RC Enthusiast

"Normal" amount of front end play

Having a bear of a time getting my truck to stay straight. I've been researching, checking a few things off my findings and still no luck.

Is the amount of play between the steering and castor blocks in the video below normal (best I could do on the video, only had 1 set of hands available)? All applicable hardware is properly tightened.

Still have to check the bearings, but want to address the amount of steering/castor block play first.
    Last edited by trudnick; 03-24-2015 at 10:07 PM.
    ET-3S, ET-2400, MIP X-Duty, Tekno BB, XO-1 r diff

I don't have quite that much play but I'm not too far away from that. These trucks don't track all that straight in my experience.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Racer
    You need to do the bearing mod on the castor block and e-maxx pin mod.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Penduko View Post
    You need to do the bearing mod on the castor block and e-maxx pin mod.
    Do you have links to the mods you are talking about? I am not mad if I can stiffen up my front end. The STRC steering bell cranks made a huge difference!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    ^ Yup. Do what he did in these 2 threads. It makes a VERY noticeable difference.

The over sized tire makes it look far worse but they all have some play.
    I just looked at mine with 2.8's an its not as bad but not far off.
    You can shim and make all kinds of adjustments and they will make improvements, you might even get 50% of the play out, but at the end of the day it a toy, its never going to be perfect.
    Then all the things you do to tighten things up will last about 4 packs and your back to square one.
    Take the 2.8 off and put on a stock tire and rim, sure it will move but nowhere near as much.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the input everyone. I normally run my 2.2 Trenchers (very similar performance as to the driving line), but we had a late season snow storm so the 2.8's went back on. I'll look at the upgrades everyone suggested. Not trying to go as straight as an arrow, it just seems that after 20-25 yards I'm about 3-4 feet off my initial starting line.

Appreciate the help everyone!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Do you have links to the mods you are talking about? I am not mad if I can stiffen up my front end. The STRC steering bell cranks made a huge difference!
    The only c-block bearing mod I've found is this for the XO-1 (unfortunately I can't see the pics):
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...4-My-XO-1-mods

I have done the E-Maxx pins, the teflon washer on the top shoulder screw and installed the STRC bellcranks. Together they all help quite a bit. Most of the remaining slop now comes from the small linkage connecting the bellcrank and servo saver, and from the hollow balls in the rod ends.

RC Racer
    Here's the thread on how to do the c-hub bearing mod

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...963-My-new-toy

RC Enthusiast
    Installed the washer and so far it looks good. E Maxx outer pins ordered.

Wish I could have taken it out after the washer addition but I lost a MIP X-Duty cross pin in the rear this morning, grub screw was still in place, the cross pin must have worn somehow and slipped out. Not real happy about that, plan on calling MIP tomorrow.

Thanks again for everyone's input.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    For the MIP cross pin. Just grab a 3/32" drill dit and cut the end off of it with a Dremel. It is exactly the same size.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    For the MIP cross pin. Just grab a 3/32" drill dit and cut the end off of it with a Dremel. It is exactly the same size.

Unbelievable and awesome. Just saw your post, grabbed a 3/32" drill bit, broke out the Dremel and 3 minutes later I am back in business. Can't thank you enough, next time I am in the Motor City I'll buy you a beer.
    Last edited by trudnick; 03-26-2015 at 12:16 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by trudnick View Post
    Unbelievable and awesome. Just saw your post, grabbed a 3/32" drill bit, broke out the Dremel and 3 minutes later I am back in business. Can't thank you enough, next time I am in the Motor City I'll buy you a beer.
    LOL. No problem. Glad I could help.

RC Enthusiast
    Just took it out for a spin with just the washer upgrade and what a difference, so much better. Night and day from before.

Thank you again everyone for your help.

Cheers!