Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: today

RC Qualifier

today

Today (right now) its currently a balmy -16 without the wind chill factor, theybare outside now plowing the parking lot I play in. My 3s and 4s are charging. Man I cant wait to play!

not a great pic, my driveway is in between my house and the church parking lot, c'mon ez peak plus!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-16-2015 at 08:59 AM. Reason: merge

I will run when it is cold but not that cold! Usually...
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Racer
    Wanted to go out with my son bad yesterday.... But it was - 10 with windchill.... Just too cold for a 4 year old and his old man.

Traxxas Marshal
    Just be careful! Plastic gets brittle in the cold. At -16, I'd hate to see what a high-speed crash would do!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Qualifier
    Thats the beauty of it. There is nothing to hit, and the base is frozen solid so no pot holes to deal with. Just slide ways fun. I usually run 20 mins or so then go inside for a bit to let the truck warm up a bit. It hasn't been this cold of a run yet since I got it though..I wonder if I left it outside if the telemetry would read below zero?

Right now!
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-16-2015 at 09:41 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    What tires are you runing? I love runing i the snow!
    RC. an addiction I'm proud of

RC Qualifier
    Im running proline trenchers medium compound on proline split six beadlocks with the included blue foams, works super well for hard packed snow ice stuff and slush as well. The wear is minimal since its a very low traction surface im running on which is awesome as well

Suprised at how sticky the tires were after the run. Got 27 mins out of a 5500mah 3s to around storage voltage, big temp on the motor was 66 degrees. that was fun.

I meant I was suprised at how sticky they were for how cold it was, not sure why it was starred out...when I was done touching the tires with my gloves the tires would stick to my hand, kinda cool.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-17-2015 at 10:05 AM. Reason: merge

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I am such a wimp!!! I put my XO-1 diffs in last night, oiled the bearings, fixed some other minor stuff and she's just sitting there begging to be driven. The sun is out and it has "warmed up" to ZERO right now.

You sir, are HARD CORE!!!! LOL

Im running proline trenchers medium compound on proline split six beadlocks with the included blue foams
    Me too. They are great in the snow.

RC Qualifier
    I have I have proline trenchers on my rustler. If you made some chains you will be blown away! I took my chains off to see how well they did. Needless to say 5mi. Later they where back on. They are awesome on hardpack like a parking lot

RC Qualifier
    I have entertained the idea of chains, just not sure on how they work or how heavy they are and stuff.

Man! I give it to you guys. You are truly hardcore! It was good and hot for me to run my truck over the weekend. Can't imagine below zero!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Ta2edphreak View Post
    I have entertained the idea of chains, just not sure on how they work or how heavy they are and stuff.
    There are some good YouTube vids on how to make them. They are not that heavy and I use #16 jack chain. You won't be sorry you made them

RC Qualifier
    I can't wait to get them out too.

We have no where near the amount of snow the eastern United States have.
    But it's dry and cold.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post

Man! I give it to you guys. You are truly hardcore! It was good and hot for me to run my truck over the weekend. Can't imagine below zero!
    Ha wish it was that warm then I can get started building my track in my big back yard! If only the ground would thaw

And we top it so far, -22c, with the wind factor -35c. It s a habit in Montreal.....thats wehy I have not been out for the past two weeks
    Live life to the fullest

RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Aww man. You had to tease us. OK. That does it. ET-3s combo name has changed to "Meany that is hoarding all the heat and brags about it to us poor freezing people combo". LOL

RC Racer
    This was the weather in Regina sask two days ago!

Once the wind settled down " Project SR-71" was out bashing all the fresh snow drifts! In Saskatchewan, if you wait for warm weather to bash, you'd never drain a battery!
    Teton-The Mini Monstrosity
    Slash-Project "SR-71"

RC Racer
    Northern Ontario, Canada......been around -40 with the wind since last Thursday. Not expected to get much better for at least another week. Mines parked until April.

RC Qualifier
    Meanwhile in Vancouver BC, its sunny and 15 C. Flowers blooming and green grass...you guys are on the wrong side of the Rockies!

Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    Aww man. You had to tease us. OK. That does it. ET-3s combo name has changed to "Meany that is hoarding all the heat and brags about it to us poor freezing people combo". LOL
    I am not trying to be mean. I just wanted to share with the rest of the class. I already admitted you are all more hard core than I am. You get out in the bitter cold and do your thing! That is commendable

RC Qualifier
    It was so cold out yesterday when I was bashing that my iphone for telemetry hit thermal and shut off. The truck never skipped a beat though.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I am not trying to be mean. I just wanted to share with the rest of the class. I already admitted you are all more hard core than I am. You get out in the bitter cold and do your thing! That is commendable

LOL. I was just kiddin' about being mean. More bitter cold this week too. -13F on Thursday. My poor Slash is turning into Shelf Queen. Might as well order up a whole bunch of Integy parts for it, LOL.

RC Qualifier
    Gotta man up matts just dress warm, if you get cold go inside!

Gotta man up matts just dress warm, if you get cold go inside!
    Tried doing that myself, man up...... Barely five minutes with gloves on and fingers cannot hold onto the trigger, the car would run, but definetly I di not last long. At -25c, frost bite is one irreversable consequnece. All in the love of rc, luckily it did not get that far.
    One thing is certain, plastic parts were brittle, you could even sometimes feel the difference on it at nrmal condition and on freezing temp. Very fortunate I idnot hit anything, otherwise have a feeling that it would just shatter into pieces.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    Oh yea definitely dont hit anything, I have rolled it end over end but not hit anything. I wouldn't have wanted to hot anything yesterday. Its -7 here now and im thinking of charging the 4s up. I have got it pulled apart now checking everything over from yesterday.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It's about time. It's 19 degrees F out. A heat wave!!!

The XO-1 diffs work great and my new HPI Drift Box2 is pretty neat.

It's about time. It's 19 degrees F out. A heat wave!!!

The XO-1 diffs work great and my new HPI Drift Box2 is pretty neat.

You, My friend are a SAVAGE! I can't imagine being outside when it's that cold. Forget running my truck! My hat is off to you, your savageness

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    LOL.... After being in Negative 5 10 and 12 for this week, it felt like a beautiful spring day.

LOL.... After being in Negative 5 10 and 12 for this week, it felt like a beautiful spring day.
    I agree...same way here. Up in the 20's today so I just ran 2 2s packs through the Slash. Snow is loads of fun to play in but clean-up can be a a pain. My new Toyz shroud helps a lot though!

RC Qualifier
    Agreed, the chassis full of snow is the original reason I purchased my shroud. I removed my nerf bars for winter play and had to super glue the velcro onto my chassis, so they may not go back on. But well worth it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I toss mine in the laundry tub and give it a quick warm water shower. Then I just let it sit upside down for a bit.

Agreed, the chassis full of snow is the original reason I purchased my shroud. I removed my nerf bars for winter play and had to super glue the velcro onto my chassis, so they may not go back on. But well worth it.
    That's an idea...thanks! Love the shroud but I'm not fond of the velcro stuff. Had a couple pieces come off today. I have been thinking of different ways to mount it....removing the nerf bars may help. I doubt I'll use the shroud in the summer. If anyone has other shroud mounting ideas...I'm all ears! Thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Yeah, removing the nerf bars is the way to go (notice no nerfs in my pics). My Velcro is on there with a hot glue gun and hasn't come off at all.

RC Qualifier
    Thats why I super glued it to the chassis, I was having problems with it coming unstuck after a snowy run, and letting powder and slush inside the chassis, so I glued it, indemnified the nerf bars because I was running rpm rally nerf bars that are different from stock slash ones, they have a honey comb design and I didnt want to cut my shroud to make it fit the nerf bars, there always was a gap where the reinforced bars were that I didnt care for, I tried everything to make the velcro stick. Super glue has worked well so far, just use a little at a time. Put the velcro piece on and then peel it up on one end about a third of the way, apply a thin strip of glue in small strips and proceed to stick it down in about half inch at a time.by the time you are done with the first third it will be dry enough to do the last two thirds, work slowly and use the glue sparingly. I also used a popsicle stick to push the velcro down as I was gluing it. Again. Patience is key here so you dont get go all over or stuck to things that shouldnt be stuck.. this is my experience hope it helps.

RC Qualifier
    Bought a brand new emaxx a few days ago here in Toronto canada. Just got to use it for the first time yesterday. It's been minus40 Celsius with the windchill the past few days. Warmed up to a balmy -23 with the windchill. Had to try it!! Can't wait til it warms up so I can use it every day!!

RC Qualifier
    Dont wait, run it! But make sure you take the proper precautions when doing so. Dress for the elements and remember your rc model is plastic and metal, cold will affect them. Have fun and enjoy the obsession!

You guys are either crazy or courageous! It got down to 52 f and I was thinking it was cold until I came back to this thread. I ran my truck today. It was 72f and I ran four packs through her. I readjusted my springs and it works beautifully. Again, I am in awe of the level of hardcoreness you guys are on! I am honored to be in the same forum as you good people!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    LOL. Thanks. It's going down to 6F tonight. I can't wait until Summer. I own a boat and I live on an awesome lake. I'm dying to go out, drop the anchor, crank up the music, get a tan and enjoy a few "sodas".

This goes on every weekend:

RC Qualifier
    Redneck yaht club?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Redneck yaht club?
    Hahahaha. Pretty much.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast