RC poster

Help with Rustler VXL Lipo selection and charger?

Ok, so I just purchased a new Rustler VXL and need some assistance with which lipo battery and charger selection. I am going to roll with a lipo battery here very soon and need some advice. I would like to ask about what lipos to use for good run times and what to expect from 2s/3s overheating ect ect. I did read the TRAXXAS -2843X-7-4V-2S-5800mAh-LiPo was a good battery to use. I want. Lipo that I can have good run times at the beach or at a track bashing, speed of course and what battery charger ??? Any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks Brian

RC Competitor
    Most of the time, 5000 MAHs will last you at least 20-25 minutes(Referring with 4WD stuff. You might have more with your 2wd). 2s will be fine. 3s will cause you some problems such as overheating your motor/ esc and possibly breaking your rc. Since rustys are 2wd, the overheating effect will be less dramatic than the 4wd ones. I guess if you want 3s, some fans for your motor and your esc and you'll be good to go.

Looking at your post, I think you want 3s since 3s will give many speed and a lot of happy power. Also, you have the option to get to 50% to have more control and more runtime, where as the 2s, you'll be stuck with the full power. Just a reminder before you pull the trigger, most tracks limit to 2s lipos and you won't have control on the jumps and the turns since 3s has a ton amount of power. 2s is also much more sensible. (2s is very similar to your 8.4v stock batteries.)

Going into the mechanical stuff. You'll be fine with 3s when you don't CRASH, full throttle at STARTS (Or loosing up your slipper), or drive like you're in cartoon. Most people forget these things and eventually wreck their rcs. Just be careful and sensible and you will be fine.

Lipos. Most people will say SPC. Just choose what ever you think it's the best that fits you. (The C ratings won't matter since you won't have that a large amount of load . Above 25c will be fine).

Chargers. You can go up to a 200+ or a cheap lipo charger, just make sure that the chargers have a storage charge, discharging modes as they are one of the most important jobs for a lipo charger. (A good example for the charger to NOT buy is the TRX 2935). Buy a charger that fits your needs. Not always more=better. Good charger+Good lipo=Happy times.

RC poster
    Ok, yea I think Im looking for a 2s Lipo for sure and possible a 3s down the road. New hobby for me so it is all new to me.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    To start, go with 2s... It's way more reasonable and many who have run both 2 and 3s end up sticking with 2s because mor sis just overkill. I personally like being able to run full throttle without worrying about braking stuff all the time.
    Look at SPC lipos... Hands down best Lipo for the money.
    If your going to buy a Lipo charger I aways suggest spending as much as you can afford. A good Lipo charger that will last you a long time is worth the investment. I suggest tying to budget $100 for the charger. There are a few good options in that price range

RC poster
    What are the Chargers that are good for around $100?
    I ran the rustler vXl yesterday for the first time. Was pretty fun going 35mph across the football field haha

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Dynamite passport ultra, thunder power TP610C... Hyperion makes a good one too.