RC poster

Exclamation Hybrid Powered Slash

Hi guys, I often get bored and think of ways to create over the top rc cars and my newest idea is a dual powered slash 4x4 I'm not sure weather to post this to the slayer pro thread or here I posted it here hoping to get more views, anyway what I want to do is combine the power of the 3.3 engine with 2 speed transmission and a brushless motor by having the power sent to 1 flywheel connecting it to a solid rear axle and the front diff. I'm wondering if it's actually possible now, the more I think about it the more I want to actually try to build it!

Do you mean a slayer with an electric conversion?
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC poster
    No I mean a slayer with an electric motor and the nitro engine

He is taking about a nitro engine running a small generator, and the generator feeding an electric motor. It has been done, basically the only thing you lose is the batteries you'd have in an electric RC. You'll add that weight back in for the generator, plus you'll need to throw on there a high amp regulator to feed the ESC.

They are cool projects to see, but have very limited practicality.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC poster
    That's not really what I'm talking about either what I'm talking about is a nitro engine and a electric motor hooked up to a differential putting power to one place then that linked to the transmission. Basically both motors putting power to the wheels similar to a dual electric motor setup but one electric one nitro

but that generator idea sounds cool too I'll have to look into that

RC Qualifier
    Just a thought, but with the amount of weight you will add it's not gonna be very feasible for more than slow cruising. Might be better suited for a 5th scale
    Who needs brakes!!!!

If you have the parts to do it, put it together and show us all how it's done! Take plenty of pictures and videos of course!
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    It sounds cool, in theory, but I think it would end up just being a money pit and would actually perform worse than just a good brushless system on 3s or 4s.

Wow. So I'm bored at work and I Googled "hybrid r/c car". I was very surprised. It's been done a lot.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 03-28-2015 at 05:44 PM. Reason: merge