RC Qualifier

Sidewinder sct 3800 tell me something

Is it a good combo I plan to run truck as a backslash with stock gearing an 2s guy at lhs said its poop and the Vxl is better but on the other hand I have a fried Vxl.... So real world I plan on buying tomo since it's only 109 in the store.
    Thanks
    Josh

Is your LHS in a state where a certain green plant as become legal for consumption?

The Castle Creations SCT 3800 4-Pole system is great, and for the money, it is REALLY hard to be. The VXL is pretty good, but the CC system is more powerful, is A LOT easier to program, has a lot more settings to choose from, and less expensive.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Qualifier
    No but my lhs has told me some odd things. Really makes me wonder...
    Josh

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I answered your PM, but didn't know the whole story. With stock gearing and 2s, the Sidewinder 3800 combo will work great for you.

If you have your mind set on the Castle Creations 3800 motor, I would pair it with the Mamba Max Pro esc! The Mamba Max Pro esc is way better equipped for the demands of a four wheel drive truck.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    After all the $ I've spent so far and 10 mins drive time I can't really afford to sink much more at the present.
    Josh

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    If you end up getting it tomorrow and you are wondering how to mount the ESC, all I did was make a plate out of a piece of plastic and then use 3M Brand double stick tape and that sucker won't go any where.

RC Qualifier
    Good deal man thanks.
    Josh

RC Racer
    I am thrilled with the 3800 sct system with a good 2s 6000mAh 100c pack it feels like the VXL system on 3s. Geared 14/54 32p

RC Qualifier
    It is a good combo. I have it in both my trucks. Only run 2s.
    Ultimate Slash 4x4, HCG Slash 4x4, Ruckus 2wd

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for the reassurance guys very much appreciated.
    Josh

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    I answered your PM, but didn't know the whole story. With stock gearing and 2s, the Sidewinder 3800 combo will work great for you.
    Ran that combo in a pede4 for a year or so with 11 or 12/54 and it did great, temps were pretty mild in the 140/range . Great combo for the $$.

RC Champion
    That's the combo I've run from Day 1 and absolutely no problems on 2s. It is every bit as capable as the VXL system. I routinely run in the mud/dirt/puddles and it's been great. I have to replace the motor bearings every 6-8 months, but that is just about the same as the VXL motor in these conditions. Other than that, I let too much debris (pine needles & dirt) get jammed up in the fans on both the motor & ESC and they stopped working after 6-7 months. They actually held up well considering how much abuse they took. One of the fans only had two blades left on it when it finally croaked.

RC Qualifier
    So how long have you actually been running it?
    Josh

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonj1018 View Post
    So how long have you actually been running it?
    Josh
    I've been running it 3-5 times per week for 13 months. My Slash came to me as a used roller and I installed the SCT system as soon as I got it.

I use the CC3800 with an MMP and on 3S 14/54 , with no heat issues. Love all the catsle products, so far the service and products are great.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    That was bologna! If you are going to stay at 2s then that is a great choice. If you wanna get the most out of that motor and bash it on 3s, then the mmp or the et3s would be a better choice. At any rate, the sct system will beat the pants off the vxl. On 2s my 3800 feels like the vxl on 3s. And you can't beat the adjustability. I found a mmp on eBay for $50 shipped, and a 3800 for $30 shipped, when I decided I wanted to try the 3800. You can always pick up an et 3s for under $70 and search eBay for a 3800. Neewer offers a very similar motor to the 3800. Just throwing options at you. I have now bought two et3s escs, and a genuine mmp.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Qualifier
    I had a wpsc8 and cc 3800kv in my slash for a while, nice torquey motor, but I wanted a little bit more top end on 2s so went with a sv3 4600kv combo. Bit hot on 23/86 and doing near 40 on 2s, but now running 20/86.

The wpsc8 and 3800kv is back in my DRX on 3s . Both I like more than my Vxl.

Apologies, just realised I am in the 4x4 forum and not the 2wd forum, all my comments are null and void haha.
    Last edited by Traxxas Tauranga; 02-24-2015 at 06:29 PM.
    40+ RC's, 4 = Traxxas. Doing this since the 80's.

RC Qualifier
    Well I went and got it after work came home and installed and ran 3 2s packs back to back no breaks and had a BLAST. Freaking awesome grass dirt and street jumping etc broke my body in quite a few places one of the mounts went all the way through lol. Lost 3 body clips too ending temps with battery still plugged in was 111 motor and 138 esc according to my snap on temp gauge. All seems well and I LOVE IT. Thanks for the replies guys.
    Josh

RC Champion
    Cool, man! I'm glad it's working well for you!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Awesome!!!!!!!

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonj1018 View Post
    Well I went and got it after work came home and installed and ran 3 2s packs back to back no breaks and had a BLAST. Freaking awesome grass dirt and street jumping etc broke my body in quite a few places one of the mounts went all the way through lol. Lost 3 body clips too ending temps with battery still plugged in was 111 motor and 138 esc according to my snap on temp gauge. All seems well and I LOVE IT. Thanks for the replies guys.
    Josh
    That's what its all about!

RC Competitor
    Where have u guys mounter your on / off toggle switch? i used a dremel and made a hole in my lcg chassis. Easy access and looks good! Had a difficult time found those small of screw for the toggle switch. IDK why they didn't include them.

I've usually done away with it, or zip tied it to the motor wires.

RC Qualifier
    Mine just flipping around lol it will likely be removed.
    Josh

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I always remove mine. Those little switches are failure prone.

RC Champion
    I removed mine too. It failed within a few weeks of installation and is almost totally unneccessary anyway.

RC Qualifier
    Both of mine failed. So they have been removed and wires soldered together. On/off is the battery connection now. Image switches left me not being able to run in a few spots after driving there as it was on its way out. Very frustrating. Now it can't happen again and no flopping switch.

Where have u guys mounter your on / off toggle switch?
    As stated by some above, mine are cut off and soldered direct before I install them.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-25-2015 at 04:46 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate reference.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    the sct sidewinder combo is fine but it does get a little hotter than the vxl.but i can tell you its not as smooth as a vxl, u can make it creep pretty slow while the sct u cant lol instant 5mph. i prefer a vxl but preference is preference. ps both can handle 3s pretty well with stock gearing.

RC Qualifier
    3s is pretty quick with this combo. Reminds me of the 1/16 VXl slash I had. Very quick and terrible at steering.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgeviperred View Post
    the sct sidewinder combo is fine but it does get a little hotter than the vxl.but i can tell you its not as smooth as a vxl, u can make it creep pretty slow while the sct u cant lol instant 5mph. i prefer a vxl but preference is preference. ps both can handle 3s pretty well with stock gearing.
    You may be thinking of something else as this one is running 35 degree cooler than my Vxl that fried and it will go quite slow with the transmitter running 70/30 split I turned the whole truck into a mud cake today lol.
    Josh

RC Qualifier
    idk about that ,mines is the one without the fan maybe thats why but regardless both without a fan my sct esc get warmer than my vxl but motor temp wise i say about the same.

and i have had 2 sct esc's both had the same results and neither will creep slowly.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 02-26-2015 at 08:55 AM. Reason: merge

RC Qualifier
    Hmm maybe they made a change? Mine honestly will move about 1-2 mph barely throttling it. Esc did get a little warm but the motor was cool in comparison to my Vxl but either way I'm happy with it.
    Josh

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by roat41 View Post
    Where have u guys mounter your on / off toggle switch? i used a dremel and made a hole in my lcg chassis. Easy access and looks good! Had a difficult time found those small of screw for the toggle switch. IDK why they didn't include them.
    I used Shoe Goo to attach it to the esc. I've since moved it to my 2wd Slash where I Shoe Goo'd it to the side of the battery tray. It actually holds tight, looks good and can easily be removed if necessary.

* Not a paid spokesperson for Shoe Goo.

As to being able to creep, gearing and ESC settings will play a large part in that. Though I've never tried to directly compare whether my castle systems were as smooth as my vxl or vice versa. Also different firmware versions may be smoother.