Thread: Overcharging

RC Competitor

Overcharging

My 6amp TRX Charger has overcharged my NiMH by 10%. HOT!!! Thank god I was near it.

First, should I throw away my NiMH now? (Probably I should)

Also, what do you guys think what's the issue? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Asiandude View Post
    My 6amp TRX Charger has overcharged my NiMH by 10%. HOT!!! Thank god I was near it.

First, should I throw away my NiMH now? (Probably I should)

Also, what do you guys think what's the issue? Thanks.
    Not enough information for a good answer. What size battery, what
    amps did you charge it at, have you programmed your charger for
    the battery your charging? Also, NiMH's will sometimes be quite warm
    after a charge. Where did you get 10% over number?

10% by voltage? 10% by capacity? What is "HOT"?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    10% by Mah. It was a 3000 mah, so 300. Not so hot, but it did damage my pack.

It's not uncommon for quality NiMh packs to take more capacity then they're rated. Basically the cells are rated at 3,000mah but I regularly charge mine to 3,200 - 3,500mah if they're completely dead. It's also normal for NiMh batteries to get hot while charging, lowering the amperage will reduce the temp somewhat. Be aware the EZ Peak charger has a safety cutoff built in that's factory set to 120 minutes. If it takes longer than that to charge (3000mah pack at 1A will take approx. 3 - 3.5hrs for EX) you'll need to either increase the amount of time available or restart the charge.

It's important to let the batteries cool between cycles. So after charging let them cool before running, and after running they'll be hot again so allow them to cool before charging.

RC Competitor
    True. I do let them cool down and them charge them again. But the charger is weird. Cooled down, charged at 1C, and after an hour, no beep. Forgot about the charger charging and after some 10 min, beep and 3300 MAH charged and damaged battery. Sometimes, it charges less than what was it suppose to charge and start the charge again, which is better than a damaged battery but my 15$ NiMH Tenergy cheap peak charger which I bought as I started the hobby does the job better than the 70$ TRX.

The only way it's going to overcharge the NiMh packs is if the delta peak threshold has been adjusted up too high. I did this once by accident and put over 3000mah into a 1500mah pack, that did destroy the battery but was no fault of the charger. If you have it at the setting that says "default" (factory) it should charge the batteries without issue.

Simply putting 3300mah into a 3000mah pack is not, by itself, going to damage the battery. Something else is causing your issues. You may want to send the pack(s) and charger in for evaluation. I've never heard of a fault wherein the charger overcharges the packs and our Repair Lab can verify correct function.

RC Competitor
    I guess the damage of my pack would have a lot of things which could be putten, not only the charger. I guess I will have to adjust, then until it fits. Thanks.