Thread: GTR Shocks?

RC Qualifier

GTR Shocks?

Wanted to get GTR Shocks for my stampede 4x4 vxl and slash 2wd vxl. Emailed traxxas support and was told to get the Traxxas 5460x set. Has anyone used these on your vehicles? If so do they fit correctly? I have a EBRE and I love these shocks so I figured I would throw them on all my vehicles.

I know a few guy's that run them on slash 4x4 and swear by them on performance and durability so they would be awesome on a stampede with the right oil and spring setup bro....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by spenniepoos View Post
    I know a few guy's that run them on slash 4x4 and swear by them on performance and durability so they would be awesome on a stampede with the right oil and spring setup bro....peace
    I'm one of those guys. I love GTR shocks, I put them on everything, I have them on my Slash 4x4, and my Slash 2wd. Since they're based on the Revo GTR's, the variable damping shock piston kit works in them, which makes them super tunnable too.
    Last edited by Wolfslash16; 02-22-2015 at 08:07 PM.
    Is owning 27 RC's too many? No way!

Verified by one of people that know their stuff.....peace

RC Qualifier
    excellent then I will buy another set for my 2wd slash. Do the stock mounting screws fit correctly?

RC Racer
    I just ordered them for my Rusty VXL => Slash 2wd build, cant wait to get them in.

RC Enthusiast
    I just put a set on my Stampede 4x4 and ran it for the first time today. I'm not sure how great they are yet. I think the stock slash springs are too soft for the Stampede. I have the front adjuster cranked all the way down and the rears about 2/3 of the way down. I was disappointed they have plastic top caps. I thought they were all aluminum. I guess the pivot balls should take the stress off them so they wouldn't be as prone to break as the stock shocks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by GETGONE View Post
    I just put a set on my Stampede 4x4 and ran it for the first time today. I'm not sure how great they are yet. I think the stock slash springs are too soft for the Stampede. I have the front adjuster cranked all the way down and the rears about 2/3 of the way down. I was disappointed they have plastic top caps. I thought they were all aluminum. I guess the pivot balls should take the stress off them so they wouldn't be as prone to break as the stock shocks.
    You could get the white with blue dots on them they are stiffer then the black dot ones which I believe is what comes on stock. If blue isn't stiff enough for you losi has a set that fits. Or red set from traxxas.

RC Competitor
    Hey guys i will vouch for the gtr's i run them on my 1512 powered stampede i run losi 42.5 shock oil and vg racing slash 4x4 rally track tuned springs . nice combo
    stampede xl castle 1512 1800kv

RC Qualifier
    Which springs come with the set. With my Erevo it came with the blue and silver for the extra set which I put on. Which colors/spring strength come with this set? Are you talking about not using the shock springs that come with this set traxxas 5460x
    Last edited by Jaybird43; 02-28-2015 at 04:54 PM.

I had a look around for you and it sounds like the Vg racing springs are the ones to go for...peace

RC Qualifier
    Is there a specific size for front and back?

RC Competitor
    the vgracing springs are sized for the slash gtr shocks the same one's we use on the stampede 4x4 .

RC Qualifier
    These shocks are 80 bucks at my online LHS and they don't have aluminum caps?! Are aluminum caps necessary or do they work perfectly fine with the plastic ones?

RC Qualifier
    Ok so which by racing springs do you use with these? I was looking at their website. They have a set for pede 4x4 and other ones. Not much description. I want to stiffen the suspension so not sure which ones to choose. Anyone have a link for these. Also when I switched the springs on my Erevo I was surprised that the caps where plastic also. They don't seem hardcore but I haven't had a chance to use them so not sure.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz68 View Post
    These shocks are 80 bucks at my online LHS and they don't have aluminum caps?! Are aluminum caps necessary or do they work perfectly fine with the plastic ones?
    Got these shocks for 43$ if you look around there are good deals

RC Competitor
    Jay you want the slash gtr rally tuned springs.They are made for your gtr shocks. Go to the vgracing site look up springs and you will see Slash gtr rally tuned springs those are the one's you want .

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 3905er View Post
    Jay you want the slash gtr rally tuned springs.They are made for your gtr shocks. Go to the vgracing site look up springs and you will see Slash gtr rally tuned springs those are the one's you want .
    Excellent. Thanks for the details. Appreciate it

Vg racing products are awesome on reviews and on way friends have said ....peace

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by 3905er View Post
    Do you know the spring rate for those? These will be going in my 4x4 pede first and its a basher.

RC Enthusiast
    I went to a hobby shop I rarely get over to tonight and they have all kinds of springs(as well as other stuff I want!). I picked up a set of blue stripe GTR springs. Fronts are #7448 and are 0.892 rate and rears are #7449 1.004 rate. We'll see how they do if I get a chance to run the truck this weekend.

RC Qualifier
    I went to a hobby shop I rarely get over to tonight and they have all kinds of springs(as well as other stuff I want!). I picked up a set of blue stripe GTR springs. Fronts are #7448 and are 0.892 rate and rears are #7449 1.004 rate. We'll see how they do if I get a chance to run the truck this weekend.
    Those springs look very weak. For bashing I'm thinking the Traxxas 5443.

RC Enthusiast
    They're too short. Those are for the inboard Revo/Summit/Jato size and don't come in long or xx long that we need for the Slash shocks.

RC Qualifier
    They're too short. Those are for the inboard Revo/Summit/Jato size and don't come in long or xx long that we need for the Slash shocks.
    Gotcha. Ok so what would be a stiffer spring with them?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybird43 View Post
    Gotcha. Ok so what would be a stiffer spring with them?
    Look at losi springs. Losb2959 and losb2963. They have different spring rates as a pack and they fit the gtrs
    This 5443 would only fit the front shocks they might fit on the tears but you'll have to put the ring all the way down. Also they would be waaaayyyy to stiff.
    Last edited by Er33; 03-02-2015 at 10:44 PM.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Er33 View Post
    Look at losi springs. Losb2959 and losb2963. They have different spring rates as a pack and they fit the gtrs
    +1

I've got them on my GTRs, running a MM2 2200kV and 3s-6s (so it's a quite a bit heavier than stock) and absolute LOVE them!!

Grtz,

Degake

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by degake View Post
    +1

I've got them on my GTRs, running a MM2 2200kV and 3s-6s (so it's a quite a bit heavier than stock) and absolute LOVE them!!

Degake
    Excellent ordered both packs today

Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz68 View Post
    The plastic caps work amazingly well. I have had my Slash Ultimate Edition for more than a year and the caps have never even gotten loose. They have a bleeder hole in the cap for easier tuning.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!