for the beginner. I too am an experienced R/C'er with 35 plus years in the R/C world...Nitro outriggers, and nitro cars/trucks. To this day the Team Associated RC500 will smoke the 3.3 4tec "Why would Traxxas put a .20ci/3.3cc engine in a car designed for 1/8th scale .21ci/3.5cc racing class, and the RC500 is 25 years old two wheel drive. I agree the Traxxas radio system is crap. I never had a failsafe that would pop because of hitting a bump. But than again that's my opinion and we all are aloud our opinion. I like the 3.3 4tec I have but I always had issues with Traxxas radio systems. But I guess after 35 years of IMPBA sanctioned racing and starting with chain driven cars/trucks I am unexperienced too in radio's. I guess that's because I started before the two channel pistol grip radios and was around for the advent of the failsafe and watched it progress over the years. Don't ever say someone is unexperienced because you never know who might just have real build your own experience and know the advent of the two stick radio and the progression of the pistol grip radios and been through all the pit falls of that progression.

RC Racer
    Do you have any large radio towers near you? Sometimes these can cause glitching. Is anyone in your neighborhood running a remote? I had a neighbor running his rc years ago and mine picked up his signal. Bad luck we were both using the same channel (the old blue crystal). My old tx/rx crapped out. I did get 20 years out of my Traxxas rx/tx, though. I bought a Futaba 3PRKA for $80 and it works great.

RC Qualifier
    You should not have chopped any of the wire off. These are antennas are length specific. The first thing I would have done is to pull the antenna wire up and out of the holder some more in order to get more wire out of the receiver box. How much wire is stuffed down into your receiver box? Have you checked that? Youíll never get good reception now that you have cut your antenna. Just sayin.

As this thread is over 4 & 1/2 years old, we should probably let it go back to sleep.
    FWIW, range is not usually a problem with undamaged Traxxas radios. I can drive my vehicles farther than I can see them.
    Letís also stay on topic. If a thread - even a dead one - is about radios, letís not muddy the waters with irrelevant engine comments.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = į