Thread: Scratch build

Scratch build

So my 4 year old daughter wants a grave digger. Well they don't make them, so, I will just have to do it myself.
    Here is what I have so far. Most of the parts to follow will be green. I have a lot of rpm parts, and I am gonna dye some white wheels green. I will post more pics when the rest of my parts show up.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice! love scratch builds!

I'll be the first to admit, the hardest part of your build will be getting a grave digger body...FOR CHEAP
    We are all one race. The human race.

Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    I'll be the first to admit, the hardest part of your build will be getting a grave digger body...FOR CHEAP
    Not really Grave Digger body's are out there, just not the Traxxas Monster Jam ones.
    This one shown on a TMaxx but I have used it on my Pede. If a pic is needed I can do....
    http://parmapse.shptron.com/p/1-10-g...k-bodies?pp=25
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    Not really Grave Digger body's are out there, just not the Traxxas Monster Jam ones.
    This one shown on a TMaxx but I have used it on my Pede. If a pic is needed I can do....
    http://parmapse.shptron.com/p/1-10-g...k-bodies?pp=25
    Ok. Well I assuming he was looking for a Monster Jam body but yea the parma decals will do.

I will use the parma body. The traxxas moster jam grave digger body, is going for $150 on ebay. I was hoping my other parts was gonna show up today, no luck, probably monday.

Yeah the rest of my parts showed up

Got this far tonight. Still need a few other little parts

Dyed my wheels today, not perfect, but pretty darn close. Just need tires, body, and esc plate and thing is ready to rip

Its great to do build from scratch eh.
    Looks like its coming along well, looks that dye went allright, what were the colour of the wheels before the job. duh , as you mentioned white (thanks JerrysMaxx for pointing that out ehehheh+
    Last edited by Jezza; 03-31-2015 at 06:56 PM.
    Live life to the fullest

Come on Jezz, look at the parts pic
    Looks good westoak any green aluminum such as c-blocks or more. I am doing the Bandit green that was featured up top on the home page. ALL GREEN!
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    do they make the new compensating front arms in green? that would set it over the top, especially for a kid.... my wide mod was night and day difference in the handling

also, I think you should dye all the grey to black
    Last edited by jimbo74; 03-31-2015 at 07:11 PM.

No aluminum parts on this one. I am not a big fan of aluminum parts. I do however like rpm. This has everything rpm It can except the hybrid trans case.
    The grey to black would be pretty sweet, but I doubt I will tear in down to do it. Those shock bodies would be awesome in black with the green springs.
    I know these arms on the front were about 1/4 inch longer than the nitro rustler arms. but the rear ones were pretty wide.
    I used jato screw shafts, with big rpm ends, and hollow balls. I think in the end it will pretty nice, and my daughter is very excited, she wanted to drive it tonight. I bet it is running this wheekend, with a difterent body, and wheels and tires, until I get the ones I need to finish.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    the stampy really needs aluminum C blocks

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Nice build up man. Always nice to put extra parts to good use. Funny how a "spare parts truck" can often end up costing more than a new truck once your done building it just the way you want though eh. Lol

I think for a kid, just getting started, a brushed stampede in its stock dimensions (arms and such) is a pretty good learning tool. They have to learn to drive well so its not flipping over all the time. Then, when they get on a vehicle that does stay flatter, they an even better driver. Plus, hard to beat a stock size stampede when it comes to plan old fun right.

Yeah she won't stay brushed for long, she has had two rc cars since she was two. It is kinda funny, she is pretty close to catching my twelve year old son in ability. He plays, but for the most part would rather spend time on his computer. My daughter has picked all of the parts herself, except motor, and esc. She helped dye the wheels, and has helped with the construction from the start. It has been a fun project. She told me tonight that she wants the next one to be pink. I guess I will have to send rpm and email, and see if they can start making pink parts. lol.

Cost wise on this one, it will not be to bad. You have to consider all of the rpm parts, if I bought a new truck, and then bought all of the rpm parts to put on it, it would for sure be pretty high. I have a box full of brushed motors, and esc's. I even still have a pretty good selection of mechanical speed controls. So I did not have to buy motor, esc, reciever, transmitter. Not to shabby.

Got the digger all done. Those decals are a royal pain. Got some wrinkles in the flames. I still have to do final trim on the body. All in all it Will work good for a four year olds basher

Great job! I know what you mean about the decals, they are very delicate. I have done 3 Digger bodies in the past on 3 different scales.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Nice job indeed! More pics under the hood

any chance of a black chassis?

Quote Originally Posted by westoakmech View Post
    Yeah she won't stay brushed for long, she has had two rc cars since she was two. It is kinda funny, she is pretty close to catching my twelve year old son in ability. He plays, but for the most part would rather spend time on his computer. My daughter has picked all of the parts herself, except motor, and esc. She helped dye the wheels, and has helped with the construction from the start. It has been a fun project. She told me tonight that she wants the next one to be pink. I guess I will have to send rpm and email, and see if they can start making pink parts. lol.

Cost wise on this one, it will not be to bad. You have to consider all of the rpm parts, if I bought a new truck, and then bought all of the rpm parts to put on it, it would for sure be pretty high. I have a box full of brushed motors, and esc's. I even still have a pretty good selection of mechanical speed controls. So I did not have to buy motor, esc, reciever, transmitter. Not to shabby.
    I'm curious as to what you would estimate the cost of the build is? Just in round numbers. My son has a small crack in his p2de chassis and when it finally breaks I am thinking about doing my first build. That would probably be to a p4de but just looking to ballpark it.
    Nice looking truck, by the way! Need to get my daughter into this hobby!

I am in $250 range, but I had the motor, esc, and radio. The rpm parts are about half again higher than stock. So that adds some cost, but on brushed this thing will be bullett proof. You would be in the $300 range if you had to buy the motor, esc, and radio. But as I said, everything that can be rpm , is rpm

I'd say it came out great. I really like the look of that body. I may have to get one of those to paint up custom. Nice Job! What esc and motor did you end up using?
    R/C Sith Lord

Not sure what the motor is, it is an unmarked brushed that I had in my box of parts. The esc came off from a red cat of my sons. It was new, and had never been ran. I have a brushless set up ready for it. I just want to let her get used to the truck itself first, then I will install the brushless. It is a neewer combo that I got off from amazon, its a 3983 kv motor, with a 60 amp esc. It looks like a hobbywing knock off, comes with a program card. I have used two of them on other builds, and they have been great, have had no problems. The decals on this was kind of a pain, the sides were not to bad, but the flames, wow, but she is happy. We had to haul it in the pickup to school with us yesterday. She did inform me that her next one has to be pink. I was like wow, almost five, just finished this one, and already looking forward to the next one. I may have created a monster, or a mini me.

Ha, thats cool! I am building a slash 4x4 for my daughters 11th birthday coming up. My 8 y/o son who has been driving the 2wd drive wants a slash 4x4 as well. He has enough money if I can find the right deal.

You said you have tried 2 of the 60A Neewer esc's? How long have you had them? I was looking at those as a budget esc to try out. I have a 3800kv Neewer motor that is holding up well so far.
    R/C Sith Lord

I have ran two of them for around nine months. I have had no problems with them, for a sub fifty dollar combo, can't complain about that. The motors are very strong to.