Thread: Lihv batteries

Lihv batteries

I just updated my Powerlab 6 and now there is a lihv preset. Turns out revolectrix is also producing lihv batteries among one or two other manufacturers. I looked it up and all I can find is that it is a high discharge lithium cobalt chemistry that can charge up to 4.35 volts per cell. Any other info on them?
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

ThunderPower has announced them too.
    Revolectrix is already selling the 4.27-Volt per cell versions.

Perhaps check out those manufacturers.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Just ordered 4 of them from Revolectrix. 2 of the 427 and 2 of the 435

You need to be careful about size VS capacity. If you look at the dimensions most of their packs above 3700mah in 2S are too long for most traxxas 2X4 vehicles. I ordered 2 of the 4200mah 2S 427's and 2 of the 3700mah 2S 435's... i don't mind being the guinea pig to see how they perform.

Cool! We're you looking for new batteries anyway?

Nope. Just figured why not.

RC Qualifier
    So, these things are moe powerful than LiPo?

They can be charged to a higher voltage. Its VERY minimal. Even on the highest rated versions its only .15 higher than a standard lipo. So on a 2S your going to see only a .30 volt increase. I plan to do a direct speed comparison between the 235 and a standard 2S lipo... just to see how much of a difference it makes. Probably not worth the trade off in capacity as these packs all seem to be pretty small.

but if you look at the specs, it seems they are EXTREMELY thin. Making me wonder why they wouldn't take the 3700 2S pack and run it in a 2s2p configuration for double the capacity. Ill know more when they arrive.

With the really low resistance of our power systems .3v total extra may mean noticeably more power. Not necessarily more speed but possibly more torque. One guy claims he saw a 20% increase in power with the hv lipos in his airplane.

I can see it in a plane or heli... especially if your running the 6S pack as it would equate to nearly a whole volt more. In a 3500kv truck on 2S that .3 extra volt at full throttle equates to about 1150rpm more from the motor. I just don't know if on a 2X4 truck it will be at all noticeable as any 2S lipo of 40C or more is overkill even for a 4 pole system.

I wish asheck was around to do his datalog testing... I think it was him anyway, who tested all kinds of motors and batteries to see what the true amp draw was in all conditions. He had a great thread going a long time ago about it.

Yes, it was asheck. I saw that the multirotor community was very excited about these cells, but you are correct that these packs make a much bigger difference to them, but that may be as much because of the weight reduction as the voltage increase.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

I just got my LiHv batteries in the mail today from Revolectrix. I have to say, first impressions are good. Havent charged or tested them yet at all. But the packaging and construction of the batteries themselves is excellent.

They did not come with any connectors installed so i had to install my own TRX connectors. Not a big deal, but if you dont want to or cant solder your own connectors, this may be a concern.

I can see why the capacities are so low on these packs as well. They are SUPER thin. In fact, 2 of the 3700mah 2S packs are about the same depth as my single hardcased 6500mah 2S SPC pack. If your looking for long run times you could probably run 2 of these in parallel and fit them both in say, a slash or stampede battery compartment. If you want a light battery and dont mind swapping them, they may be great. I do see a problem with getting the thin packs to stay tight in a typical traxxas battery tray... foam spacers will be a must.

The 4200mah packs are a little thicker but still, much thinner than a typical 2S hardcased pack.

Ive got a bunch of pictures uploading and will post them shortly.

Here's the pics:
    They sent me the 4 packs in this case, which I think is a carry bag for a PL6.

The boxes each pack comes in:

The 4 packs I ordered. Notice my last name is printed on each label:

They sent what I think is a temperature sticker for each pack. Might try them... Maybe not:

Comparison to a typical 2s hardcase pack:

The 3700mah packs, stacked, compared to a single 2s hardcased. Note that my hardcase has Velcro on the bottom so it looks thicker than it is:

The 4200s compared to a 2s hardcase:

Interesting batteries, yeah it will be great to here your feedback on them.
    I purchased a 3c Life battery to test out on my futaba 4pls controller instead of the normal AA, I thought of purchasing them but was not too sure yet...

Would be definetely great for the erbes too, would want that, looks like thecnology keeps improving.
    Live life to the fullest

They do appear to be of exceptional quality. Having your name on them is nice too. It appears the 2 3700mah packs can be used for a combined total of 7400mah with minimal issues in some trucks. Thd carrying bag is also a nice addition to the order. I dont think the temp stickers will be necessary but I guess if they include them it would probably be best to keep a close eye on temps for the first few runs. I can't wait to hear someaformance review.

any updates on performance?

Any updates pave?

RC Racer
    Wow almost everyone on this thread is either a "rc champion" turnbuckle jr" or "marshal"
    (Think to my self "mabey one day ill be that expirenced")