RC poster

$800 and more work and down time than enjoyment

For Christmas my wife got me a Slash 4x4 Ultimate lcg , 2-11.1v 5000 mAp batteries, and a 6 amp charger. I was thrilled.
    but after 3 uses the radio lost connection to the truck. Made a call to traxxas (after trying to sync on my own) and was told I must have gotten it wet but he would take care of it this one time for me. thanks a lot! accuse me of something and then act like your doing me a favor by honoring the warranty. this truck (which has waterproof electronics) has not been in water! The closest this thing got to water is a dusting of snow on the parking lot at my store. anyway, the receiver failed on thursday and wanting to use the truck over the weekend, I decided to go to Hobbytown and pick-up a receiver instead of waiting. Saturday afternoon I ran the truck for about a half hour at my store in a dry parking lot and on grass. did a little work, and decided to take the truck out again. About an hour in between runs. Connected the battery, turned around to grab the radio, and when i turned around heard a crackling sound and saw smoke! It was coming from the speed control.
    Is this a common problem? This is a hobby I have always wanted to get into and now I am wondering why. four uses and now I will be waiting for more parts after a phone call to traxxas tomorrow for the second time. we went with traxxas because they were supposed to be good quality and durable. No jumps, no mud, no water, and the truck cant handle this? Is this a rare case or do I have more of this coming my way?

It is very unusual to have such problems, but it is not unheard of either (from any manufacture).

Don't get upset with the Traxxas guys, they get lots of phone calls from people who claim that they did nothing but baby their RCs, which in true they treated like a submarine. So, when they get a call from someone what really did not do anything, they default to what they see most often. Traxxas tech support is one of the best in the RC business (not number one, but very close).

For your RX, they fail, sadly. Traxxas RXs are normally fairly durable, but even if you got the truck wet, the RX box still should have protected it.

The ESC is a different story. I have a VXL that is in a 2WD Slash made just for snow, gets snow piled on top of it when it is running, and it still goes strong. Don't get upset, but it sounds like your battery terminals were reversed, that is not impossible to do with a Traxxas plug, but you have to go hard-core stupid to do it, basically pushing through the tough plastic. Was there any damage to the battery? Any swelling, smoke, or bad smell? What kind of batteries are they?

Your experiences are not the norm in this hobby, some people have bumps along the way, but hardly the catastrophic failures that you have had. There is only one RC company that I know that you can reasonably expect your electronics to fry in short order is Helion, if you make it through your first half pack you are lucky.

Give Traxxas another call, they will likely make things right.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    the batteries are Traxxas lipo 25c 11.1v 5000mAh. Ill give traxxas a call in the morning and hopefully they will handle this. Also forgot to mention, one of the tires is coming apart in the center of the tread. Not to upset about that, but couple it with everything else and it is very irritating. At this point Im regretting not just going cheap and settling for a Redcat xte pro. at least at a 3rd of the price if this happened i almost would have expected it and not be so frustrated.

My first rc car was this way. I eventually had a very steep learning curvevand everything started to go right then. It took a couple months but now at 4 years into the hobby I have 4 cars and 2 helis and im wanting even more.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

If you have the budget to do so I have a solution to all of your problems. Your motor system problems can be solved by ordering the Et -3s 2400 motor combination. You will also need the Castle Creations link card to turn off the live link. The card pays off because you are able to adjust throttle and brake curves. There are lots of other things you can use on the Castle Creations website to dial in your esc. Second get a Futaba 3PL 3-Channel 2.4GHz transmitter. That will not have telemetry but it will allow you to have good control of your truck. If you decide to go that route and need assistance please send me a PM and I will get you on the road. Traxxas makes quality products and I love them. Every now and then you may get a lemon. Don't be discouraged the company that is Traxxas and all of us on the forum are here to help you out
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    My goodness jay271, you're like the Badluck Bryan of slash owners to get all this after only a few packs. However running on 3s is not surprising to have some weird things happen, some VXL stand up fine some go poof really quickly. The truck is built around 2s (7.4v) batteries as stock.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by LtZerge View Post
    My goodness jay271, you're like the Badluck Bryan of slash owners to get all this after only a few packs. However running on 3s is not surprising to have some weird things happen, some VXL stand up fine some go poof really quickly. The truck is built around 2s (7.4v) batteries as stock.
    Bought the 3s on the recommendation of traxxas. told me 11.1v 5000map was best for my slash.

RC Racer
    Best for parts sales Lol...

Quote Originally Posted by jay271 View Post
    Bought the 3s on the recommendation of traxxas. told me 11.1v 5000map was best for my slash.
    For a new guy in the hobby, 2S is always a good place to start. Once you get some experience you can always go up, but getting 3S from the start is just setting you up for failure and frustration. BUT.... The electronics should have been able to handle 3S with no problems, 3S is typically REALLY hard on the rest of the truck.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    Mine did the same thing bought the 11.1v battery switched out to the 19 tooth pinion tuned everything like it said and first run not even 5 min maybe 2 minutes and my esc fried so bad all the wiring came off and I spent about what u spent so I'm pretty mad considering where I bought it from the owner told me it would do 60 outta the box and if I wanted it to go faster upgrade my battery he sold me to 7.2v lipos and I wouldn't even do 40 mph I'm going to call the BBB on them if theyou don't make it right I've spent well over 2,000 on toys from that Hobby shop within a Yr so ya really frustrated and was misled and I told the owner I was new too R/C cars he didn't even sell me the right adapter to charge my batteries SMH

To be honest, fixing things and sorting things out is a pretty large part of the hobby. For some it's enjoyable. I used to hate it, but now actually like it. You can do everything right and stuff will still break on your RC car. You can also do lots of things wrong and lots of stuff will break also.

These things aren't maintenance free, especially the way most of the cars are treated. Not to say that's what happened here, just the reality of the hobby. There is a lot to learn and understand, I learn something new almost everyday about RC stuff.
    youtube.com/c/RazorRCvideos

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorRC22 View Post
    To be honest, fixing things and sorting things out is a pretty large part of the hobby. For some it's enjoyable. I used to hate it, but now actually like it. You can do everything right and stuff will still break on your RC car. You can also do lots of things wrong and lots of stuff will break also.

These things aren't maintenance free, especially the way most of the cars are treated. Not to say that's what happened here, just the reality of the hobby. There is a lot to learn and understand, I learn something new almost everyday about RC stuff.
    I'll have to agree with fixing things and numerous hours of googling and youtubing trying to figure out what the problems can be is somewhat exciting for me. There are things that are 1/16 of an inch problems that have shut down my car. I think you just had some really bad luck but at least you have us as we are always willing to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Second get a Futaba 3PL 3-Channel 2.4GHz transmitter. That will not have telemetry but it will allow you to have good control of your truck.
    The Futaba 3PL is getting replaced by the 3PV in a couple months, which looks awesome!

http://www.futabarc.com/systems/futk3200-3pv/index.html
    Last edited by RazorRC22; 05-22-2016 at 12:34 PM. Reason: meh, telemetry is only receiver voltage...

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jay271 View Post
    the batteries are Traxxas lipo 25c 11.1v 5000mAh. Ill give traxxas a call in the morning and hopefully they will handle this. Also forgot to mention, one of the tires is coming apart in the center of the tread. Not to upset about that, but couple it with everything else and it is very irritating. At this point Im regretting not just going cheap and settling for a Redcat xte pro. at least at a 3rd of the price if this happened i almost would have expected it and not be so frustrated.
    Are you sure you didn't drive that thing like you stole it? I mean the tires dont just come apart. Anyways, hang in there. Traxxas makes a great product and they are pretty darn close to indestructible. SOLID TRUCKS.
    Traxxas UDR Fox Edition, TRX4, Slash 4x4.

The Futaba 3PL is getting replaced by the 3PV in a couple months, which looks awesome!

http://www.futabarc.com/systems/futk3200-3pv/index.html
    You are correct! That does look like a very quality transmitter! I may have to consider selling my 3PL and getting the new one. Thank you for sharing with the class

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    You are correct! That does look like a very quality transmitter! I may have to consider selling my 3PL and getting the new one. Thank you for sharing with the class
    Yup, I just sold my 3PL on eBay for $80 shipped, so it's only going to cost me about $30 to upgrade. Should be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by LtZerge View Post
    Thanks for saving me the time, I wish I had a dollar for every 3s killed my stock slash thread why?
    Did you check your temps?
    A 3s will get that motor to or beyond is max temp in five minutes or less.
    My neighbor bought a 4wd slash heck probably nearly a year ago.
    He run only 2s and I have replaced one stock axle shaft and this thing gets run at least 4 days a week 365 days a year in Michigan.
    I have a bag full of them but had I not it would have been a couple dollar fix.
    run 2s and run a long time trouble free, well unless you hit a tree at 30 mph.
    Run a 3s you have to check the motors temp every few minutes, get a heat sink and fan with thermal heat transfer past and let it cool when it gets to hot.
    The difference between a heat sink and fan vs the same heat sink and fan without thermal paste is like the difference between no heat sink at all.
    I use only Dow corning 340 with more then 60% metal oxide content for heat transfer.
    Well after all the rambling just plugging a 3s in should in no way let out the magic smoke, unless as Great scott said it got plugged in back word, its not that hard to do tho.
    I'm color blind and have done it twice, now i pay much closer attention when connecting them.
    If it helps I had five tekin Gen 2 RX-8s go up in flames the first time I plugged them in, we're talking $200 esc's here.
    They said many of the first one out came back because the automated soldering machine was putting to much solder on the positive cable shorting to the one next to it.
    I told them to open and test the next one before the even sent it, I think a couple went up on them as well.
    For Tekin being known as one of the better to top of the line rc esc and motors it must have been a pretty good kick in the pants.

Just for the record none of my seven rigs use fans or heat sinks. I use the 340 for a lot of different electronic projects around the house.
    A peltier plate cooling system is useless without thermal paste.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 05-22-2016 at 11:27 PM. Reason: added just for the record
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Yup, I just sold my 3PL on eBay for $80 shipped, so it's only going to cost me about $30 to upgrade. Should be worth it.
    That sounds like anice excellent idea! I may have to follow suit!

Billy, I don't use a heatsink paste. I use blue Loctite. It works incredibly well. It does an excellent job of connecting the heatsink to the motor to dissipate heat.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

It is Murphy's law. I got my truck for free and after fixing it up, new electronics, shocks diff's and all I have spent well into a grand and then some.

Radio 200
    esc 200
    motor 160
    shocks 100
    diff's 120, I have four now
    parts 300

They all add up so I mention this for you to see that you are not alone we all have had bad Murphy moment's
    Good luck getting your problems sorted, Traxxas has been good to me in the past with replacing bad parts!!
    Slash 4x4 Tekin RX8GenII w/Pro4 4300hd

RC Qualifier
    El sob said it best, as usual. Get that castle combo and a new radio. If you sell your brand new (refurbished) esc and motor along with your tx/rx on ebay that will really help with the upgrade price. That is strange though. My wife's stampede sees 3s often enough and it's been tough as nails. My co-worker also runs 3s on his vxl and it does fine. Geared 15/54 it takes about 20 min to get hot while bashing at the skate park. Because you want to run 3s, upgrade the electronics, it's worth it. You're going to keep breaking things but that truck is a tank on 2s.

Also, please don't regret not getting a red cat. I started with a volcano brushless, what a pile! I never made it through one battery pack in the year I owned it. I would but drive shafts by the dozen and still run out in a day. Switching to traxxas was the best thing I ever did. Oh, and my 1/8th rtr AE buggy burnt the esc and stripped the servo in the first week, so it's definitely not just traxxas.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

RC poster
    hey guys. im gonna be a slash 4x4 owner in about a week(haven't bought it yet). I bought a mini 8ight T like a month ago and it has made me sick with manufacturers defects to the point where I only drive it up and down my paved alley . so after seeing all the youtube videos with people beating the tar out of the slash , I figured this was the truck and this was the company for me. I don't beat on my stuff , I just want to race around the mountain trails and the park without parts breaking from light jumps under normal use or things just falling off. after reading all these horror stories on the slash , im having 2nd thoughts about dumping $500+ on this rc. whats the deal, I thought these thing were built tough as nails. someone please tell me these are very rare problems. I wanna get this slash so bad. this is my last hope. im almost turned off to RC as a WHOLE because of the Losi and all my helis (which are Horizon Hobby also). PLEASE, I need the light at the end of the tunnel to be a Slash 4x4 with on board audio. LOL

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 05-29-2016 at 08:50 AM.