RC poster

expander - sensors problem please help

I am having a problem with sensors .On my Rustler vxl I have an expander that has the gps and the two autodetect sensors installed .
    While the gps works fine the sensors do not communicate at all with my link app which is on an android 4.4.2 phone.
    My receiver transmitter and esc have a solid green light.
    The expander has a blinking green light ,which is probably because I have it indoors and gps can not find the satelites.
    When it is in the open it is solid green.
    Can anyone help me please with the sensors ?
    I would appreciate it. Thanks

can you please advise the part numbers of your sensors that you connected to your expander.
    I'm assuming the sensors don't show up when you look at the telemetry set-up in the app, correct?

RC poster
    Thank you for helping me out.
    The sensors part numbers are 6526 for temperature and 6527 for voltage.
    Before I got these sensors I had installed 6520 and 6521 , which were working fine.
    Now I took them out and installed 6526 and 6527 and I have a problem .
    The telemetry setup states :
    Sensor name : speed Source: receiver/Gps
    Tachometer Receiver
    Temperature Receiver
    Voltage Receiver
    PCB smart temp Expander slot A4
    PCB smart voltage Expander slot A5

So as you realize the app recognizes the smart sensors but they dont give any reading.

The old sensors should be shown on the telemetry setup now that are not installed or this is a problem ?

I have reinstalled the app and the same happened .

Thanks again for your help

RC Enthusiast
    Make sure that you edit/add guages to set where the app gets the reading from.
    I'm a Traxxaholic! Not to be confused with expert!

RC poster
    I will check again thanks

your telemetry set-up shows that Temp and Voltage is taken from the Receiver where your original sensors where connected to. You'll have to reconfigure so that it uses the autodetect sensors on your expander instead.
    If you don't mind me asking, why did you remove the original sensors that had been connected to the receiver?

RC poster
    I removed the original sensors because I wanted a correct telemetry system from my expander ,and since it has gps , more accurate readings.
    The sensors were not too expensive. Thank you for your help can you please indicate where to reconfigure my sensors , on the dashboard , on the telemetry setup or somwhere else ?
    Thanks again.

RC Enthusiast
    From the dashboard you can touch the screen then delete the guages using the old sensors. Then add guages back. During the add process you can pick which sensor that guage should read.

Quote Originally Posted by ralliskara View Post
    I removed the original sensors because I wanted a correct telemetry system from my expander ,and since it has gps , more accurate readings.
    The sensors were not too expensive. Thank you for your help can you please indicate where to reconfigure my sensors , on the dashboard , on the telemetry setup or somwhere else ?
    Thanks again.
    You didn't need to remove the original sensors, GPS info will override the RPM for speed if you set it that way and you'll still get motor RPM if the sensor remains installed. Temperature and Voltage on the receiver work just as well as the ones on the expander and you can use the additional temperature sensor for something else like ESC or battery temperature readings.

RC poster
    Thank you all for your help , when I return home I will do exactly that and let you know.

RC Enthusiast
    FYI. Removing your original voltage sensor will also remove the little battery icon at the top of the screen. The auto detecting sensor, for some reason doesn't activate it. Not that it's that big of a deal. It's not as precise as having a numeral value, I liked that it matched the other side that had the transmitter battery icon.
    I also agree that you should leave your rpm sensor in. There is no rpm for the expander. You can change the setting to use gps when available or to only use gps for speed. I use the ladder in case I loose gps signal (app changes to rpm calculated speed until it regains signal from gps) and the wheels spin out (at the same time), I do not get a false speed from rpm.

RC poster
    Thank you all for your help the expander sensors work now fine . I have a problem with my rustler vxl rpm sensor which goes to the receiver slot.
    I have connected the temp/voltage sensor on the receiver (temp. for esc) and it works fine. I must have connected the trigger magnet or sensor wrong , but I tried different ways with same results. There is no instructions by traxxas for trigger magnet and sensor mounting for the Rustler . Does anyone now how or where to find the instructions ?
    Thanks

RC Enthusiast
    The sensor fits in the dust cover (part 3792). The magnet mounts in the smaller magnet holder from part 6538. The holder mounts to the spur gear.

RC Enthusiast
    You will also need the sensor bracket (part 6537) to mount sensor in dust cover.

RC Enthusiast
    Look what I found!

RC poster
    Thank you very much . Where did you find the instructions ? It took me one hour to find out by myself.
    The mistake I made was probably that I am using the larger magnet holder from part 6538.
    I will try the smaller one in the afternoon and let you know.

RC Enthusiast
    The wonderful world of Google.

Hope you get it working.

RC poster
    Thanks to you all everything works fine with telemetry on my Rustler. Both autodetect and normal sensors.
    I am in Greece and specialized Traxxas help is hard to find