Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Little Summit ...Crawler (rePost)

It seems to me that lots of people are building rock crawlers lately so I thought I'd post a thread on my Mini Summit build that I call "Pumkinstein".

It really IS a Summit VXL under the old "Midnight Pumpkin" body, so I guess now it's a 1/12th scale Summit

I beefed it up with lots of aluminum (GPM arms and body mounts, Integy carriers, Fullfoce skids) and some hand built parts. I mounted an E-Revo receiver box to hold the Big Summit 4 ch radio set. It runs a Dynamite "Tazer" ESC (with drag-brake) controlling the VXL motor. That drives a hand-built 4.5 to 1 gear reduction pushing a 9T pinion thru a 55T spur into a flipped tranny, so top speed is tumbling down the rock pile.

I fit it with RC4WD 1.9 "wagon"s and 90mm tires (weighted fronts) with memory foams. Handbuilt hanger for the rear shackles and mount for the Warn winch and bumper-guard (a rear bumper for an HPI Bullet, cut and modified to mount to the heavy alum' skid). Filled both diff's with re-usable adhesive putty, shimmed 'em up and the carriers. I couldn't find LWB aluminum arms, so I cut and tweaked the rear uppers into LWB's, and if you look closely, you'll see that the rear lowers are actually FRONT lowers that I mod'ed the chassis ends and the chassis pivots a bit and mounted backwards to max out the wheelbase and get it back to matching the body's.

I added a few scale details to the Pumkin hard-body, mirrors, tailgate chains, personalized plates, made a roll-bar from alum', added some scale treadplate etc. Switch the lights from the radio ( ch 4 & 5).
    It's crazy fun on the rocks !

chop it up ... stitch it up ...It's ALIVE !!!

Traxxas Marshal
    That's a great looking truck!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

That my friend, is what you call, thinking outside the box. Very nice build.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

Thank You gentlemen
    Yeah, I built my Revo 3.3 into a rock'er about 3 years ago and bought the little Summit to run thru the winter while the Rev' was up on blocks. Then when I got the Revo together and shelved the mini next to the old, dead Pumpkin I noticed the wheelbases matched up , soooo .... a bit of grave robbin', a cut here , file there , yatta yatta and Pumkinstein was born.
    I think I love the customizing as much or more than the running.

and I DO still use the box, to hold the old parts.

RC Qualifier
    I just ordered some cheap led lights for my mini summit, 2 wires going to RX channel 3. I wasnt sure if they would be controlled via the remote? or just always be on ??

The price was right so I was just gonna find out the hard way....... BUT....... just saw your post.

Built it as a "crawler" out of stock parts left over from other upgraded trucks LOL, tranny gear flip, brushed titan 12t/xl2.5, 45/26 gearing. ( tried 45/19 but they wouldnt touch)

Because its brushed it can go snail speed, but its actually got quite a bit of pep for the flat spots between rugged terrain.... rather than carry it there.
    Last edited by knall; 03-21-2015 at 12:48 AM.

Bad news for the lights, without some type of switch they'll stay on. I control mine thru 2 Traxxas micro servos mounted in the body. Ch 4 switches the headlights, 5 does the off-road lights. The servos click micro-switches, all on a special bracket. You can see the wires in the pic' at the rear body mount.
    Yeah, it's kind of a hitch, if you run brushed, it limits your pinion size more. With the 55 spur and brushless, I can run a 9T (with the motor shaft trimmed), but the big e-revo radio box sits outboard a little too. I have to pull the gear-down unit for trail running. It will barely keep walking speed at full throttle with it in, but it climbs like a little goat.

Here are a couple action shots on the rock pile from my go-pro.

I'm tryin' to load a short video to photobucket but it's failed twice, hopefully soon.

Got a short video to load, couldn't get Photobucket to load a bigger one.
    Crap, I don't know which link to copy ....
    Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 03-25-2015 at 09:50 PM. Reason: bad link

What type of winch do you have in it? What type of battle do you run in it?

Thanks, MilitaryRcDude

It's a Warn, wireless remote model from RC4WD with their aluminum fairlead and 250lb winch rope (yellow) from lockeduprc, powered right out of the y-harness.
    I just run 2 nimh packs, one is a Traxxas 1500 and a Venom 1600. With the gearing, it's got tons of extra torque and I get an hour or more on a charge.
    Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 03-29-2015 at 07:10 PM.

RC poster
    You were not kidding "doc" . What a build. Its amazing to say the least. I really had no idea how scale you could get this rig looking. SICK SICK SICK. Keep it up! I wanna see video of this thing on the rocks..

Thanks for the "thumbs". It's a work of love, and I'm always watching for other goodies for it (or my others )

I finally got a short vid' to load on photobucket, I'll try to get a link up.

If this link works ..... here's a short vid' on the rocks

http://vid1315.photobucket.com/album...psticluevl.mp4

I wanted to add a bed-mounted spare, but ... the truck hardly has any bed, so I got out the ol' choppin' block and came up with this ...

I took an old wheel to the table-saw and took the scissors and a razor-blade to a tire. Then soldered a brass nut and washer together, added a couple of handles to the "spinner" made of 12G house wire and cut the cone off of a faucet washer for the hold-down assembly. I cut a "hole" for the bed cover from a piece of thin cardboard (cereal box ), a little black lacquer and ready to glue together.

The cut tire isn't much taller than a regular tire laid flat and covers less floor.

I like the "in-the-bed" look (I'm making new fender-wells) and it covers the rear body mounts nicely.

What do you guys think?

Traxxas Marshal
    The bed-mounted spare is a nice touch!
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Well, I've been choppin' and stitchin' again. I wanted to add some detail to the bed, to go with the new spare-tire, so I decided to work up a bed-box and hatches/covers for the tire/storage area. I got out the HR scale diamond plate and mocked-up the parts in thin cardboard (more cereal box ).

I stacked 2 more layers of c-board with a layer of 1/4in plywood, to "fill" to the top of the bed, and painted the stacks black to give it clean "darkness" in the gaps. The HR tread-plate bends easily,(I already covered the running-boards with it) so I glued the trimmed cardboard patterns to the back and it bent around the edges. It forms pretty nicely, but it's easy to ding.

I made handles (upholstery staples) and lock cylinders (small nails, cut-off) and hinges (scored rings on some 14G house-wire)and with a bit of paint the parts were ready. I glued "rare-earth " (NdFeB) magnets into the spare and under the toolbox lid, then glued some to the underside of the body to hold the assemblies in place. (got the idea from RC Heli's)
    Also finished the new fender-wells (cut the bottoms from small cream cheese containers), they cover the "see-thru" look under the body, and make the bed look deeper.

Here's a shot to show the "lids" in action, but I glued 'em down, so they DON'T actually open.

I made the bed-box and the tire/storage in separate sections so that the body pins are easy access, and I can run without the tire and still have the toolbox.

And when it's all assembled, it looks like the tire is IN the bed.

Here's a shot during the "bounce-around" test on the rock pile.

Couldn't shake it out (even passed the roll-over test)

Really awesome build! Lots of care and detail into it, and the video shows it really does climb like a goat!
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

Added some new details, fire ext., new tires.

Made some metal straps, to hold the extinguisher to the rollbar, from some old pickup shoes from an HO slot-car. The slots in the ends made nice little buckles, they actually clip around the bar and tank.

Detailed out a cheap fire extinguisher that I got on eBay for $2.99 (free ship). Painted the gauge, added a label and voila.

New tires are "44s" (12th scale = 96mm), old were "42s" so I gave in and trimmed the corners of the fenders with a moto-tool. Amazing how much difference 2 or 3 "inches" makes in the wheel openings. LOVE the new tread, she crawls the rocks better than ever.

Fairly long-legged for a 1/12th (1'16th ??) truck.

RC Qualifier
    Looks awesome!
    Bashing Slash ultimate, 2 minis, and 5B

Dyed the chassis and rockers black, added bearings to the rockers. I didn't feel like tearing down the servos, so I painted them for now.

I like the black chassis look.

I took Punky and the gopro down to the rock-pile today. here are a couple of short vid's.

... and the other side of the "hill" ...

Did a little crawlin' close to sunset with the lights on.

Took Pumkinstein down to the rock-pile today to play a little with the winch.

Did a bit of climbin' on the steeper sections...

with a little assist from Warn.

I got one of the new High-Lift jacks from rc4wd. Way Cool.

Now I need to mount it somewhere....

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    danggg, that is reallu scale. i showed it to my dad and he thought it was real!
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

I humbly thank you and your dad. It might win a scale point or two, but I'm not dusting any trophy shelves.
    And hey, it IS real.... just small

Got a hitch mounted to Punkinstein, need a way to pull my boat.

Should make a nice "drag-along".

More on the boat in my "VXL and Friends" thread, below.

Nice!!! I've been following the build. Looks great man!!! Ohh and what brand is the Hitch? Is it custom?
    Last edited by MilitaryRcDude; 10-03-2015 at 06:35 PM. Reason: Misspelled words
    Thanks, MilitaryRcDude

Thanks 'Dude, it's a Gear Head receiver with a RC Rock Armor drop-hitch. I picked the simple receiver since I already had the T-plate mounted to the skid for tow-shackles (the tri-holes are for a pintle-hook style hitch). Also pic'd is a helper spring that I made to hold up the tail when towing the boat.

I ran a couple of screws thru the body-mount to make studs to hold the spring, and made it hook into the socket-heads in the upper arms. I can snap it right in or out, even with the body on, so I can keep the suspension "crawler-soft" but keep the hitch from draggin' when trailerin'.

The trailer pulls like silk and with the helper-spring in, the truck stands tall even after bumps and stops.

Now back to the trailer. I got some fenders made, now I gotta get steps and lights, then get it all painted and detailed-out the rest of the way.

(there's more info about the boat and trailer in the "...VXL and Friends..." thread below)
    Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 10-04-2015 at 12:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Picked up one of RC4WD's new Warn "mini" winches. Same motor and gearbox as the bigger version, supposed to be same strength, just down-sized.

Came with only about 4 ft. of line and won't hold quite as much as big-brother (about 2-1/2 ft. less of 200-lb. line).
    Has about 8 ft. on it now. I think it fits the truck better.

Wow. Totally awesome build man!
    What broke, uh, needs upgrading now?

Thanks, I've been givin' most of the love to the boat trailer, but I'm trying to give Punky some attention too. I got a plug wired-in and mounted under the bumper too, so I can hook up the trailer (now that it's done) and light it up.

My camera batteries died, but I'll get more pic's soon.

I've got a couple more things for the truck, and a brushless, water-cooled set-up for the boat so the "laboratory" will be sparkin'.

I worked up a set of rock-sliders for Pumkinstein. It already has a few dings in the running-boards, but hey, "better late than never" my dad used to say.

I cut down a stock pair for a TF2, chopped out 1 ladder section and cut off the mounts.

Trimmed the ends for tire clearance, primed and smoothed the epoxy "welds" and then shot 'em flat black again.

Drilled the battery doors and hung them on the sides.

They fit pretty well and wrap under the steps nicely. Should cut down on damage a bit.

Last edited by dr frankenstyle; 11-19-2015 at 02:20 PM. Reason: missed detail

Well, I finally decided where to mount my High-Lift jack.

I made a bracket and spinner for the upright, and (JB) welded a pin into the front roll-bar to slip thru a hole in the jack's base.

Holds it nice and solid, and I can pull the spare without moving it.

RC Racer
    Great build, I really like all the detail on the bed storage system, looks awesome.

RC Enthusiast
    Great stuff! Love the creativity. So I take it you don't do a lot of fast running with this truck?

Thanks, thetech, yeah I kinda went a little crazy with the tread-plate, but I'm happy with how it's turned out so far.
    and Thanks, HeeelMooi, it's not your average little Summit. LOL top speed will make you say "he77 with it!" and just pick it up and carry it. but it's lots more fun on the rock-pile.

We got a little bit of snow, so I got the little Summit out to play in it before it melted.

Jack Rabbid is the King of the Mountain!

Just follow the tire marks and broken parts.
    Awesome build man keep it up, I would paint the hood seam chrome and put some old tome logos on the doors to give it an extra touch.
    RC is an addiction just don't make me go to rehab

Thank You, it seems like I never get finished with this one.
    I've thought about a door logo, but I can never decide on just what to put on 'em.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast