RC poster

Let's make it awesome!

New to the R.C. car arena. Bought a Slash 2wd the other day with the intention of bashing, not realizing that there may have been better options out there for the kind of driving I want to do, but rather than putting it on a shelf, I figure why not make it what I want it to be. A couple of things: I would like to be able to make the beast flip when jumping, the body roll in high speed cornering is causing it to flip, and I would like to find a gearing to run at the highest usable speeds without causing heat, gear problems. I am running the 12T right now, but plan to go brushless soon. I have access to several means of manufacture (3d printer, machining shop), as well as a degree in Physics, but no real-world experience with the Slash, and understand that theory, no matter how sound, often fails in application. I would just as soon avoid wasting time and money, so I have come here to the home of the great ones to ask for guidance! Please, help me make this truck awesome!

RC Qualifier
    You have three things you want to achieve:

1) Flips when jumping
    2) Optimum gearing
    3) Grip rolling

Let’s start with 3, grip roll. The Slash has a high centre of gravity, it will roll at speed if it has grip. You have to keep in mind that even very low touring cars and buggies will grip roll and that sometimes getting rid of the roll is difficult. A number of things do help:

• Lower CG, you can make or buy a low CG chassis. If you design and share a 3D printed design I am sure there would be lots of very grateful people!
    • Limit droop can help lots, the way to do that in the Slash will be spacers in the shocks (under the piston).
    • Get rid of some front grip, there are many ways of doing this! Including: stiffer front springs, different tyres, more weight at the back, etc…
    • Different suspension tuning overall, try going stiffer all round and getting rid of some roll. But too stiff can be a problem too! Sometimes that can also lead to grip roll, find the balance.

Now for number 2, gearing. It really depends on the motor you buy. Most motors will come with a manual that advices you on gearing, take this as a baseline and adjust from there. Ideally get a temperature gun to take accurate temp readings too.

Lastly number 1, flips. I don’t do flips when I race but the way to flip backwards is to mash the throttle. So I guess if you can’t quite flip it then get a more powerful motor till it flips, also tyres of a different weight would help too I would imagine. But that’s totally unqualified advice, flipping isn’t something I do.
    Last edited by cunawarit; 02-26-2015 at 10:10 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Flip when jumping ? You can try to move weight in the back and go up on the pinion for faster speed on that 12T

A Lower torque like a 2400kv brushless has way more power than the brushed by 10 times the power.

Wheels is what you need...Real grippy Tires.

3D printing ? Cool....If you ever get the chance..Make some New Tie-bars out of anything than plastic.They break all day.Maybe a stronger Wishbone looking tie bar rather than straight would be cool.

RC poster
    Thanks for all the advice! I have reservations about going lcg, as my intuition tells me that the vehicles moment of inertia will be even higher than it is now, but I have yet to actually do the math to confirm that suspicion. I did in fact load my shocks with spacers this afternoon, but the snow falling has nullified any chance of getting a cruise in tonight. Just too deep for the 2wd. I have gone with the optional pinion that was included in the box, but have elected to leave to stock spur gear so as not to put too much load on that motor, as I do like to bash. I will definitely try my hand at putting out a few designs for parts as soon as I have the free time, and will gladly gift them to the forum. I will keep updating.