Thread: Tekin

RC Enthusiast

Tekin

What Tekin combo is great for my rustler?

RC Qualifier
    Are you sure you want to drop that kind of coin on an ESC for a Rustler?

Personally I think Tekin is overrated and over priced especially if your not going to be doing any racing.

What's wrong with Castle or Hobbywing?
    Bashin' n' crashin'

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Totally agree with Brandon. @Fasty911 what seems to attract you to Tekin? Not saying its a bad choice. Just wondering.
    We are all one race. The human race.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    One more to chime in. I suggest the Castle Creations SCT/3800 combo. Just $100 shipped. Excellent stuff for the Rusty.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...0-3800kV+Motor

Oh, you'll also need a T-Bone Racing wheelie bar!
    Obstacle Magnet

yup totally aggree with jvogel recently got mine and its so much better that the old vxl... my velineon had problems with 11/56 and trenchers and now I'm running 16/56 with no problems so far

Yup Tekin overrated for the money!
    Man I am going to have to try the 3800, right now I run the SV3 4600 and it's great but everyone seems to like the 3800. I'm building a LCG one right now with MM 5700
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    yea the 3800 is a beast. Especially with the MMP ESC
    We are all one race. The human race.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    yea the 3800 is a beast. Especially with the MMP ESC
    yeah I plan on selling my sidewinder sct and get a et3s..
    but right now I dont have the money and want to spend more time bashing around and have some fun

Quote Originally Posted by timmey77 View Post
    yeah I plan on selling my sidewinder sct and get a et3s..
    but right now I dont have the money and want to spend more time bashing around and have some fun
    Now that's going to extreme! But I likey JV told me I was insane for thinking of doing that .
    Stampede/Rustler

Like others have said I wouldn't put any Tekin gear in any bashing truck, it's just way too pricey.

I don't know about Tekin being overrated though.

I've never had any of their gear but from watching how they perform at the UK Short Course Nationals, I have massive respect for their performance capability. I've watched in awe how their 4-pole Pro4 4600 motor throws a 4x4 SCT around like a rag doll. It would totally flog my Castle 3800 and 4600 motors.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
    Like others have said I wouldn't put any Tekin gear in any bashing truck, it's just way too pricey.

I don't know about Tekin being overrated though.

I've never had any of their gear but from watching how they perform at the UK Short Course Nationals, I have massive respect for their performance capability. I've watched in awe how their 4-pole Pro4 4600 motor throws a 4x4 SCT around like a rag doll. It would totally flog my Castle 3800 and 4600 motors.
    So true that their motors are great for RACING but I think we are all talking about bashing and having fun (I hope). Most Racers around here use Tekin but they are mainly buggies and truggies. Hard to find Traxxas on the race track nowadays.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Champion
    There's a spec slash class at all the major tracks in texas. There's a open 2wd stadium truck class at the new indoor 1/10 track in houston. I think there's plenty of chances for traxxas to be on the track down here and the tekin system would be great for racing but will need to waterproofed for bashing.
    Forgot to mention there's also a novice class at H.A.R.C. which is a "run what you got class" but it there is no points.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

Yeah we tried a run what you brung class but nobody brought anything but buggies and trugs really wanted to see my Rusty against others on the track for fun.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    Yeah we tried a run what you brung class but nobody brought anything but buggies and trugs really wanted to see my Rusty against others on the track for fun.
    Lol some people just want to win since they can't get past the pack. At least at H.A.R.C. you can be in novice class as long as you like but your encouraged if you're older to get into the correct class.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

I've had great fun racing a Rustler and a Slash over the past few years. I've even raced my LCG 2WD Slash in a multi-round national comp for the past 2 years (me and my son were the only Slash drivers - go Traxxas!). We finished well down the field of course but had great fun and managed to finish above quite a few drivers with "race bred" trucks sporting fancy electrics.

Getting back on topic, I still find it hard to believe that Tekin are "overrrated" as a brand. That's quite a disparaging remark as you're saying they're not really as good as most people think they are. Overkill? For bashing, most definitely. Overpriced? Maybe. But overrated? I doubt it from what I've seen of them and the results they seem to achieve.

Getting back on topic, I still find it hard to believe that Tekin are "overrrated" as a brand. That's quite a disparaging remark as you're saying they're not really as good as most people think they are. Overkill? For bashing, most definitely. Overpriced? Maybe. But overrated? I doubt it from what I've seen of them and the results they seem to achieve.
    Well I guess I could have chose my words better , Overkill for bashing is a perfect way to put it! Overpriced for racing I would say no as like you I have seen what they do for buggies and trugs at our local track.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    The New Tekin RSX would be nice for the Ruster if you want a brushless setup but its expensive which most of there stuff is. But if your looking at keeping it brushed then the G11 from Tekin is good for the price. I bought one from Tower and love it . Tekin may be expensive and some might think its over rated but you get want you pay for. Long lasting competitive electronics Ive had my Tekin TSC 411-P2 probably since the 90's so that should tell you something About there stuff.
    03 Accord EXV6 Sedan
    Smooth As Silk

RC Enthusiast
    Brandon555 That make alot of since thanks for the reply.

RC Enthusiast
    @G-Rustler I like that is great for speed and it is rugget Its maybe worth the money.

What would be the strongest trans to upgrade up to ive alway had a problem with breaking teeth on the gears cause the plastic trans would flex when I used my 3s battery

Any gearbox with a metal motor mount should stop the flex.

If you wanted to stick with the stock tranny you could just buy one of these motor plates.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXCSKC&P=7

I run them on all my trucks with the stock tranny as it virtually eliminates the motor flex. Combine it with a Jato 32P spur gear conversion and you have a bulletproof drivetrain for about $10 all up...just an idea for you.

Sweet I'll check it out
    And I heard integy is known for its binding in the tranny

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks guys for all your replys!!!!

RC Qualifier
    I chose Tekin for the websites capabilities n specs. Price was comparable to other combos, maybe a little more.
    Modded to the Max
    Drive it like its Hot

Whoa, that truck may just have the highest gearing I've ever seen on this platform. What ratio is that and what are the specs of that beast of a motor that can pull it?

RC Qualifier

Yeah overrated might be a little harsh, but performance-wise a lot of other cheaper brands like Castle or HW will do just as well. Give Ryan Maifield or Ty Tessmann a cheap chinese made HK esc/motor and they'll still smoke the competition. The driver is what makes the difference.

If you want all the bells and whistles and top notch customer support Tekin probably can't be beat.

Just my 2 cents anyway.

Google "Tekin vs. Castle" or "Tekin vs. ________" and you'll find things can get pretty heated, lol.
    Bashin' n' crashin'

I just have to ask: To anybody who has posted in this thread about Tekin being over-priced or over-rated or whatever else along those lines. Do you or have you owned a Tekin brushless system? I'm guessing I already know the answer, but would love to hear some feedback.

I'll agree with the masses that Tekin is not your best option if you're a dedicated basher. But if you are into any kind of racing or competition, your Castle stuff can't hold a candle to Tekin. Heck, Castle doesn't even make a sensor-based motor. The Tekin stuff has some much more to offer the racer. Just their firmware alone blows most other brands out of the water.

With that said, I currently own a Tekin RX8 Gen2, which was powered by a Tekin Pro4 4600 until the rotor decided to explode. Can't really blame the motor though. That thing had been through the mill several times. Switched the motor to Hobby Wing 4700kv sensored 4-pole and I actually like it better. Smoother, runs cooler, and has every bit as much power.

I also currently own a Castle SCT v3 3800kv system, Novak GTB, LRP Sphere, Brushless Hobbies LT4, Traxxas VXL, and a few brushed systems. All my 1/10th motors are anything from Duratrax, LRP, Tekin, Novak, Atomik, and I'm sure I'm leaving something out. Not to mention all the ones that have been sold or traded over the years. So, with that said, I can safely say that Tekin is not over rated. It's pricey for sure, but there's a good reason for it. Actually several good reasons.

Sure there are budget systems out there that perform very well. Brushless Hobbies is a prime example. Same as many of the other cheaper brands (there are tons of companies selling the same cloned esc's with their name on them). It may last you for years and perform just as well as the high dollar stuff. But there's also a much bigger statistic of DOA esc's or ones that run fine one day and won't move the next time you try. Then you get to find the other reason why you saved so much money when you try to get them warrantied. Sure, you can get a bad brand name esc or motor, but the chances are much less and you'll also have much better luck getting it repaired or replaced if it does fail.

Anyway, if you have your mind made up that you want a Tekin to "play around with" in a Rustler, the RSX is probably the best option. Slightly more versatile than the RS series. The RS esc's are rated at 2S max while the RSX can run 3S, just an example. But brace yourself because that esc probably costs more than the truck you're putting it in.

RC Qualifier
    I race exclusively. Would love to have Tekin gear for its tunability and customer support. Know many many racers running them. I just can't afford that kind of cash for 6 race rigs between me and my son. So I go the affordable route which means less tuning options and zero customer support...Hobby Wing.

Quote Originally Posted by goodie1977 View Post
    I race exclusively. Would love to have Tekin gear for its tunability and customer support. Know many many racers running them. I just can't afford that kind of cash for 6 race rigs between me and my son. So I go the affordable route which means less tuning options and zero customer support...Hobby Wing.
    Hobby Wing is actually pretty good. They're stuff isn't exactly cheap either. Now, Hobby King, on the other hand is cheap hit or miss electronics. The HW v3.1 esc is pretty much the same price as a Tekin RS. They do have cheaper stuff, but you get what you pay for for the most part with HW.

Their bigger 1/8th esc's are cheaper than something like an RX8, but then again, they're specs show why. Still a good esc, but the Tekin is definitely superior.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    Hobby Wing is actually pretty good. They're stuff isn't exactly cheap either. Now, Hobby King, on the other hand is cheap hit or miss electronics. The HW v3.1 esc is pretty much the same price as a Tekin RS. They do have cheaper stuff, but you get what you pay for for the most part with HW.

Their bigger 1/8th esc's are cheaper than something like an RX8, but then again, they're specs show why. Still a good esc, but the Tekin is definitely superior.
    Most folks I race around are running RX8 in SC and 8th scales. I can't swing the V series from HW any more than I can the Tekin!!! So I have WP SC8 setups in our SC rigs and XERUN 150A in our 8th scalers. I went with HW from Falcon Sekido. They have proven reliable for us and by going to Falcon Sekido I know I am not getting a counterfeit HW...of which there are many. But it is what it is...you do get what you pay for.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by harry697 View Post
    I just have to ask: To anybody who has posted in this thread about Tekin being over-priced or over-rated or whatever else along those lines. Do you or have you owned a Tekin brushless system? I'm guessing I already know the answer, but would love to hear some feedback.

I'll agree with the masses that Tekin is not your best option if you're a dedicated basher. But if you are into any kind of racing or competition, your Castle stuff can't hold a candle to Tekin. Heck, Castle doesn't even make a sensor-based motor. The Tekin stuff has some much more to offer the racer. Just their firmware alone blows most other brands out of the water.

With that said, I currently own a Tekin RX8 Gen2, which was powered by a Tekin Pro4 4600 until the rotor decided to explode. Can't really blame the motor though. That thing had been through the mill several times. Switched the motor to Hobby Wing 4700kv sensored 4-pole and I actually like it better. Smoother, runs cooler, and has every bit as much power.

I also currently own a Castle SCT v3 3800kv system, Novak GTB, LRP Sphere, Brushless Hobbies LT4, Traxxas VXL, and a few brushed systems. All my 1/10th motors are anything from Duratrax, LRP, Tekin, Novak, Atomik, and I'm sure I'm leaving something out. Not to mention all the ones that have been sold or traded over the years. So, with that said, I can safely say that Tekin is not over rated. It's pricey for sure, but there's a good reason for it. Actually several good reasons.

Sure there are budget systems out there that perform very well. Brushless Hobbies is a prime example. Same as many of the other cheaper brands (there are tons of companies selling the same cloned esc's with their name on them). It may last you for years and perform just as well as the high dollar stuff. But there's also a much bigger statistic of DOA esc's or ones that run fine one day and won't move the next time you try. Then you get to find the other reason why you saved so much money when you try to get them warrantied. Sure, you can get a bad brand name esc or motor, but the chances are much less and you'll also have much better luck getting it repaired or replaced if it does fail.

Anyway, if you have your mind made up that you want a Tekin to "play around with" in a Rustler, the RSX is probably the best option. Slightly more versatile than the RS series. The RS esc's are rated at 2S max while the RSX can run 3S, just an example. But brace yourself because that esc probably costs more than the truck you're putting it in.
    Yup you cant go wrong with the Tekin RSX one of the best engineered Tekin ESC's ever made by my opinion.
    03 Accord EXV6 Sedan
    Smooth As Silk

Quote Originally Posted by goodie1977 View Post
    I can't swing the V series from HW any more than I can the Tekin!!! So I have WP SC8 setups in our SC rigs and XERUN 150A in our 8th scalers.
    I hear that! Only reason I got the RX8 Gen2 is because I found a good deal on a NIP unit from a local. Was running the Tekin Pro4 with a MMP in my Tekno SCT410 and the esc was constantly shutting down. I suppose it was thermal, but it never temped over 130. The guy that runs my local track/LHS told me it was gonna happen and he was right. I just don't know how all these people are running these big 4wd's with the MMP. I see plenty of them, but then again, it never seems to be the fast guys. So that could be a good reason.

Once I put the RX8 in, not only did it stop shutting down, but it was also way faster and tons more punch. I'm talking night and day difference. Same motor, batteries and everything else.

If you're looking for a good cheap (I use those terms loosely because it's a crap shoot) take a look at one of the v2.1 clones. There are tons out there. The Brushless Hobbies LT4 is one of them. They're supposedly the same Chinese clone, but they claim to change all the FET's to Toshiba (Japanese) pieces. For the first few years, people were raving about them. But it seems like within the past year or so, the quality control has dropped terribly. Check out the thread over on rctech in the electric off-road forum. Countless pages of happy customers, but the last couple pages are all horror stories.

I make a habit of buying them used with the mentality that if they're still in good working order, they must be from a good batch. Seems like buying new these days doesn't have very good odds. I currently have two of them and love the way they work. Fully programmable with HW 3-in-1 program box or via USB interface. They use HW software and have programmable turbo, boost, turbo curve, turbo delay, LVC, run mode, overheat protection etc. Basically all the stuff you'll find on the higher end esc's.

I know that there are a ton of these identical esc's that have been re-badged. Hobby King X-Car, Atomik Red 120a, Hobby Wing v2.1, BHR LT4, and a bunch of others. Atomik was actually blowing them out on Ebay a couple months ago. You could get the esc and sensored Atomik motor of your choice for $80 free shipping!!!! You're taking your chances with these cheap clones, but if you get a good one, it's one heck of an esc at an awesome price!

harry697 you asked if anyone has the Tekin, No I can honestly say I do not. I hang with a group of guy's that use them but they all race. Undeniably Tekin is the best out there and your going to pay for for the best. I run their cars every now and then and I will admit there is no comparison to what I have but I also find it is way to fast for me. My reaction time is not the same as when I was a youngster.
    I guess if Fasty911 would have included his/her uses either for bashing or racing would most of these answers be appropriate.
    If I was an all out racer there would be no question what I would be running but for bashing around the Castle system is by far the best bang for your buck. I don't think I would pay more than double for a esc/motor setup that I will be bashing around.
    I am fairly new to the brushless age so it may explain some of the ignorance I display. I would love to own a Tekin setup and someday I will but for now Castle seems to be my best choice and is perfect for my needs.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Qualifier
    34/36, its one of those speed rustlers. RX8 w 2650kv T8 on 5s @ MrWolf
    Modded to the Max
    Drive it like its Hot