Thread: Lipo puffed

RC Enthusiast

Lipo puffed

Should I be using this even is the bump is this small?
    Mini e revo 2010

I wouldn't use it.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

What happens when they get puffed??
    I am better than you!!

The cells expand because they are trying to release gas. A puffed lipo isn't a strong as a undamaged lipo.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

Quote Originally Posted by ant12hony View Post
    What happens when they get puffed??
    Puffing is an indication that the electrolyte has partially disintegrated and gone into gas form. Problem is that this weakens the separation layer between the positive and negative electrodes and can lead to an internal short = fire

RC Enthusiast
    THe battery puffed because you don't have each cell at a storage level. When you aren't useing the LiPo you should make sure that they at a safe level. I belive for a 3S when you aren't using it each cell should have about 3.8V in each cell, if there is less, charge it a bit, if it is to much, than use the battrey a bit more. If you battery is a 2S then I don't know the storage capacity. Also, don't pre-charge your battery. What I mean by that is that when you charge it, don't set it down somewhere for a couple of hours before using it. Use the battery right after charging and after the battery is cooled down from charging. If you battery is doing that you should probably put is somewhere so nothing will catch fire from it.

Doing all of that your battery will last for years and years to come.

RC poster
    I have a traxxas lipo ID battery that has less than 10 uses on it. It will not take a charge and it is swollen. Now it appears I'm out the $75 I paid for it with little usage.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by r2d2536 View Post
    THe battery puffed because you don't have each cell at a storage level. When you aren't useing the LiPo you should make sure that they at a safe level. I belive for a 3S when you aren't using it each cell should have about 3.8V in each cell, if there is less, charge it a bit, if it is to much, than use the battrey a bit more. If you battery is a 2S then I don't know the storage capacity. Also, don't pre-charge your battery. What I mean by that is that when you charge it, don't set it down somewhere for a couple of hours before using it. Use the battery right after charging and after the battery is cooled down from charging. If you battery is doing that you should probably put is somewhere so nothing will catch fire from it.

Doing all of that your battery will last for years and years to come.
    Per cell storage is exactly the same level on a 2s or 3s.

I don't think immediate use is necessary on lipo, but I would use it by the next day. If not, they get discharged to 3.8v and put in a ziplock bag and into the fridge.

Oh yeah, to the OP: storing the battery fully charged normally won't puff it. But in the long run, the capacity will be greatly reduced. Storing the battery below 3.8v is likely to kill the battery and puff it.
    Last edited by IllusionX; 07-13-2015 at 09:36 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by hondaatwsu View Post
    I have a traxxas lipo ID battery that has less than 10 uses on it. It will not take a charge and it is swollen. Now it appears I'm out the $75 I paid for it with little usage.
    If your battery pack is puffed top and bottom, it is most likely due to over-discharging. If true then somehow, someway the pack was pulled down to a level so low that all the cells within the pack were damaged to the point of puffing.

RC poster
    Dang that sucks to hear. I guess I'll have to make sure to discharge them.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think you meant, make sure to not over-discharge them.

RC Competitor
    I recently made that mistake with one of my scale crawlers. I had a nice new (maybe 5 or 6 charges) 7600mah Traxxas Lipo in it and had the truck running a good hour and a half. I assumed the LiPo cutoff would kick in, but I don't think it did. The battery was buldging pretty hard the next day.

Give Traxxas support a call. They'll send you a shipping label and you can return your pack. They'll give you a new one at 50% off.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by r2d2536 View Post
    THe battery puffed because you don't have each cell at a storage level.
    Highly unlikely as long as the pack was not stored completely empty or full.

As long as the cells are stored anywhere close to half full, they will be fine. A proper storage level is anywhere in the 50% to 60% of full range, which is approximately 3.80 to 3.90 volts per cell. Again, anything in that range is fine - there is no reason to obsess about the exact storage voltage.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
    Highly unlikely as long as the pack was not stored completely empty or full.

As long as the cells are stored anywhere close to half full, they will be fine. A proper storage level is anywhere in the 50% to 60% of full range, which is approximately 3.80 to 3.90 volts per cell. Again, anything in that range is fine - there is no reason to obsess about the exact storage voltage.
    Yeah folks get way to picky with the Storage Voltage. The 3.85V / cell is meant for LONG TERM storage of LiPo battery where the voltage is low enough to minimize/reduce the ever present capacity degradation that occurs over time while still having the voltage high enough to avoid having cells fall to a critical/fatal low voltage level due to self discharge if stored over several month. Storing it for a couple of days or a couple of weeks at 0.1 Volts more or less than the 3.85V ain't going to make a significant impact to the degradation.

Quote Originally Posted by Alfredmadere View Post
    put it in the fridge?? i have never heard that before, should i be doing that?
    Storing a LiPo at colder temps ( above freezing ) further reduces the always present time dependent capacity degradation in LiPo batteries. However the plastic insulation liners inside a fridge is flammable so make sure that you put your LiPo inside a fireproof container when you put them in the fridge just in case a LiPo decides to go poof. Furthermore let them warm up prior to charging or using them.
    Last edited by Panamon Creel; 07-14-2015 at 11:00 AM. Reason: Correction, plus minus 0.1V not 1.0 V :)

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfredmadere View Post
    ok then... it will take a lot of convicing to make my mom let me put my lipos in the fridge... lol
    You don't have to. It's just better.

Lipo stored at room temp should still last a couple years before seeing degradation. Even if its always stored with a full charge, you shouldn't seen more than 30% degradation after 4 years.
    But we are taking about less than 10% when stored in cooler temps, such as in the fridge.

Note that a week length is pretty much considered long term storage (to me)
    For a weekend drive, I take the batteries Friday evening and start charging them at night so all my batteries are ready for Saturday.

RC Champion
    Like I said, you don't have to, but for me, my lipos are always in the fridge until I need them. I dedicated half a drawer for them.

You can also get a small fridge for under 100$ to dedicate it for your batteries.