RC Enthusiast

Custom wheelie bar and roll cage?

Has anyone made a custom roll cage or wheelie bar? I have a new xl-5 pede that I put a cc 8th system into... It's heavy and wheelie happy so I'm looking for ways to protect it. I'm not wanting to spend a lot of money unless I have to. I'd like to get some ideas for a custom setup. Any ideas or pictures would be greatly appreciated.

On a side note if I went for a stock wheelie bar what part#'s would I need? And if I needed to by a roll cage does anyone have any experience with them?
    p4de-CC2200
    sl4sh-CC3800
    many others R.I.Pieces

RC Qualifier
    The stock wheelie bar has part #4975.

I know this is not the answer to your main question, but...:
    T-Bone Racing has very tough bumpers, both front and rear, with the option of a wheelie bar aswell.
    VG Racing has a great roll cage, but heavy and quite expensive (you'll probably also need the stiffer VG springs, heavier shock oil and sway bars to compensate for the "top heavyness").

i know someone actully makes a roll cage i got one for my rustler
    stampede one http://www.activepowersports.com/int...ZDPhoCKQLw_wcB
    Slash sct3, nitro rustler

Is that roll cage for the stampede 4x4 or the 2wd pede dude I know a few people have reported the vg racing one is good but as Viking said you will need the vg racing springs to go with it and sway bars.the stock wheely bar is strong especially if you boil it before you install it.and dont forget to use zip ties to keep it in place but the t bone rear bumpers are known to be super tough....peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    I saw those vg ones on eBay. I'd rather make something of my own rather than spend $70 on one. I was looking for ideas on them really and user experience with them... My body was destroyed after a few good wrecks and before I get another I want to protect a new one.... I've almost talked myself out of it already though because of the weight factor... With the cc 8th and the 2200kv I'm at 5lbs without body, batteries or tires. I don't want to add much more because all the added weight will stress the a arms and such past design specs to the breaking point. I know I could throw money at it to fix that but I choose to avoid breaking things as much as I can.
    p4de-CC2200
    sl4sh-CC3800
    many others R.I.Pieces

RC Enthusiast
    http://www.vgracing.com/mm5/merchant...=VGR-EPEDE_4x4 Here's a roll cage. But wheelie bar, i dont really think that you'll need it. Ive had my truck for 3 months... Ive only ever done ONE wheelie. Even instant full throttle ive never done a wheelie. And if you do want the stock wheelie bar just search "Wheelie" in traxxas search bar

RC Enthusiast
    With the cc 8th and 2200kv 1515 I can do a double standing back flip on 4s... I have to be very light on the trigger... I did have the esc toned down but it took the challenge/fun out of driving lol
    p4de-CC2200
    sl4sh-CC3800
    many others R.I.Pieces

RC Racer
    I love this setup it's got all the power you need imo!
    Hey kid that's not a toy!!

RC Enthusiast
    Yeah it does... I've done nothing but smile since I installed it. Haven't broken anything yet except the body. I installed mips and I-bars at the same time though but only in the rear. The front is all xl-5 stock including the plastic center axel. I think the flex of the plastic axle helps keep the stock diff and half shafts in tack, however I'm still not expecting much life out of the front drivetrain. Of course the front wheels never touch the ground either . I have a savage xs flux that is over powered much like my pede now... But that thing would tear itself apart from the power and aftermarket parts are very limited, so it's sitting disassembled in a box. I have tried Several vehicles that could not fill that void of overpowered fun, until I got the pede and added the cc 8th system. Reliability is king and even if something breaks there is a wide array of aftermarket options to insure it won't break the same way twice.
    p4de-CC2200
    sl4sh-CC3800
    many others R.I.Pieces

RC Racer
    The only thing that i keep breaking is my 12mm hubs,i knew this would happen i have 1 more set left then im going 17mm, any suggestions on street tires for speed runs that won't balloon like crazy?
    Hey kid that's not a toy!!

I would check out J concepts G locs they have a cross rubber ribbed tire to stop ballooning.or proline street fighters and use there new 2.8" closed cell foams to reduce ballooning dude...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC Enthusiast
    I still haven't decided what to get as far as a wheelie bar or roll cage... I lowered my body mounts about an inch and that seems to help keep the body from getting destroyed as much in rollover events. Now my problem is on 6s my slipper gives after about 3/4 throttle. I have it tightened all the way. I'm guessing at revo upgraded slipper would fix this?
    p4de-CC2200
    sl4sh-CC3800
    many others R.I.Pieces