RC poster

Newbie to Summit

Hey guys,
    I bought a summit last week. I'm pretty new to RC cars. I was playing with the Summit today in the snow and I broke a piece on it. I was wondering if anyone knew what I need to get to fix it. And is there an upgraded version of what I need? It's less than a week old and I was just driving around the snow, so I didn't do anything crazy to it. It's the rear left tire that broke. Any help appreciated!!

Summit

RC Racer
    congrats on the summit, the part you need is the axle carrier http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXUTG2&P=7

RC poster
    Thank you cris. Is there an upgraded non plastic version of the axle carrier?
    Summit

RC Qualifier
    Welcome to the Summit Fun Club!! Cold temps will make the plastic parts more prone to breakage. Several companies make aluminum axle carriers if you fell the need for them . The stock ones are cheaper so i would stick with those if it breaks again then upgrade.

RC poster
    Thank you guys, since I have to place an order anyway, is there anything else I should go ahead and swap out or get as spares? I was looking at the aluminum push rods, but ones for progressive rocker 1 and one is for the PR 3. Any idea which one I need for the stock summit? Anything else I should go ahead and order since I'll have to place an order?
    Summit

RC Qualifier
    Hi, the only thnigs you'll need for spare parts is: A-arms, full set of bearings for the summit, maybe front and rear bumpers and mounts, and some spurgears! This truck almost bulletproof!!!
    Summit RX8/1550kv-Slash4x4 MM2/2400kv Twin-V Merv.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by boilo56 View Post
    Hi, the only thnigs you'll need for spare parts is: A-arms, full set of bearings for the summit, maybe front and rear bumpers and mounts, and some spurgears! This truck almost bulletproof!!!
    also grab a few half shaft axles.

RC Qualifier
    Good rule of thumb is if you break 1 buy 2.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by malonefamily2003 View Post
    Good rule of thumb is if you break 1 buy 2.
    That is a great rule. It will keep you running

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by boilo56 View Post
    What spur gear should I order? I see a few different ones. Is the stock one a 68T ? I only see it up to 60T on the towerhobbies site.

Whats confusing me on parts ordering is I'm looking at this link
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...76-1_parts.pdf
    but I can't tell which parts are on the truck. Like bearings and spur gears and all, I don't know which ones I need that are compatible with what parts. And if I upgrade parts what I need to get to make it compatible with another part.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm confused :/

Is there a article to read about it, or do I just need to sit and read the forums like crazy to figure this stuff out?
    Last edited by Linnk; 03-05-2015 at 09:09 PM.
    Summit

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnk View Post
    What spur gear should I order? I see a few different ones. Is the stock one a 68T ? I only see it up to 60T on the towerhobbies site.

Whats confusing me on parts ordering is I'm looking at this link
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...76-1_parts.pdf
    but I can't tell which parts are on the truck. Like bearings and spur gears and all, I don't know which ones I need that are compatible with what parts. And if I upgrade parts what I need to get to make it compatible with another part.

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I'm confused :/

Is there a article to read about it, or do I just need to sit and read the forums like crazy to figure this stuff out?
    The ones in BOLD print are optional upgrades . Stock parts are in standard print. You can also try looking at the exploded views here.
    https://traxxas.com/products/models/...mmit?t=support

ebay search Summit / Revo knuckles about $15.00 plus ship from a chop shop. You can buy them in alum but not really need.
    Would you go flip my truck back over??

A good read is the FAQ at the top of the page really good overview of the truck.well worth reading
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC Champion
    You can also try here http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/traxxas/summit.html great place to buy all stock items.
    "Better Old and Devious than Young and Exuberant"

Read the FAQ at the top of the page it has lots of usefull info on the truck
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

Whoops dbl post........
    Mountains cant stop me
    they have tried

RC poster
    Hi Linnk!
    Welcome to the club!!!

You are gonna love this truck. I have 2 of them; bought the first one for my son and loved it so much I needed my own! I do a lot of jumping and bashing and have never broken an axle carrier on either truck so that's a surprise that you did. It's gotta be a bad mold or something so I would stick with the stock parts unless you wanna spend a bit of dough! What I have broken a few of are axle shafts, usually at the wheel end of the shaft. MIP make steel axles for the Summit but I haven't upgraded as there are still a lot of mixed reviews about their durability. The stock ones are cheap so I just replace them as they snap! The other part you will find you break a lot of is the front bumper mount- do yourself a favor and replace it with an RPM mount as soon as you break the first one. The RPM plastic is softer and more flexible (actually the RPM upper/ lower suspension arms are a good upgrade as well and they are relatively inexpensive).

You were asking about spur/ pinion combos- this totally depends on what you want out of the truck. Generally, a smaller pinion (fewer teeth) and larger spur (more teeth) will increase low end torque and lessen top speed. And vice versa. If you are looking for low-end power for crawling/ bogging then a smaller pinion is the way to go. The other thing to worry about here is that your motor/ esc combo can handle your gear ratio ie: a larger pinion will have to turn faster to drive the spur gear. If it's too fast for your motor, the motor burns up! I would go in to see your local hobby dealer and tell them what you are running and how you use the truck. They should be able to put you on the right track.

There, I've probably said too much! Good luck and have fun!