RC Competitor

Driveshaft Upgrade

I'm looking for a good upgrade for the Slash 4x4 rear drive-shaft. (I'm currently running the stock one). I was gonna get the Tekno M6 TKR6852X but it comes with the plastic hub carriers and wheel hexes which I don't want. Is it possible to buy the parts separately?
    http://www.powerhobby.com/tekno-tkr6...lash-stam.html

I would suggest that you get the Mip X-Duty axles. You have to run the Tekno rear hub carriers for them to work. Mip's use whatever you want to use.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Competitor
    What are the pros and cons? Because I will be running 4s soon.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

The cons they are heavier than Teknos. The pros, they are almost indestructible, they can take whatever you can throw at them. Virtually maintenance free, they fit whatever hub carriers you want, axles are keyed so they won't break at the hex pin. Lastly their warranty and customer service is excellent m

RC Competitor
    It looks good except the fact that it has splines. Sometimes dirt gets into them and you have to clean them out. That's one of the reasons I'm upgrading. Does it happen to the MIPS as well?

Quote Originally Posted by theunliked View Post
    It looks good except the fact that it has splines. Sometimes dirt gets into them and you have to clean them out. That's one of the reasons I'm upgrading. Does it happen to the MIPS as well?
    Maintenance is alwasy importnat for all thses parts, the X duty came with grease as well to put on those joints so that the clicking noise of metal is reduced. Thes egrease normally will atract fmore dirt, how ever beign so strong I dont think you will have problems as the plastic ones where the shafts would eventually twist and bind wwith dirt.

You could also go for dog bone drive shafts from FLm but they do not make them any more or tecno, I have not used them so cannot say on the durability but lost alos stand by them.

I think X duty MIP, even though tey are splines, they will take all the beatings you will put into them.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Champion
    Go MIP and you'll never go back
    Slash 4x4 built w/ RC4WD PRL RPM STRC TRX and MIP

RC Qualifier
    I just bought tekno for all four corners I'll let ya know how they are by the end of the week. Got tired of snapping plastic every time I drive it. Personally I just didn't want to deal with the extra weight and grub screws coming loose all the time.
    Josh

Never tried Tekno... MIP for me!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonj1018 View Post
    I just bought tekno for all four corners I'll let ya know how they are by the end of the week. Got tired of snapping plastic every time I drive it. Personally I just didn't want to deal with the extra weight and grub screws coming loose all the time.
    Josh
    Yeah same. Snapped and replaced the stock one so many times.
    I've pretty much decided on the MIPS based on general opinion but I'd also like to see how your tekno goes. I personally like the M6's design but seems like its weaker.

RC Racer
    I have had Tekno driveshafts now for well over a year and not a single problem. My truck is the HCG running 2400kv motor on 3s. I'm very happy with them. I think you can't got wrong with either of the 2 (Tekno or MIP).

RC Racer
    I bent the Teknos so I changed to MIP. They are definitely the better choice if you are hard on your truck.

RC Competitor
    I found this: http://miponline.com/store/mip10130.html
    Do they sell it in pairs? Or I have to buy two just to change the back? ($300 to change all four)

They come in pairs. That will cover both rear CVDs.

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonj1018 View Post
    Josh
    i have x-duty's on my fronts and rears and have never had a grub screw come loose and being i don't race can afford the extra chub they add to my truck.

I know there's no comparison but you could look at the traxxas cvd's I'm running them of course only on 2s, may have to see if I can tear em up on 3s one day

Quote Originally Posted by theunliked View Post
    No it doesn't. Mip's are made of billet steel. The stockers are made of plastic dirt gets imbedded into the plastic. Steel can't do that
    Last edited by El Sob; 03-16-2015 at 11:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    No it doesn't. Mip's are made of carbide billet steel. The stockers are made of plastic dirt gets imbedded into the plastic. Steel can't do that
    I'd have to agree with El sob, the grit gets worked into the plastic, plus the plastic ones feel kind of bound just by themselves, even when they aren't that dirty
    Only issue I would foresee with the mip axles is maybe rust, but if you clean and maintain them properly you should be fine,
    Only reason I went with the traxxas cvd's instead of mip is the cvd's have protective boots over both cv joints and a boot covering the shaft where it telescopes In and out

RC Racer
    I run mips and I beat both of my trucks I run on beach sand mud dirt snow rain I do not care. I have not had 1 issue in 6 months of running only on 3s and soon 4s I have never greased them and I dont even look at them anymore LOL.

RC Competitor
    Mips it is. Thanks for your input guys I really appreciate it!
    By the way, is this legit and will I get exactly the same parts? http://www.ebay.com/itm/MIP-X-Duty-C...item4d2d3b0a11
    Last edited by theunliked; 03-17-2015 at 01:44 AM.

If you get what is picturred, it's old. MIP uses a keyed axle now. Those are the older keyed ones.

RC Enthusiast
    I've been over two years on the MIPs rear only. Broke one of the old style MIPs in the old days when they had a pin thought them the newer design X-Duties are indestructible and required very little maintenance - I have Never had one bind or rust up and I run in UK mud (v.sticky) virtually every run. Quick brush off once mud is dry and a spray with ACF-50 and nothing else - no signs of wear. Also confirm customer support is excellent. Strongly recommended. They are so good I have no reason to try the competition.

Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    If you get what is picturred, it's old. MIP uses a keyed axle now. Those are the older keyed ones.
    Typo...
    Should have said, "Those are the older PINNED ones."

RC Qualifier
    MIP xduty owner since 2010. 2 broken axles on the older pin style. Only downside seems to be rotating mass wears out diffs/cups sooner.
    slash 4x4

RC Qualifier
    I made a trend on this same thing a while back and everyone said the mip xdutys so
    I ordered them and installed them this morning I love them they are extremely durable looking and are very tough / rugged I have not run them you but they feel and look extremely durable however they are very heavy they add alot of weight. I have my truck very light so I dont mind if you are looking for light weight go tekno or mip steel cvds but I would highly suggest the x dutys

RC Competitor
    It has finally arrived! Going to install them tomorrow!

Awesome... keep us posted!

RC Competitor
    Sorry to jump in late, I've also ran MIPs you'll like them.I'm now running the traxxas steel ones(I believe they refer to them as xo-1) front and rear on 3s with out any issues.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Awesome... keep us posted!
    Running great! I didn't put the blue thread gel on the wheel hex screw because I wanted to reserve it. So it come loose when I took my wheel out. I put some on its drying out now.
    I noticed that dirt was sticking to the grease I put in between the two axles. Any solutions to that?