RC poster

Slash 2wd vxl or slash 4x4

Hi,

Im trying to decide wether to get a 2wd vxl or slash 4x4.

So, a few years back I wanted to get a slash 2wd but I was like 12 and got a bit impatient with my money and just picked up a 1/16 slash vxl. Now Im 15 and have a job so Im looking to pick up a new 1/10 SCT. Since I bought my mini slash I have converted it to a Mini e-revo. My question is seeing as I'm not exactly new to Rc should I get a 4x4 or a 2wd. Im looking to to bashing and make some vids with my gopro and other cameras. I do however want to do some racing, but my local course in Western Australia doesn't accept the 2wd slash in its 2wd sct comp. I'm hopping to do a heap of upgrades to my RC, and get a good run out of it.

RC poster
    Buy a Slash 4x4, because you can easily switch back and forth from 2wd to 4x4, and it's not as rear-heavy.

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlashBros View Post
    Buy a Slash 4x4, because you can easily switch back and forth from 2wd to 4x4, and it's not as rear-heavy.
    I dis agree with switching back and fourth, a 4wd with the shaft removed handles nothing like a 2wd.
    IMO if you know anyone or have a way give one or both a try before you buy.
    The 4wd will be very easy to drive, to much so for me.
    The 2wd can be quite a handful and very changeling.
    Its what you prefer in the end.
    I've accumulated a few of each now and my 2400 mmp 2wd is my go to rig, the one Id keep if the rest had to go.
    Nothing wrong with a 4wd either, theres a bit more to them but imo not enough to sway the decision one way or the other.
    I bought the wife a4wd pede for ease of driving and she loves it.
    Funny your track wont except the slash, its my understanding its the truck that started it all.
    Best of luck with your choice, you'll have a great rig either way you choose.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    I have owned both the Sla2h and the Sl4sh for years. They drive completely different. The 2wd is more challenging and more fun for me. I like kicking the rear of the truck out! The 4x4 is better at getting over stuff. For a basher on fairly clear and smooth terrain, I prefer the 2wd. If you are running in the rough stuff, the 4x4 is going to be best.

The Sla2h runs well with the Velineon combo. The only mandatory upgrade is aluminum castor blocks.

My Sl4sh has the Castle Creations Sidewinder 8th combo. I sold the Velineon combo right away because in my experience/opinion, the Velineon combo is way, way, way too weak for the Sl4sh.

I personally wouldn't alter a Sl4sh to try to make it be 2wd. I don't see how that wold work well at all.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    2WD,,,More Challenging if you like sliding and then punching it and keeping the front end down and turning.

I heard it's twice the parts than a 2WD and its one of my reason why I got the 2WD.

RC Qualifier
    I love running my slash vxl 2wd. One of my local tracks runs the sct 2wd all the time, makes it easy to go in and race. Another local track runs sct 2wd only one in a while, not enough people to run a heat. So if you show up its not a promise of racing. But they sure run lots of buggy races though. You might want to check out other local tracks and see what they race. If 4x4 is your best choice than you know what your buying. The say a 2wd will make you a better racer.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    I like driving the 2 w drive slash better. But... You get a lot more truck for the money. The platinum is best deal.... Many upgrades are done, and cheaper than the stock 4x4... Just need a radio.
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC poster
    Right, so I've decided to go with the slash 2wd. It sounds like a challenge to drive, and I like a good challenge. Unfortunately all my local hobby stores are out, and the few that do have them are like $100 dollars more expensive. So I've just put an order under my go to hobby store. Im looking for a good 2 or 3s lipo under $100 just to get me started. any suggestions? Also are there any upgrades you'd recommend to get strait up? maybe better springs? or some must have rpm parts?

Excellent choice. I drive my old Sla2h all the time and love it.

For LiPo, I'd recommend sticking with 2S (7.4v) hardcase.
    I recommend SPC $33 or SMC $25. I own both of these manufacturers' batteries. Here are the specific ones I recommend:
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=56
    http://www.smc-racing.net/index.php?...product_id=246

The only mandatory upgrade is aluminum castor blocks. The bendy stock plastic allows the king pin to get bent and jack up the steering.

If the Sla2h came with the old VXL, I would say sell it brand new on eBay and get a Castle SCT 3800 combo but I bet you are getting the new 4 pole combo. I have no experience with it so I can't say, "Yes" or "No." The new 4 pole could be awful or awesome.

The only other thoughts are to get the LCG chassis, linear springs, and new tires. But enjoy your new RC first. You can always upgrade it with these things later.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Competitor
    You could do a lot worse than this
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-b-25c-7600-2s2p-trx.html
    free shipping.

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    But you can do better also.....

I used to have over a dozen Gens Ace packs. They are truly great LiPo batteries. I still have one old 3S pack left. But, ouch, over twice the price of the SMC and only 25C. I'd rather pay less and have two packs. SMC and SPC just are a better value nowadays.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Competitor
    25c may seem low, but on a 7600mah pack ampere draw is same as 35c+ on a 5000mah pack. How is shipping on those sites? I might want to hit them up. I'm a sucker for huge capacity, but those are good prices if the shipping isn't too bad.

I'm into 5000mAh sized packs myself.

You could get an SMC 2S 7200mAh 60C pack for $40 or a 2S 9400mAh 60C pack (fits a Sla2h with an extender kit) for $55.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    I've looked at smc and spc, but shiping to australia is, more than the battery. It cost over $90 to ship where it live. Its cheaper for me to get a 5000mah 50c gens ace pack.

RC Competitor
    If you can find the right size, . . . makes great packs, and . . . has an Australia storefront.

Edit: Why on earth is . . . blacklisted?

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points; this also applies when a banned company or product name has been blocked by the language filter.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-29-2015 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by streetta View Post
    I've looked at smc and spc, but shiping to australia is, more than the battery. It cost over $90 to ship where it live. Its cheaper for me to get a 5000mah 50c gens ace pack.
    I don't think you can go wrong with Gens Ace. I really liked my packs a lot!
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    Im Looking at this charger. Is it a good charger for 2 and 3s lipos

http://www.skyrc.com/index.php?route...product_id=174

It says, "LiPo 1-6 cell." That charger is pushing $100.

The Thunder AC6 does LiPo 1-6 cells too and it's under $50.
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbac...6J5xoCG6nw_wcB
    Obstacle Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    It says, "LiPo 1-6 cell." That charger is pushing $100.

The Thunder AC6 does LiPo 1-6 cells too and it's under $50.
    http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbac...6J5xoCG6nw_wcB
    And for that low low price it tends to cook battery packs. IMO and experience it is dangerous many times over.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

My friends have had nothing negative to say about the AC6 charger but ksb51rl, you've had a bad experience with the Thuunder AC6? If so, I'd like to know a better recommendation then. Thanks.

P.S. I own the Hyperion EOSO720i.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    Tenergy-TB6-B-Balancing-Charger-Battery is a good charger.Got to get a power supply separately.

RC poster
    plus shipping the Thunder ac6 will cost pretty much the same. which one is overall better would you say?

I lost 3 packs cause the a6 was overcharging cell one on all my packs.
    I have the 730i acdc. The 720 is much more powerful. Please stay away from the cheap clone China chargers...

Hyperion is an excellent choice. There are other high quality chargers avail at reasonable prices.
    If your gonna be a rc supernut, look into the powerlab units. It all depends on how much your willing to spend.
    For under 100$, traxxas
    Over 100$, Hyperion
    Over 200$, powerlab

My friends have had nothing negative to say about the AC6 charger but ksb51rl, you've had a bad experience with the Thuunder AC6? If so, I'd like to know a better recommendation then. Thanks.

P.S. I own the Hyperion EOSO720i.
    Quote Originally Posted by rag6 View Post
    I lost 3 packs cause the a6 was overcharging cell one on all my packs.
    I have the 730i acdc. The 720 is much more powerful. Please stay away from the cheap clone China chargers...

Hyperion is an excellent choice. There are other high quality chargers avail at reasonable prices.
    If your gonna be a rc supernut, look into the powerlab units. It all depends on how much your willing to spend.
    For under 100$, traxxas
    Over 100$, Hyperion
    Over 200$, powerlab
    You got off lucky. A friend had four packs damaged in the same way - three were absolutely trashed - and some forum members experienced the special "charge 'til the cells swell like mylar balloons" feature.
    jvogel, unfortunately some of the accounts of this charger failing have been removed from this forum because of non-Traxxas vendor support, uncivil behavior, or other inappropriateness.

FWIW, here are the wholesale prices for the reference chargers the AC6 and family are copied from:
    IMAXB6AC+ 80W $19.82
    IMAXB680AC $18.92
    IMAXB6AC $17.13
    IMAXB6 $12.03

Lotsa quality goes into the components of a $12 - $20 charger, not to mention calibration and testing.

@recommendations: rag6 has some good suggestions. I'd add the Junsi iCharger line, like the 106B+, 206, 208, etc. These three range from $90 to $125 but all require a DC power source. Not much wrong with the DTX Onyx charger line either, except that they typically have no storage feature and are low power. I just bought a like-new Onyx 245 for $50. This dual charger was for a friend and I'd much rather hand him one of these than anything sold under the Thunder name.

As a reminder for those unaware: Thunder is NOT the same as Thunder Power, which makes decent chargers and batteries.

@rag6: Who you callin' a nut?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-29-2015 at 08:32 PM.

Thanks for the info. I'm oh so happy I have a Hyperion charger!
    Obstacle Magnet

Thanks for the info. I'm oh so happy I have a Hyperion charger!
    The EOS0720i is a good unit, but I wish the EOS0730i's were still going for $100 shipped. They're a good deal even @ $140 shipped.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 01-29-2015 at 09:48 PM.

You ksb... You....

I have seen your pile....

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperSlashBros View Post
    Haha never heard of this before. Its not a real car ao it wouldnt be the same

RC Qualifier
    I would go with the 2wd brushless one. 4wd is better for racing but for bashing 2wd is great! I have it and love it. And it's Easter to work on.

Quote Originally Posted by streetta View Post
    Hi,
    I do however want to do some racing, but my local course in Western Australia doesn't accept the 2wd slash in its 2wd sct comp.
    Out of interest, which WA club/track are you talking about?

I used to live in WA and with my two sons used to race Slash 2WDs weekly at WCMRC in Bayswater. With STRC LCG chassis conversions we did quite well with my elder son TQing and even taking a few A-main finals against SC10s and Blitzs.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car