Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Enthusiast

Got a new 1/16 brushed e revo. Questions

Ok so I got the e revo 1/16 brushed. It's been 10+yrs since I've had an rc car and after looking at reviews, differences, etc this one sounded pretty sweet. First question, after a fun time outside can you actually rinse it off with a hose? (I read somewhere you could). Also, I've read a lot of people switch to aluminum chassis, better to wait til these ones break or just upgrade? Next, it came with a 7.2v NiMH 1200MAH battery with iD. What is the best battery to go with my car to get better run time without having to get too many upgrades/add ons? Lastly, for now, if I'm just playing with it for fun (at parks, in the road, yard etc) is it worth it for me to go brushless?

Any input for my questions or just in general would be awesome. I'm just glad to get back to my old hobby.

RC Racer
    I dont have an answer for you but please post a review of it in a little while cause I am thinking about getting that same truck.

I have only used the stock chassis. You can rinse it with a hose. Brushless is definitely worth it. There is way more power and way less maintenance. You should get a lipo battery. Spc has a 2500mah 2s battery that I recommend. You will also need a new charger.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Racer
    First question, after a fun time outside can you actually rinse it off with a hose?
    A: You can, but I would strongly suggest adding a drop of oil to your bearings and one small drop to your motor. Also, please keep in mind that any metal parts can and will rust, so maybe a quick wipedown with an oiled rage on the screws/bolts too. I ran mine in the snow, and a week later noticed a lot of rust starting. Also, let it dry for a while just in case any water gets inside the receiver box, or in the servo.

Also, I've read a lot of people switch to aluminum chassis, better to wait til these ones break or just upgrade?
    A: Stick with the plastic chassis. It is pretty strong, and alot cheaper to replace if it breaks. Rule of thumb is to not replace things until they break. Unless you are upgrading for the sake of making a shelf queen, save your money for needed repairs. I still have one that is all stock after a year of running, and I beat on it pretty hard.

Next, it came with a 7.2v NiMH 1200MAH battery with iD. What is the best battery to go with my car to get better run time without having to get too many upgrades/add ons?
    A: Lipos will extend the run time, so I would suggest getting a pair of batteries and a good charger.

Lastly, for now, if I'm just playing with it for fun (at parks, in the road, yard etc) is it worth it for me to go brushless?
    A: IMHO, I would, but I am a speed freak, so I only use brushless motors in my RCs. Brushless motors will last longer than brushed, but at more cost as well. If it goes fast enough for you, maybe stick with that until your motor gives out, then consider the upgrade at that point.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks all for the input. I really appreciate and will keep in mind all the advice.

RC Champion
    Remember that you can RINSE it down with a hose, but don't SPRAY it down..... Its fine to let the hose run over the car, but do NOT put your finger over the opening or use anything that screws on the end to get more pressure. High pressure water can easily find its way past seals into the radio box, servo, and bearings.

As for lipo and brushless, Yes and Yes even for us non speed freaks.... I mostly run my trucks in training mode. The lower speed gives longer runtimes and less broken parts..... Brushless has more advantages than just speed. Brushless motors are also more efficient, which means that if you run a brushed truck and a brushless truck at the same speed, the brushless truck will use less mah out of the battery. I have planes that I converted from brushed to brushless and doubled my flight time on the same battery... Its not normally that dramatic with surface rc because you also get more speed, which uses more power...
    The other advantage to brushless is maintenance, or rather, lack of.... Brushed motors WILL wear out. The brushes are a wear item, and are not replicable on this truck. Brushless motors don't have brushes to wear out, so the motor will last as long as the bearings do, and bearing are replaceable. One brushless motor will last through MANY brushed motors before bearings need replacement.....

If you are set up to run lipo, definitely do.
    I just weighed my packs...A 2200mah lipo weighs about 2/3 what a 1200mah nimh does.... two 1200mah nimh packs weigh 10 ounces and give you a total of 2400mah. ONE 2 cell lipo pack weighs 3.75oz and gives 2200mah... 200mah less, but saves 6.25oz of weight, which means higher speed and longer runtime, the 200 less mah are MORE than made up for by the lighter weight.... Two 2200mah lipos weigh 7.5 ounces and give 4400mah... so close to DOUBLE the capacity, but still saving 2.5oz of weight over two nimh.... Lipos are a win-win-win.... Higher speed, more runtime, less weight..... No brainer really....
    Last edited by dacaur; 02-06-2015 at 03:53 PM.
    Dacaur

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome detail for the hose rinsing. That's what I was gonna ask next. So I will be upgrading to brushless and definitely plan on getting the lipo batteries. I took it out twice today to give it some practice runs (in the snowy street) and this thing is a blast! I am stoked for spring time and a heck of a lot of driving time.

RC Enthusiast
    Also for a charger I would recommend a Imax b6ac charger which is pretty cheap and can charge both lipo and nimh

RC Champion
    I can second that charger suggestion... its a great charger, though I have the one without AC... I just use a laptop transformer to use it on AC....
    Dacaur

RC Racer
    I'm using the Radient Primal charger, chargers nimh and lipos up to I think 5 amps? Got it for I think 40$

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the charger tips folks. I'll probably get a charger that's for lipo and NiMH batteries as I'll have both. When hosing it off should I tuck the hook up for the battery on the esc? Will the water ruin anything just rinsing it off? Just want to make sure I don't screw it up.

RC Qualifier
    I use my compressor to blow down all the crap off my cars. And then hit it with electrical cleaner spray. Do not hose it down!

RC Enthusiast
    Gorilla, reasons for not hosing it down? Any suggestions for lipo's for my 1/16 revo? Can I run lipo's on the brushed motor before I upgrade to brushless? If so recommendations for batteries that'll be good for brushed and brushles?

RC poster
    The receiver box is not fully waterproof. I've learned the hard way. Trust me

RC Champion
    The receiver box, when properly installed, is fully water resistant. Traxxas states in the manual its water resistant. They clearly state that " the model should not be treated as though it is submersible or totally, 100% waterproof." Water resistant simply means that it can be splashed with water. Holding the truck under a running hose, as long as you are not holding your finger over the opening or using some sort of pressure increasing device, is no different than being splashed, and should not cause a problem.... Ive done it many times and never had an issue... Im not sure how else you would clean it off after running in the mud other than disassembling it.....

If you have opened the receiver box and did not properly reinstall the seals, you will get water in your receiver box...
    If you treat the truck like a submarine, you will get water in your receiver box.
    If you spray the truck with high pressure water, you will get water in your receiver box.

Of course you don't want to hose it off and put it away wet... the manual also clearly states that running in wet conditions, there is extra maintenance to perform (including rinsing it off with low pressure water from a hose)
    Dacaur

RC Racer
    Yeah people don't seem to get water-PROOF and water-RESISTANT, there is a HUGE difference.

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome explanation. Thank you. Any suggestions on lipo batteries for a brushed(eventually brushless) e revo 1/16?

RC Champion
    You can go with one or two 2 cell lipos (in parallel) but with brushed, it will shorten your motors life due to more power and longer runtime.... If you plan to go brushless within a few months you should be ok, it will shorten the motors life, but not drastically....

for brushed, the C rating isn't too important, but for brushless, get something with at least a 30C rating... I would stick with 2 cells even with brushless.... 3 cells is just too much unless all you want to do is speed runs....
    Dacaur

RC Enthusiast
    Cool. Thanks dacaur. Ya I plan on going brushless about a month or 2.

RC Enthusiast
    Alright, so now I'm wondering how to make this fun little thing handle offroad/normal (somewhat tall) grass/snow good. Any suggestions?

RC Champion
    convert it to a summit.....

The stock tires have horrible traction in the grass... It goes better than most minis in the grass, but once you upgrade the tires, you will never go back...

What you need for grass is ground clearance. So taller tires are #1,
    I chose big joe II's when I converted my mini revo to a summit... If you don't want to go quite that far, pr-line trenchers would be my second choice. still a bit taller than stock, but much more tracton. watch your temps, it might be wise to go down a tooth or two even with the trenchers.

#2 is lower gearing, yes it will lower your top speed a little on pavement, but it will go a lot faster in the grass, plus you will get longer runtimes and cooler electronics. I put a 16T pinion on mine with the big joe II's.

Just those tjhee things will get you a lot more performance off road... But for a few bucks more, you can get it WAY better....

With the heavier tires, you need stiffer springs, and heaver than stock shock oil to control them.
    I recommend purple summit springs and 60-70wt shock oil...

Once you have all that, f you want to complete the summit conversion and get extra wheel travel, you just need the summit rockers.....

Here are my two summits, the one with the red truck body was converted from a mini revo

Last edited by dacaur; 02-11-2015 at 12:16 PM.
    Dacaur

RC Enthusiast
    Awesome thanks dacaur. I'm definitely gonna look into the bigger tires, lower gearing and such. Might wait to see how it goes before thinking about the springs, oil and rockers. I appreciate all the help dude.

RC Enthusiast
    Are the lipo bags a must have? I have read a crap load about the batteries and understand there are dangers with them but if properly used, charged, discharged, stored etc is it really needed? Is it more of a preference for safety reasons? Just wondering if I should actually get a couple.

RC Enthusiast
    Also would the summit tires/wheels handle as well as the trenchers/desperados? I kind of like the look of the summit tires(red wheels to match my car) but planNed on getting the other choice

RC Competitor
    I have a spc racing 2s 2500mah lipo In my mini e Revo currently. It has so far worked very well for me and at a low cost too. You DO NOT want your lipo to get wet. It could ruin it. I like the proline trenchers on my e Revo.

RC Champion
    Lipo bags, in my opinion, are a bad idea. All they do is hide the signs that the lipo is going to burn up.... When a lipo catches fire, it doesn't happen suddenly. There is almost always quite a bit of time where you can catch it and get it out of the house beforehand... First the lipo begins to produce gas inside, which causes it to swell... there is no fire until it swells to the point that it finaly bursts its foil pouch.... So if you can acutaly SEE the lipo, you can see it swelling... you should NEVER charge a lipo unattended, which, if you use a lipo bag, you might as well be doing......
    Sure, it will normaly contain the fire, but it cannot contain the acrid SMOKE, which will RUIN anything it comes in contact with. Walls, clothes, electronics, etc, you cant wash it off....

If you plan to charge unattended, which you should NOT do, then by all means, use a lipo bag, but other than that, I wouldn't get one.

For the summit tires, they wont have the traction of the trenchers, but, IMO, are better than the revo talons off road.... They are significantly larger than the talons or trenchers though... the stock mini revo talons are just over 3 inches tall, trenchers are 3.2 inches tall... my fairly worn canyons (mini summit tires) are 4 inches tall... what that means is that need to gear down to keep from making a lot more heat.... Stock mini summit gearing is a 16t pinion, vs 28t stock on the mini revo vxl. but those are both brushless, You still have a brushed motor right? stock mini revo brushed comes with a 23t pinion.... which means going down to a 16t pinion might not be enough to keep the motor from overheating.... Plus, looking at the manual, a 16t pinion wont fit anway... the lowest gearing that will fit is 18/55, which gives just a little lower gearing than the stock mini summit brushless 16/50 gearing... so might not be low enough... I wouldn't attempt it without a temp gun to check temps every few min at first.... Might be better to stick with the trenchers for now.... unless you are just wating for the brushed motor to burn out to go brushless.... then go for it

As for lipos, I have gotten plenty of them wet, never had a problem with it.... If it was salt water, I can see you might have an issue, but not freshwater/puddle water, unless its the puddles around a salt farm
    Dacaur

RC Enthusiast
    Alright thanks for the info dacaur. I was just wondering because everywhere I checked it was said to use a bag for the lipo's. But that makes perfect sense about it hiding them from sight and all. Ya I am still running with the brushed motor. So I'll go with the trenchers for now and maybe check out others after I go brushless. I appreciate all the help you've given Dacaur

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by papablake View Post
    Gorilla, reasons for not hosing it down? Any suggestions for lipo's for my 1/16 revo? Can I run lipo's on the brushed motor before I upgrade to brushless? If so recommendations for batteries that'll be good for brushed and brushles?
    Water is bad for all metal and electrics, bearings. I know they say its "water proof", But driving it on the bottom of a pool is not recommended.. Batteries, SPC 2s and 3s are really good and affordable. Got2gorc batts are simply the best, but more expensive. Not max amps expensive. I have some of each and I go to SPC mostly for all of my cars. I just picked up this charger from LHS. It is smaller and better than the 3s charger I have carried for 5 yrs... It charges everything.. Hook your prius up to it...
    [IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by gorilla2891; 02-15-2015 at 02:14 PM.

RC Qualifier
    The only reason I have lipo bags, is to ship my batts from wa to ca. And soon from ca to wa. At home I charge my batts as I tinker with my cars and never an issue. 6yrs of lipo and no issues except for a couple bloated packs due to improper storage. Most came with rollers I bought, one of my own from no maitainence.. Nihms are actually more dangerous..

RC Qualifier
    Yup SPC lipos are the best. And lipos are not dangres
    RC. an addiction I'm proud of

RC Enthusiast
    Ya I understand you goriila, there could be an issue with water possibly ruining or messing up parts of the car without proper care etc. I appreciate the 2 cents about the lipo's. That's kind of what I thought about them, just wanted to hear it from people that use/have them. Thanks for the input!

RC Enthusiast
    Ok so I've been looking at the upgrade to brushless. Doing the power up program seems like a good idea so I can get the motor/esc cheaper. Looking at the vxl-3s and 3500 motor. Any suggestions for a better or just as good "waterproof" set up?

RC Champion
    I recommend just going with the vxl3m esc and 380 motor. The vxl3s wont fit in the stock ESC spot like the vxl-3m will, and the 3500 is a 550 size "big block" motor. The only reason to go big block is if you want to go as fast as possible in a straight line (look how fast my truck is!). The extra weight up high of a 550 size motor kills your handling when bashing, makes landings from jumps harder, and requires extra pre-load and thicker shock oil.... The 380 brushless motor is really all you need. On anything more than 2 cell lipo is basically uncontrollable, but if you feel the need for speed runs, you can still get 65+MPH out of it on good 3 cell packs)

The traxxas powerup program will work if you want to go that way, but I would just check ebay for an ESC/motor... You will end up paying about the same for a new one, or save $20 for a used set, but you get to keep your old ESC/motor, you can put it in something else or make a few bucks selling it...
    Dacaur

RC Enthusiast
    Ya I was looking at the 380 motor/3m motor/esc combo until the hobby shop guy said it's a better deal for the bigger upgrade and would fit fine... I'm starting to wonder if the list guys know much because they've told me quite different info then I've gotten from you dacaur and others I've talked to. Thanks for the input man. The 380 combo or something similar sounds good for my liking. Appreciate it dude

RC Enthusiast
    Hobby shop guys not list guys ^^

RC Champion
    I guess technically the 3500 combo is a "better deal" if all you are looking at is money... But a great deal on something that's not really ideal for what you need, isn't really that great a deal if you ask me....
    If I go into a hardware store for a hammer to pound some nails, and they offer me a "great deal" on a sledge hammer, well, while I may technically be saving money on the sledge hammer vs buying it full price, and while I could technically use the sledge hammer to pound nails, am I really getting a great deal, when what I am getting is really just going to complicate things and make pounding nails harder than if I had just gotten the hammer that's right for the job?

Big blocks are great for going really, really fast. But if you want to drive your truck anyplace other than pavement, 380 is the way to go.
    Dacaur

RC Enthusiast
    Ya I get your saying. I guess I meant they are telling me things hoping for me to spend a little more money with them. It is business. But thanks again man.

RC Enthusiast
    Some good info in here, thanks guys.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok just wondering, is there a castle creations motor/esc combo that would be good with my car? Also, if I am to get the 380 combo what parts do I replace? Motor mount etc.

RC Champion
    Yea, you can use the 1/10 sidewinder and 4600kv motor combo, but that adds weight, negatively affecting your handling, and you need to figure out a way to mount the ESC. Or you can use the sidewinder ESC with the vxl380 brushless motor if you want,

but for simplest plug and play, just get the VXLm ESC and traxxas 380 motor and motor mount, then you just unscrew your motor mount, screw the new one on, slide out your old ESC and slide the new one into the same spot, plug it all in, calibrate the ESC, and drive..... Unless you are looking for beyond insane speed in a straight line, there is no reason to go beyond the traxxas brushless setup, as the stock brushless is already capable of insane speed in a straight line, if that's what you are into.... Just installing the traxxas brushless setup with stock revo 28/50 gearing will nearly double your speed...

Just go to ebay and search "1/16 traxxas VXL motor mount" and you can pick up all you need to mount the 380vxl for under $15, shipped.
    Dacaur

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast