RC poster

Question Right out of the box T-Maxx 3.3 starting issues!

Went to break in my new 3.3 today and had starting issues. Took a few tries with the easy start but truck did start, I let it idle 30 to 40 sec. Then tried to give it a little gas it died. Started again then died again when I gave it gas. Every attempt to start after that easy start motor would not turn and motor led on easy start battery case would not light. So I believed it was stuck on TDC, followed procedure in owners manual to unstick. Now after every attempt to start it seems to get stuck on TDC. It cycles once and I have to turn flywheel. Needless to say I didn't get to break in my new engine today. I'm pretty new to the hobby bought and owned a T-Maxx back in 1999 had reverse never really had any problems with it besides the norm. I would greatly appreciate any advice on this new model.

RC Racer
    put a little of WD-40 in the motor and heat the motor up to 200 degrees with heat gun or blow dryer.
    what did i break

RC Competitor
    It could be flooded. Pull the glow plug out and tilt the truck up like its doing a wheelie and spin the engine over until fuel stops spraying out of the glow plug hole. Heating the engine will help get it started. Turn up the throttle trim on the remote to bump the idle speed up. Break-in is the worst part of a nitro but once thats done its simple to keep one running well.

RC Qualifier
    If you are new to nitro get extra glow plugs and spare driveshafts. You can see especially the rear driveshaft where the metal pin is on the plastic U joint area it will start to split and create a gap that gets bigger and bigger and eventually it snaps off and you are done for the day if you have no spares...

RC poster
    Thanks for the tip. This is my second T-Maxx, I had one about 12 yrs. ago had a lot of fun with it.

Thanks, went out got engine broke in today! I've got some tuning to do tomorrow
    Last edited by Double G; 03-08-2015 at 07:02 AM. Reason: merge

Quote Originally Posted by revo jake14 View Post
    put a little of WD-40 in the motor and heat the motor up to 200 degrees with heat gun or blow dryer.
    Really? Where in the motor?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by jdpasl View Post
    Really? Where in the motor?
    i say this because its a brand new motor and helps the piston move more freely with less friction. you spray a little in the glow plug hole.
    what did i break

Quote Originally Posted by revo jake14 View Post
    you spray a little in the glow plug hole.
    Ok thanks, I will do that on my nitro Revo.