RC Enthusiast

Drift setup slash 4x4

I've got a slash 4x4 and I wanna try a drift setup. I was wondering if anyone has tried this and what kind of they used. Is it cool ?

RC Qualifier
    A parking lot covered with ice and a half inch of snow, add a sidewinder 8th 2200kv and a 3s lipo. ..sideways for 25 minutes straight!

RC Racer
    But what about on dry asphalt? I think that would be a blast!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For dry weather, the easiest and almost zero $$ investment way to do it is just wrap the tires in electrical tape or duct tape and have fun. I did it one day and it drifted pretty sweet. Then when your done, just pull it right back off.

I used Ta2edphreaks method today though. LOL

4" PVC pipe works really well...

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...sh+4x4&tbm=vid
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-27-2015 at 09:25 AM. Reason: merge

RC Enthusiast
    I've heard cutting PVC to put over your tires work good too but I wasn't sure if anyone have done that. Snow isn't an option because I'm in beautiful Tampa FL where we never get anything but blazing hot and tropical humidity lol

RC Qualifier
    I use the PVC on my 2wd slash. Works okay. Cannot imagine how nice it will be in a 4wd slash
    If a RC never breaks, your doing it wrong

RC Champion
    I have the Mamba Mac set up and with all that power it spun these proline street frighters on dry pavement pretty easily. I put putty in the diffs to "lock" them and drove it as a kind of drift car thing. It was really fun.

Slash 4x4 built w/ RC4WD PRL RPM STRC TRX and MIP

RC Racer
    That's stance is awesome. Is that the lcg chassis? What else have you done to make it sit down like that? Loving that look man!
    Teton-The Mini Monstrosity
    Slash-Project "SR-71"

RC Racer
    It looks super low, and an rpm front bumper?

RC Competitor
    That looks sick!!

RC Racer
    @ Bash n Slash. how do you like those beadlocker wheels? Any issues with the high power setup you have? My only concern was the weight of those things, but I love the idea of not having to use glue

General question on the Pro-line Street Fighters and sticky street tires in general. My LHS advised me that the Street Fighters would cause traction rolls and compromise my ability to drift the car. Opinions? I was thinking about trying the SFs on the rear and trying to loosen the rear up via the sway bar. I'm a noob. Any suggestions are welcome.

The LHS basically said using tires like the stockers on the Slash is the best for pavement drifting. I wasn't expecting those answers for sure.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-16-2015 at 09:06 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    You will need very hard tires. Near plastic to drift.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-15-2015 at 11:21 PM.

RC Qualifier
    @ Fresno, I have the split six beadlocks as well, they are considerably heavier than stock wheels, but no gluing makes up for it. I have cc 2200kv sidewinder 8th and run 4s, I have had no problems at all with the rims and tires dealing with the power.

RC Champion
    Sorry guys didn't realise you had questions.
    Here's some more pics because why not

This is the chassis next to a penny... It's sooo low

Yes that is the stampede front bumper RPM. Works great. Perfect fit. And yeah it's the LCG chassis.

To get that low I simply moved the suspension to the inward spot on top and most outward on the a arms. I actually had a lot of pre load to make the ride stiff. Kept the truck planted on the road.

The beadlocks were awesome. The only thing I didn't like is that they were plastic. So it caused them to be stripped with steep gearing. I like that you don't have to glue tho. Since I stripped those I now have full aluminum beadlocks made by RC4WD called Raceline wheels. Amazing!!

I run the Mamba Max Pro and the 2400kv. It's enough power for the slash.

The street fighters are great for road use but no really for drifting Id say. They are to soft and even with "locked" diffs they don't allow the car to get sideways very easy. If the diffs were actually locked it would probably be good.

Any other questions just ask!

Quote Originally Posted by Ta2edphreak View Post
    @ Fresno, I have the split six beadlocks as well, they are considerably heavier than stock wheels, but no gluing makes up for it. I have cc 2200kv sidewinder 8th and run 4s, I have had no problems at all with the rims and tires dealing with the power.
    Hmm not sure what I'm doing wrong but I have stripped 3 sets of wheels with the Mamba Max. And it's only on 3s. It makes some real power but the 2200kv has way more power. That's good that you haven't had any problems tho. I haven't had an issue with the RC4WD wheels tho. I can post a pic of them if you'd like.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-16-2015 at 09:07 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    I have serrated wheel nuts, and I crank them down real tight before every run, im also using mip x duty front and rear and they come with steel wheel hexes. I dont know what im doing different than others on here but I have only once had wheels come loose on e and it was my fault for not checking them before I ran the truck. Now I check them before and during the run. (Batteries last a LONG time)

RC Champion
    I also run the MIP x duties. I guess the difference is I don't tighten mine super tight before each run. I crank them down when I put them on but don't usally check much after that. I'll be sure to check a lot from now on.