Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It's been a little while, but I had to scoot Jack'd out of the drivers seat for a bit to make room for a Fat Shark FPV set-up.

I got the 1088 model, then stepped up to the Pilot HD cam' for easy recording, and HD. The 1088 will power straight from the balance plug of any 2,3,or 4s so I can run it in this or my boat or Pro-Street F-100 (THAT will be a fun ride ).

I know, my "gimbal" is pretty cheesy but it holds solid enough for rock climbin'.

If I can get this link right, you can ride along.

lets try this .....
    http://vid1315.photobucket.com/album...psyo0fxucg.mp4

or is it this .....

or this ....

<embed width="600" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" wmode="transparent" src="http://static.photobucket.com/player.swf" flashvars="file=http%3A%2F%2Fvid1315.photobucket.c om%2Falbums%2Ft599%2Fdr_frankenstyle%2FPunky%2520v ideos%2520030_zpsyo0fxucg.mp4&title=">

anyway, to be honest .... FPV crawling is kind of a snoozer, once it starts climbin', you pretty much just see wobbly sky.
    But just driving around the yard and driveway is a blast!
    chop it up ... stitch it up ...It's ALIVE !!!

What a cool build! Keep up the amazing work!
    Rustler | MERV | Summit | Slash Ultimate | Slash

Thanks, this little truck has been a lot of fun to build and it's still really fun to "drive". The Fat Shark just added a whole new level to it.

RC Qualifier
    Fantastic build! Amazing attention to detail!
    Summit, Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4

Thank You, she's kinda grown her own personality, but she IS a lot of fun .... and now she has a new set of "eyes".
    MORE fun!

I am inspired by this build and I'm building my own now.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    I am inspired by this build and I'm building my own now.
    Awesome !! Be sure and post it so we can see it.
    Any questions, I'll help out if I can.

RC poster
    Aah Dr F, very nice indeed. ..So I bought my youngest a brushed 1/16 Slash, it landed up being too small for for our terrain, so I got him and his brother both 1/16 Summits. So the little Slash nobody wanted to buy it so it landed onthe shelf, only 2 months old and very lonely, it did however land up next to old crappy RC model Defender 90...as for Pumkinstein...I noticed the wheelbases matched ! An the hacking started.
    I have ordered a pile of stuff from Tower Hobbies (arriving soon) and the 1/12 scale crawler build starts - I'll send pics.
    I also thought of building a reduction box (I could also just buy a weelie king 7.5:1 for 20 US but could you post or send me some closer pics of your reduction unit please ? I also plan on building a big nitro version using a revo 3.3 (Also want to build a lowrange 1st, which automatically switches to 2nd normal speed...

Excellent work - I am in your footsteps.

Fantastic !! Glad to hear the virus is spreading. You'll definitely need to post pic's.
    My GRU is pretty simple, just a couple of aluminum plates with the right sized spacers. I made it with just a drill-press and basic tools. I made it pretty compact to fit the little Summit. I'll get some better pic's of it posted soon.
    My Revo 3.3 Crawler thread is in the Revo section, just old. I cut the chassis and it uses a 14T T-Maxx clutch-bell driving a 72T spur. It's a turtle for a Revo, but still too quick to really be a crawler. But it IS a LOT of fun.
    Can't wait to see your build. Let me know if I can help at all.
    And Thank You for the good words.

Awesome FPV video! Feels like I am inside the little truck. Do you use FPV googles or what? What is your FPV set up, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Madmanrc View Post
    Aah Dr F, very nice indeed. ..
    .....I also thought of building a reduction box (I could also just buy a weelie king 7.5:1 for 20 US but could you post or send me some closer pics of your reduction unit please ? I also plan on building a big nitro version using a revo 3.3 (Also want to build a lowrange 1st, which automatically switches to 2nd normal speed...

Excellent work - I am in your footsteps.
    I pulled the gru out of Punky and took some shots ....

... so you can see it's just 2 plates with the proper sized spacers ...

I drilled extra holes to access the motor screws and slotted the motor side so I can adjust for different pinions. Space is really tight in the little Summit, so I tried to make it as compact as I could. I filed the inside of the spacers to clear the 40T. You can see a washer between the gru and the Traxxas motor-mount, that's to run the 9T pinions. Pinions smaller than 11T have shallow bores, so I had to cut off the VXL motors shaft and run the washer to get the "long" pinions lined up right. I even filed a notch in the motor-mount to get tighter on the transmission.

Building the reduction was pretty easy, you just need good alignment and tolerances on the bearing holes and spacers. I use a 1/8 drill-bit as the shaft. Hope these help ....
    I added the big Summit remote T-Lock diffs to my 3.3 crawler, check out the thread.
    And have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by jdpasl View Post
    Awesome FPV video! Feels like I am inside the little truck. Do you use FPV googles or what? What is your FPV set up, etc?
    Thanks I tried to get as "drivers eye-view" as I could. I picked up the basic Fat Shark set-up, with the Teleporter V5 goggles, then added their "Pilot" HD camera.

Mine is the FSV-1088, I liked it because it has a power-tap/filter that powers the tx and camera off of the balance plug for any 2, 3 or 4S lipo. No need for an extra battery just for the FPV.

The original camera (on the right) works well, but the Pilot will record straight to a TF card. And the HD picture and recording quality IS better.
    I've tried crawling with the goggles, and pulled out the GRU and buzzed around the yard. The "head-tracking" mode is REALLY cool, looking around from the drivers seat is totally WILD. I just took the cam' set-up back out of my scale Pro-Street truck. I recorded a "ride-along" thru a couple of wheelies and scale Quarter-mile runs, but I still haven't taken it somewhere "safe" and driven fast with the goggles. I drive it in the rural highway, so I haven't had the nerve to jump "inside" it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by dr frankenstyle View Post
    Thanks I tried to get as "drivers eye-view" as I could. I picked up the basic Fat Shark set-up, with the Teleporter V5 goggles, then added their "Pilot" HD camera.
    Nice, that looks like FPV gear for beginner. Where did you get it? What website to order it?

Yeah, I'm NOT a drone racer or even close, I just wanted to "sit inside" my RCs and record the rides. I do like the head-tracking feature of the Fat Shark.
    I got mine on eBay, from a e-hobby-shop on there. Got the Pilot from a different eBay shop too.
    Easy and to-the-house.

RC poster
    Dr Frankenstyle, thanks for the GRU pics. Dead simple. I can do cad design and send out alot of laser cutting so that will be an easy neat upgrade. I got myself a Revo 2.5 for 67 USD complete as the donour for the build. I am goin to make a new chassis for it I think. I want to install onboard remote start and stop and some other bots so a custom chassis will be welcomed.
    Fat Shark FPV is on the wishlist...
    I will post pics of my little D90 Crawler soon, I need to find some 76mm high crawler tyres...the stock slash tyres are too small and flippin hard.. Cheers !

You're quite welcome Sounds like you can make one cleaner than mine, so you'll be good to go.
    My Revo thread is back in March of '15. I went kind of wild with it too, like Punky. (I need to get the Revo out and burn some fuel )
    I had an couple of extra flooring jobs come thru together, made a little extra $$, that's when I got my 'Shark set-up.
    76mm might be tough, even with the 1.9's, under 90mm was hard to find. Check on eBay, and you might try Losi mini tires. I'm running their memory foams in my tires now. You may have to get something smaller and cut out the beads, like I did on my Pro-Street F-100. It's running 2.2 tires, cut out, and stretched over Jato 2.8 wheels.
    Be sure and post some pic's and let me know what section you put it in.

A sound kit in your crawler would be awesome or just speakers to play some music while you crawl or somthin

Awesome work!!!

Your truck is a good example of why the current scale comp rules are too restrictive.

Quote Originally Posted by yogertdog View Post
    A sound kit in your crawler would be awesome or just speakers to play some music while you crawl or somthin
    Adding music is pretty easy now, I have a blue tooth cube I run from my phone. It does pretty well, but its range is significantly impacted by the number of TXs that are around.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

Quote Originally Posted by yogertdog View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    Awesome work!!!

Your truck is a good example of why the current scale comp rules are too restrictive.

Adding music is pretty easy now, I have a blue tooth cube I run from my phone. It does pretty well, but its range is significantly impacted by the number of TXs that are around.
    Thank you, I've thought about a music/sound system for it. I recently picked up a Ipod touch 5, and I've got it hooked into my street truck with the Traxxas Link set-up. The working "dash" is way too cool! I guess a Bluetooth speaker set-up would work with it too. I'll have to look into that, thanks.
    Yep, it's kind of a contradiction (like most of my builds ) .... a "scaler" without straight axles .... but it's LOTs of fun!

Thanks for checkin' it out.

very very impressive build!!!! I have a mini revo that I've turned into a rock crawler but I'm waiting for the weather to warm up so I can test it. Have you locked the diffs on yours or are they still open?

Thank You You should post up some pic's. They can handle a little cold weather .... even a little snow can be fun.
    I'm running re-usable adhesive or "picture hanging putty" (like blue-tack) in mine. It lets it turn better. When a wheel is in the air it spins, slowly, then the putty fills the gears and the diff semi-locks. It seems to work really well. Mine is geared so low that a little slip on a tire doesn't hurt it much.

I know they can handle the cold but sometimes it's too cold for me!!!! I have the front diff completely locked on mine, I used JB Weld, but I might try the putty in the back. It's another one of those got put on a shelf for a while then I got bored so I tried to make something out of it projects.

Yep, I can relate to that.
    Locking the rear diff makes 'em hard turning, the putty will let it slip enough to turn easier. I just tried the putty first, in the front, and I'm happy with it.
    Mine was 2 shelf-sitters ... before Pumkinstein was "born".

I think I have 9 or 10 shelf sitters. I would try and post some pics but I don't have a Photobucket account yet.

Yeah, seems that a bunch of us have that virus. Most of my herd (pic's in the nearby thread) is just gettin' dusty. I've been messing with my DTS-1, and putting TSM and telemetry in my pro-street truck lately. I need to fire up the nitro's again.

Maybe someday .... before next winter.

I know how ya feel there too my revo 3.3 hasn't been run in probably six months... or longer the reason being I had to take the pull start and the carb off of it for my 3.3 rustler and haven't had the time to put it back together.

I love the mini summit and the trailer a lot. You're scaling detail and talent is top of the game. the mini bashers make good a hard body base. Hows well dose it pull the trailer fully loaded?

I have a 1/18 rc with a 1/14 or 1/12 jeepish body. Saddly it needs a lower turn motor, it came stock geared for speed.

Quote Originally Posted by RCMad72 View Post
    I know how ya feel there too my revo 3.3 hasn't been run in probably six months... or longer the reason being I had to take the pull start and the carb off of it for my 3.3 rustler and haven't had the time to put it back together.
    It's been longer for mine, but I put a new carb' and fuel tank on my Revo before shelving her. They're so inexpensive on the 'bay, I put a fresh tank on with every gallon of fuel and a new carb every 2 gal's.
    This discussion is givin' me the itch to fire it up, but it's gettin' COLD this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by IanRose View Post
    I love the mini summit and the trailer a lot. You're scaling detail and talent is top of the game. the mini bashers make good a hard body base. Hows well dose it pull the trailer fully loaded?

I have a 1/18 rc with a 1/14 or 1/12 jeepish body. Saddly it needs a lower turn motor, it came stock geared for speed.
    Thank You I really enjoy spending the time "refining" my rigs.
    I have the springs cranked way tight on all 4 shocks (it just almost limits suspension travel) to support the body and all of the added goodies.
    I made a helper spring for this truck to pull the boat that snaps in easily for towing, and out for crawling. It's biggest problem is .... with the gru in, it's too slow for towing, but with it out, it's too fast for crawling. That (and it looked funny in front of the boat) is why I built the Pro-Street F-100 in the other thread here.
    I lower the gears in all my rigs (even the RC motorcycle) for more "scale" speeds. And I don't like walking very far if (when ) I crash.

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 12-16-2016 at 10:13 PM.

I've never heard of changing the tank and carb but it's definitely a good idea

It may be a bit overkill, but I figure a new fuel system is one better than a cleaned one. Mine sit a while between run sessions, and that helps get me easier starting and tuning when I do fire it back up.

Okay, it's been to long since this thread has had some action, so here are a few pics of my merv crawler project with a Toyota FJ hard body. Hey Doc, is there any chance that you can post some blueprints of the reduction box?

http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...ps7ybq5zsn.jpg
    http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/...psdcp7mydd.jpg
    if you fall, I'll catch you! - Your Floor

That's a good lookin' FJ! I had Punky out on the rock-pile just the other day, playin' with the winch.
    I'll see what I can draw up for you, may not be "blue'..." but I can get some spec's written on it. I pretty much threw it together from some aluminum rod and flat-stock. I'll get some measurements from it tomorrow and post up more info.

Always happy to help when I can.

I still have some bugs to work out with mine, but it's a project that was beat to death before it was given to me so what can I say.

My projects never end, it seems, and most of them have their scars. I just noticed that I lost a tow shackle off of the back, I guess when I went winchin'. Oh well, got more.
    It was a nice, calm morning so I took a couple of the 'copters out for some air-time. Then the wind picked up and we had a little crash-time. Oh well .... that's flyin' sometimes. Anyway back to ground level.
    I pulled the GRU out and took some shots with a ruler. Here's the set-up.

I made it from 1/8in. aluminum plate and 1/4in. rod, with just a hacksaw, files and my bench-top drill-press. I just used a small vise and drill-bits, didn't even have my x/y vise or end-mill bits back then.
    I just cut and filed the alum' rod to 1/2in. lengths and drilled them for the screws. I made it wide enough to use the thickest pinion gear that I had and I shim the thinner gear with washers. You can see some of my rods weren't quite square, but I used the straightest ones close to the gear.

Then I cut a couple of plate pieces 1 x 1-1/2in. and started drilling and filing the slots for a bit of motor adjustability for different pinion sizes. I used 5/16 flanged bearings so I clamped the 2 plates together and drilled for them and the corner holes too. I shallow-drilled and sunk the screw heads, but you only need a flush fit on one end of each side. I ended up filing the button-heads flat too.

I used the factory motor mount to mark and drill the holes for it, then tapped them for m3 screws. I use a long 9t or 10t pinion, so I drilled a washer to shim the motor-mount from the GRU for proper gear alignment with the spur. I drilled double holes opposite the motor mounting slots for wrench access with different gears.

I just cut the shank end from a 1/8in. drill-bit for a shaft. Ground a couple dimples in it, with the Dremel, for the gears' set-screws. By installing the bearings from the inside with the gear and washers, when you slide the shaft thru, the gear holds everything together when you tighten it in.
    You may notice the "bite" out of the edge ..... to run pinions as small as I do, I had to file a notch in the GRU and the factory motor-mount to get clearance for the slipper nut on the trans'.

Hope this helps. If you need more pic's or spec's, let me know.

Now to find the other shackles ......
    and 'copter parts.

I think I get it but if you could tell me where you got the pinions and the spur that would be great.

I get 'em on eBay, just search for 48-pitch pinions. That matches the factory gears and keeps the diameters small for the GRU. Even the spur for the GRU is a 40t pinion gear. The really small pinions, 9t or 10t, are "long" pinions listed for an SCX10. They have shallow, blind holes so I had to cut off my motor shaft to run 'em on the motor. I have 30t and 35t gears, and the 40t that's in it now, so I can change the ratio. I had to file the insides of the aluminum rods to run the 40t. I have 9,10,11, and 12t gears to use for pinions.
    Your lhs probably has some too. You can use whatever ratio you want. I wanted around a 3:1 or 4:1 reduction for mine .... and the 40t is the biggest that will fit in my GRU. With the 9t it gives it around a 4.5 to 1 drop .... SUPER Granny gear.

Hope this helps,
    jim

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 01-31-2017 at 08:53 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12