RC poster

Red face need info on batteries /charger performance

Hi still new the the whole thing I have the 1/10 Rally with stock battery and will be getting charger and new bat soon
    I have been looking at a lipo 30c, 5000mAh 2s 7.4 volt or a 50c 5000 mAh 2s 7.4 volt.

still figuring out what c means s means etc

Now the question how much of a difference or performance will I get in run time , speed, etc.
    will getting like this or high strip out or take my gears out.

I am mostly looking for more speed and the longer run time

Any comments/ explanations or suggestions

thanks

RC poster
    really all day no advice ok

RC Qualifier
    You picked a lower traffic section to post in. And 8 hrs isn't that long.

Can't speak to the rally. Never owned one. Lots in common with Slash though.

The slash the motor and esc temps are one thing to watch if pushing for speed. The spur can be an issue at times. And occasionally the wheel hexes or plastic axles. However most parts failures are due to driver error or driver abuse (in hitting stuff) while operating with tons of power!!!

"S" is cell count for lipo batteries. 2s is 2 cell. 3s is 3 cells.

Lipos operate at 3.7v per cell nominal voltage. So 2s is 7.4v. 3s is 11.1v.

More volts provides more top speed. You will likely need to reduce gearing some to avoid over stressing the stock setup and overheating stuff on 3s.

"C" rating is the discharge rate of the battery. 1C is the capacity of the battery per hour. 10C is 10 times the rated capacity of the battery in an hour, etc. So a 5000mah battery at 1C is rated to provide 5 amps of current. At 10C it is rated to provide 50 amps of current and at 50C it is rated to provide 250 amps of current. Demanding more than the batteries rated C can over stress and damage the battery. Also charging at more than 1C is not advised unless the battery is rated to do so.

RC poster
    If it helps...I'm running a 5000mah 2s 30c Lipo with the stock brushed motor in my 1/10 slash. Was told that's about the max to run on that motor. I also have a dynamite 5 amp charger that has been working great for me. Can't remember the exact model right off hand
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 02-19-2015 at 10:11 PM.

Moved to the correct subforum.
    More speed will come mostly from more voltage, but a significant increase in C-rating will also be noticed by increased velocity. More runtime will come with more capacity (amp-hours.)
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Voltage is horsepower, MAH is the size of your gas tank and C rating is the size of your fuel lines.

You can have lots of horsepower but small fuel lines and you wont get the power to the ground. So, you need an adequate C rated pack to supply the power system with what it needs. 30C is enough, anything more will NOT hurt your system at all. If the system doesnt need more power, it simply doesnt draw it.

When your looking for a charger, your better to buy something that will be MORE than you need NOW vs getting the minimum now and needing more later. Do your best to save enough to buy a good quality charger, something like a Dynamite, Thunder Power, Hyperion... something of good quality. Its worth it in the long run VS something cheap that will slowly ruin your packs over time.

RC poster
    hey Thanks for the info ,sorry was impatient the other day

RC Qualifier
    Hope it helps. Just know that you don't always need to spend the big bucks for a high capacity high C battery. It all depends on what you are trying to use it for.

RC poster
    what type are you referring to and what costs are you at.

RC Racer
    For what you are looking at, a 5amp charger will charge at 1c (standard) rates, but most batteries support at least 2c charge rates, so with 5000 mah batteries I suggest a charger that can do at least 10 amps.

RC Qualifier
    If you are running the stock vxl, you really shouldn't need a battery with much more than 25C, 50C tops. Because if you need that much current delivery on the stock vxl, you are likely going to have temperature issues on you electronics.

2s setups usually require a higher C rating than 3s or 4s. My 8th scale race buggy does not benefit from a 80C capable pack because at the higher voltage there is not a need for that high of a current delivery. My 2s race rig benefits from going 80C because I am running an aftermarket esc and motor that is rated to pull more amps than the stock system without heat issues. This means the higher C battery and elctronics can allow more current, which let's them generate more torque.

Also a higher mah battery has more total capacity. But also it affects current delivery because it is multiplied by the C rating to determine current capacity. So when you go up in mah you get longer run times, but also a battery at the same C but higher mah will deliver more current. This means it is not necessary to spend money on a huge mah battery with high C.

Example:
    5000 mah 50C battery can deliver the same current as a 8000 mah 35C pack. So you don't have to go chase a 8000 mah 50C pack which costs more.