RC Competitor

"Newer" guy here built stampede

Just wanted to say hello. Santa dropped off a stampede that was partially built that I have taken further.

Here are some pictures of where I am at with the truck so far. My 5 year old son and I really enjoy this hobby. He runs the thing surprisingly well. I have made a rule that if you flip the truck, you have to give remote back to dad. This forces him to stay in control.

I am contemplating next upgrades. I am interested in better shocks, I also read something about going with Rustler front A-Arms to improve stability which requires a longer shock in front. I want to make the stance wider somehow, with rims wider a-arms, or combo of both. The thing just rolls over too much for my liking.

Also thinking about 17mm adapters and different wheels and tires. I recently installed Hobbywing SC8 WP with 4 pole 3400kv motor setup and I have already stripped out 1 of the 12mm wheels. Went with the Hobbywing because traxxas VXL-3s fried.

RC Competitor
    Here are a few more

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    There are a few ways to make it somewhat more stable. Tuning the shocks is the most important one. Springs, shock oil, postion of springs. I use to run those sway bar kits on my stampede and just took them off. After messing around with different types of shocks and oil I found the setup I like. A 1/8 shock and spring it's a great setup that holds up my heavy truck due to 1/8 motor system and bigger batteries.
    If you want to make it wider there's an option for this also. Proline protrac A arms also using a 17mm conversion also puts you wider. In order for you to run a protrac setup you'll have to get rustlers male mip shafts

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    looks good

RC Competitor
    Thanks Jimbo.... I need to clean up those rusty screws. I think I will purchase the stainless kit and switch them out over time.

RC Enthusiast
    Seems like your off to a good start

RC Qualifier
    D8 shocks, big bone, revo spec double slipper clutch and revo spec diffs, king headz motor mount. Check out a new servo and strc bell crank. The Lunsford titanium turn buckles are good. Go all out
    Last edited by Dadx2mj; 02-18-2015 at 01:31 PM. Reason: Language

Dude sick looking truck what's that hobbywing combo like??.....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Competitor
    Spenniepoos:

It is cold here in Ohio, so I have not had a chance to really full out run the Hobbywing, but I have done some testing, and I am a big fan so far.

My first test was on 17/54 gearing with 3s lipo. I gps'd at 50mph, but I ran out of room. It might have gone more. The thing would flip backwards any time I would hit throttle..... it had so much torque.

I think 17/54 was a little too much gear, but is sure was fun. I was a little worried about temps, but it did just fine.

Siikap? What is BIG BONE? I have revo slipper (it is not double, but it does OK for now)

I am going to run the diffs I have till they break. I have XO-1 parts on the bench ready for the failure, as it is sure to happen.

I have the King headz motor mount also.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-18-2015 at 01:45 PM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Tekno big bone center drive shaft

Yeah I am running a hobbywing pro sct esc and tenshock 550 four pole motor.I started off 17/54 but could not find many places to fully open her up so have geared down to 13/54 and never worry about overheatingif you have not got a temp gun yet grab one bit of a must in this hobby.happy bashing dude.....peace

RC Competitor
    Had it out for a little run in the snow tonight. Tooks some pictures while my son was driving.

Action shots rock dudehopefully after this weekend I will post some up.....peace

RC Competitor
    Ordered some OFNA MT3 Splits, Hot Racing 17 mm adapters, Proline Super Swampers, and Sand Paws in 2.8"

Looking forward to trying out those sand paws in the snow. I will say that I was impressed at how well the trenchers did in the snow. I think it really helped how much they ballooned.

The OFNA wheels are zero offset so they will widen up the stance of the truck a bit. Hopefully this makes it a little more stable.

RC Competitor
    Updgrade list to date

E-Revo slipper clutch
    Traxxas aluminum shock caps
    Stabilizer bars
    RPM control arms
    RPM rear bumper(slash) and wheelie bar wheels
    MIP X-duties all the way around
    Traxxas Light Bar
    T-bone front bumper
    Proline 2.8 Trenchers
    Hobbywing SC8 WP and 3656 3400kv 4 pole motor

I have found it is pretty easy to dump a lot of money into this hobby!

RC Competitor
    Motor leads kept coming un-soldered from the motor connectors. I think it was because factory connectors were arcing and creating heat. I removed the connectors and soldered direct to the motor instead and seems to be holding up good so far.

Has anyone else experience this?

RC Competitor
    Just ordered a set of bearing after a 3s snow bash session, I cooked the left rear... Luckily I caught it before damaging the MIP shaft or the caster block.

I thought it might be a little bit of insurance to go through all of th bearings on the truck to ensure they are good.

You never know what I might find along the way.

Get some marine grease in them if you run in the snow a lot dude....peace

RC Competitor
    I in stalled the hot racing 17mm adapters, and shortly after, I lost several bearings. I see now why so many complain about the design of these. It seems that if over tightening the wheel nuts, that too much pressure is placed on bearings.

Then one of the grub screws stripped out on one of the hot racing adapters.

I decided to order set of MIP adapters to see if they hold up any better.

RC Qualifier
    Stiffer/less sticky tires, and stiffer springs will make it less roll happy. trenchers are grear, but sometimes provide to much traction.