RC poster

grease leak? or normal

hey, so I've had this question for a long time now but I have been to lazy to ask. So I have noticed that lots of grease leaks out in front of the motor collet I'm not sure if this is because liner is too small( allowing leakage) or if this is a common problem. The other question that I have is the hole that is on my strut I don't know what thats for. All I know is that like all my grease likes to run out of it.

P.S this may first post but I'm not a new to the hobby.

thanks; Lachlan

The hole in the strut is to oil the bushings inside. It is normal for some of the grease to escape. On the inside that is normal as well. You can stop some of this by scooting your brass stuffing tube farther up. I see that you have slipped it back to keep the grease but it is better to keep it forward and it frees up the driveline so you can adjust it. Also another thing to help with that would be to not grease the inch that goes into the collet. You don’t need the grease in the collet and any excess grease on the exposed shaft will fling off as you experienced. Hope this helps!
    37 Fightercat Shocker 10S
    Traxxas Spartan Stock

RC poster
    thanks!

Is it important to oil the bushings in the strut? or is the grease that leaks out enough; because I've never oiled the bushings. What weight of oil do you recommend when doing so and how often should it be oiled if needed?

sorry for all the questions.

thanks; Lachlan

I never oiled mine. The grease that I put on the flex cable was enough to keep the bushings lubricated. Thats what we are here for!
    37 Fightercat Shocker 10S
    Traxxas Spartan Stock

There is a way to measure all that stuff for an exact setup (I wrote a post on it), but a general rule of thumb is that your brass stuffing tube should stick out 1/4 of an inch out of your electronics tray towards your collet. Your brass stuffing tubes' nylon liner should not stick out past your brass stuffing tube on the collet end. If I were you, I would grease your flex shaft up to where it's been soldered. The reason for this is because, you don't want any part of that nylon tube heating up. If that tube melts, it can cause catastrophic damage. Normally, the grease (due to the screw effect of the flex shaft) travels from the collet end of your brass stuffing tube down and out the prop end of your stuffing tube. If you decide to take my advise, you will have very little (if any) grease ending up by your collet.

If your nylon tube spins and works it's way towards your collet when running your boat, you can do one of two things. One, grease the outside of your brass stuffing tubes' nylon liner before sliding it in your brass stuffing tube, and then grease/install your flex shaft. Or two, super glue your nylon liner tube into your brass tube. Gluing, is one of the things the racers at Areomarine do. Some get rid of their nylon tubes all together, and just run brass. And some, run wire drives. There's a lot of set ups you can try. I myself run brass, cuz it's faster than nylon, it lets me run stock parts, and it lets me mod to the point of not having grease messes after runs.

Last edited by ReglarGuy; 01-30-2015 at 08:26 AM.

RC poster
    Alright I'll move my nylon liner back and move my brass tube up by 1/4" as you said. You also said that you can remove the nylon tube completely and just run the brass; what would be the down fall of doing so? do you recommend it?

thanks for all the responses it's a big help.

Lachlan

to move the brass tube forward I will have to move it a couple mm out of the black gasket/seal. Will that allow water to come into the boat as the tube is not as far into the seal?
    Last edited by cooleocool; 01-31-2015 at 09:54 AM. Reason: merge

Yes it would. That brass tube has to be in the grommet. It sounds like your brass tube is to short. Normally, you should be able to have that quarter inch sticking out on the collet end, and still have enough tube to go through the grommet. In fact, if you didn't have a grommet in, the tube would be flush with the outside grommet hull hole.

That's kind of how you set normally set things up. You have it going through the hole, and flush on the back end (picture), and on the other end of the brass tube will be very, very close to sticking out a quarter of an inch on the collet end. If not, you may want to look into a new brass tube or grommet...cuz, something's going on there.

If/when someday you ever decide to go with replacing the nylon tube with a brass tube, you will need to get/make a reducer brass tube. I can't on the top of my head remember what size you need, but it's smaller that the tube you have now in your Spartan.

I however, went further than just making a reducer tube, and replacing my nylon tube with it. I made my reducer tube solder into my strut, so that the grease comes out at my prop instead of all over the back of my boat. It's a little involved to do that, but I did write a post on how I did that if you care to look it up....down the road, I'll get that tube size for you just incase you need it someday.

RC poster
    thanks sooooo much for all the info; sorry about the late reply. I ordered another brass tube so hopefully everything should be good. Sounds like you've done a lot of modding on your spartan maybe one day I'll get there but I'm the sort of guy upgrade all the electronics first... hardware later but then you get the problems when the stock stuff cant hold up. thanks again, and if you do know the tube size for the on brass mod can let me know s I might look into that.

lachlan

Mr. Cottage, that brass tube size is 3/16 of an inch.

RC poster
    thanks dude it will be a big help to keeping my Spartan clean and running smooth.

Lachlan

If you go with the way (pictured above) I went with a 3/16 brass tube instead of nylon, there is more things you need to do. Look at post "No Fuss, No Muss & No Grease Spooge". It's on the bottom of this forums' page. There, I show you what else you need to do.