RC poster

ac to dc converters

i all I have a quick question. I tired to search already for the answer but didn't find anything.

Enter question:

Will a cheap adapter like this

work with the 4 amp peak dc charger?

I know that traxxas makes a converter. And that a charger that would work is not very expensive. But i just dropped 440 bucks on a brand new truck and we'll I'm trying to be cheap.

RC poster
    Output: DC 12V 500mA) 110V AC to 12V DC is what that one does

RC Racer
    you would fry that adapter in a heart beat. The max current output is .5A (500mA). The 4 amp peak DC charger can draw up to... well... 4 amps of current. You would need to get something that can output 12V 4A at a MINIMUM. I would suggest something like 12V 6A adapter (if they make them). Don't go too cheap... cheap electronics = cheap components... you might end up replacing more than you bargained for.

So, let me put this situation into perspective. Let's say you have a 4000mah battery, the peak charger, a good quality converter and this thing you posted. With the good converter and charger, you can charge your battery at 1C. Everything is fine and dandy, battery should be charged in about 1 hour.

Now, you have this other ac/dc adapter that puts out .5 amps. Instead of charging at 1C (4A in this case), you are now limited to 1/8 C (500mA or .5A) if you don't want to start a fire with the cheap converter listed in your post. You would be pushing your ac/dc converter to the limits and it will have a short life (push to the limits ---> working harder ---> more heat ---> premature failure).

In my experience and schooling, when you need components to meet a certain spec, it is wise to get parts that are overkill. You will get a longer life out of them (not at the limits --> less heat --> longer life). Hence why I told you to get something that will do 6 amps.

RC Racer
    The ac/dc adapter you have listed is really only good for plugging in your phone's car charger (in case you forgot the actual charger at home). My assumption is that it is very inefficient and gets pretty warm at times (i don't see a fan for cooling).

But then again, that is just my view on the situation. I will let other community members chime in on this.

Click. Like that one.
    Or if it were me i'd buy this Click and then wire that to a power supply i have.
    Last edited by trax de max; 01-24-2015 at 06:32 AM.
    Google search trumps Wiki. Refer to user guide.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by trax de max View Post
    Click. Like that one.
    Or if it were me i'd buy this Click and then wire that to a power supply i have.
    Trax, I think he is looking for something with a power supply/something that will plug into the wall outlet. The first link might work but I don't see any output specs on it. Maybe I'll look again...

Nevermind... that first link would work. It outputs 5.8A so it WILL work.

RC poster
    You can easily find from its specifications mentioned on the manual or the box provided by the manufacturer that it will work on your desired rating or not.

Quote Originally Posted by VaughnDecosta View Post
    You can easily find from its specifications mentioned on the manual or the box provided by the manufacturer that it will work on your desired rating or not.
    You may want to find some more recent threads to post in. There is no need to necropost.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Racer
    Far as I am concern this is the best bang for your buck for an AC to 12vdc converter. They are about $25 from eBay and they are an HP server power supply.

Rated at 12v - 75amps.

You just need to know how to solder to make it work. Need to solder on the power leads and a switching wire to activate it (connect terminal 33 to 36).