Odd Hobby Shop Conversations

If you are in this hobby any amount of time, and spend any time in you LHS, you will hear some interesting things, some dumb things, and some truly bizarre things. Last weekend I heard the strangest conversions between customers and employees that I think I ever have...

The customers were two guys, late teens, early 20s, getting parts for their nitro RC. I was looking at the LHS' selection of scale parts in a case, behind it was where they had the fuel stacked. The employee, who I think is the owner, asked what kind of fuel they wanted, they really didn't know, but it was a popular brand. The employee asked what percentage they wanted, they kind of looked dumbly at each other, then the employee asked what color they wanted. "BLUE!" they both said, and the employee grabbed a jug of the Traxxas 30%.

Getting the fuel was odd enough, then one of the guys asked the employee if he had left his RC there. The employee just looked at them both dumbly. Then the guy explained that he has left his RC somewhere, but couldn't remember where, but he thought he dropped it off at a hobby shop to get fixed. The employee looked at me as if to ask, "did this guy actually ask me this?", I just stared back with no answer to give. The employee asked what kind of RC was is, neither was quite sure. He asked if it was a gas or electric, the other guy said that he was pretty sure it was gas, he thinks he remembers putting gas in it. The employee asked who made it and rattled off some names when he got blank looks back, Traxxas, Associated, Losi, Ofna.... Ofna wrung a bell for both of them. "OK", the employee acknowledged, was it a short course truck, on-road car, monster truck, buggy... "BUGGY!", they both said in unison. 2WD or 4WD? One guy said he was pretty sure that it was 4WD because it was only 2WD when he dropped it off, and that is the reason they had taken it to a hobby shop. The employee apologized and said that they did not have any buggies that were in for repair, and that the only RC they had in was a HPI Monster Truck. One of they guys acknowledged this, and asked the employee to please call them if someone dropped off their buggy. At this point they had paid for their parts and fuel, and left the store without giving the shop their phone number.

As a side note, I really did not like this hobby shop when I moved here about a year ago. One employee insisted that a 2WD Slash front bumper would bolt right up to a 4WD Slash. And another employee, who made the whole shop wreak of cigarette smoke when he was there tried to convince me that the 2WD LCG chassis really didn't change the handling of a 2WD Slash. But, I have noticed that neither of these guys work there anymore, and the employees that are there now are fairly knowledgeable, but will say that they don't know if they don't, but will go and find out the answer.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier

Odd Hobby Shop Conversations

Mine wasn't a hobby shop, it was a call with traxxas.
    I had a wonderful call with someone at traxxas, and he had just gotten done explaining to me how running my xl2.5 in parallel had just made it catch fire. And that running it in series was what the directions said would increase my "gas tank" and parallel would make it faster. Once I had a heated argument with him, and later his supervisor, they realized, after myself speaking to the supervisors, supervisor. They had realized they were mistaken. I told my LHS owner this after he just dropped his official traxxas dealer thing. Ad this is basically one of the reasons he did that.
    Last edited by commando5184; 02-16-2015 at 05:53 PM.
    If a RC never breaks, your doing it wrong

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    If you are in this hobby any amount of time, and spend any time in you LHS, you will hear some interesting things, some dumb things, and some truly bizarre things. Last weekend I heard the strangest conversions between customers and employees that I think I ever have...

The customers were two guys, late teens, early 20s, getting parts for their nitro RC. I was looking at the LHS' selection of scale parts in a case, behind it was where they had the fuel stacked. The employee, who I think is the owner, asked what kind of fuel they wanted, they really didn't know, but it was a popular brand. The employee asked what percentage they wanted, they kind of looked dumbly at each other, then the employee asked what color they wanted. "BLUE!" they both said, and the employee grabbed a jug of the Traxxas 30%.

Getting the fuel was odd enough, then one of the guys asked the employee if he had left his RC there. The employee just looked at them both dumbly. Then the guy explained that he has left his RC somewhere, but couldn't remember where, but he thought he dropped it off at a hobby shop to get fixed. The employee looked at me as if to ask, "did this guy actually ask me this?", I just stared back with no answer to give. The employee asked what kind of RC was is, neither was quite sure. He asked if it was a gas or electric, the other guy said that he was pretty sure it was gas, he thinks he remembers putting gas in it. The employee asked who made it and rattled off some names when he got blank looks back, Traxxas, Associated, Losi, Ofna.... Ofna wrung a bell for both of them. "OK", the employee acknowledged, was it a short course truck, on-road car, monster truck, buggy... "BUGGY!", they both said in unison. 2WD or 4WD? One guy said he was pretty sure that it was 4WD because it was only 2WD when he dropped it off, and that is the reason they had taken it to a hobby shop. The employee apologized and said that they did not have any buggies that were in for repair, and that the only RC they had in was a HPI Monster Truck. One of they guys acknowledged this, and asked the employee to please call them if someone dropped off their buggy. At this point they had paid for their parts and fuel, and left the store without giving the shop their phone number.

As a side note, I really did not like this hobby shop when I moved here about a year ago. One employee insisted that a 2WD Slash front bumper would bolt right up to a 4WD Slash. And another employee, who made the whole shop wreak of cigarette smoke when he was there tried to convince me that the 2WD LCG chassis really didn't change the handling of a 2WD Slash. But, I have noticed that neither of these guys work there anymore, and the employees that are there now are fairly knowledgeable, but will say that they don't know if they don't, but will go and find out the answer.
    Lol, "dude...where's my car?" "Where's your car dude?"

That is rather odd, Not too sure about much of anything, but..... they knew they wanted BLUE fuel
    everything being dif doesnt mean anythings changed

It sounds like they were trying to get the owner to give them someone else's car...
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it