RC poster

Latrax Alias better batteries??

Hey there just got a latrax alias quadcopter and was looking online and they seem to make a lot of replacement parts, but I was wondering if there is a better battery I could buy rather than just getting a whole bunch of the stock ones?? Can someone please help me out.

RC Qualifier
    there really are not very many options out there. the stock batteries hold up extremely well and are very affordable. I have always got good flight times out of mine and after over a year... they are still going strong. I also have a few of the Lectron 700mah batteries that I also like a lot, but I honestly don't see much difference between them and the stock batteries. a quick search under the Alias on ebay will bring up a number of sellers who have those. prices vary, but there are some good deals if you look them over carefully .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC Qualifier
    Could we just buy loose single cell lipos with higher mah ratings and solder on plugs? I would think if we got some cells that were close in dimensions and no more than 900 to 1000 Mah to get a little more time out of it, it could work. I think heat might become an issue with higher mah though. I was looking for other batteries and came across single cells that were 800 and up Mah and thought of this. I don't know if it's possible with them or if plugs are available, but it's a thought if no ones tried.
    Its now or never

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sloshedmr_bones View Post
    Could we just buy loose single cell lipos with higher mah ratings and solder on plugs? I would think if we got some cells that were close in dimensions and no more than 900 to 1000 Mah to get a little more time out of it, it could work. I think heat might become an issue with higher mah though. I was looking for other batteries and came across single cells that were 800 and up Mah and thought of this. I don't know if it's possible with them or if plugs are available, but it's a thought if no ones tried.
    I suppose you could as long as you stayed within the 3.7 voltage requirement. the amount of mah's wont affect the electronic in any way that would be significant. it is the voltage that you have to maintain. there would be some restrictions as to what you could fit in the Alias, and weight would be a factor as well, but within reason, sure, I don't see why you couldn't? the issue with the Alias wont be gaining flight time by increasing the amount of mah's... it is the built in LVC cutoff that will be the issue where flight times are concerned. many (me included) have seen as little as 60% of their batteries mah base used due to the point in which the LVC kicks in. the harder you fly, the sooner it kicks in. in my case, the LVC is no longer an issue as I had my boards modified by Megsmicros to disable that feature and I can now fly my batteries to their full potential of about 80% use of mah's and I time my flights now to 6 minutes which gives me an additional 1-2 minutes of time for return/ landing.

the truth is that the stock batteries are very good, excellent actually, and they last a long time when maintained properly. I also have the lectrons and they are just as good but I didn't see any improvement in flight time when I flew them with unmodified boards... it was the LVC that determined that, and unless you modify your boards, there is no way of getting around that .

RC Racer
    You can make a series jst plug but I don't know where you would put the 2nd battery, I guess if you don't mind strapping it on top of the canopy. As mentioned though, weight plays big role with this light quads. I myself don't mind having extra stock batteries and swap them as the battery goes low. Get yourself a alarm clock or some type of devise and set the flying time so when the alarm beeps, time to bring it down.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Penduko View Post
    You can make a series jst plug but I don't know where you would put the 2nd battery, I guess if you don't mind strapping it on top of the canopy. As mentioned though, weight plays big role with this light quads. I myself don't mind having extra stock batteries and swap them as the battery goes low. Get yourself a alarm clock or some type of devise and set the flying time so when the alarm beeps, time to bring it down.
    You mean a parallel plug, correct? If you hook two batteries up in series, the voltage is combined and you would end up with 7.4v, which would fry the board. Or do I have this wrong???

The few people who did this just put it under the installed battery outside the lower frame held on with a rubber band, if I remember right?

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by spoonerrw View Post
    You mean a parallel plug, correct? If you hook two batteries up in series, the voltage is combined and you would end up with 7.4v, which would fry the board. Or do I have this wrong???

The few people who did this just put it under the installed battery outside the lower frame held on with a rubber band, if I remember right?
    Oppss, I meant parallel connector so you have double mah battery are so thin that the quad should have no problem flying

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Penduko View Post
    Oppss, I meant parallel connector so you have double mah battery are so thin that the quad should have no problem flying
    Lol... Had me worried there for a minute with my parallel charging .

The couple people who tried this reported no issue with the quad lifting two batteries but the concern ended up being how the additional weight would affect the longevity of the tiny brushed motors? With the board mod made to mine by Megas... 6 minutes is plenty for me personally and extra batteries is not an issue. You would never get the Alias LVC to fly for long enough to give you the full use of mah that two batteries in parallel would offer. You are lucky to get 60% or better as it is before it goes off, sadly. .
    Not many people check this. I would be very curious to hear from others what kind of mah use they get?
    Last edited by spoonerrw; 06-17-2015 at 06:43 PM.

The board mod does help significantly. I probably gained 2 or 3 minutes by soldering a couple 402k ohm resistors on.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Qualifier
    I would be interested in doing the lvc mod, however, my soldering skills don't allow for this, which is disappointing for me as I want to build a quad eventually with FPV. I have so many things I would like to do already and I have only flown my alias 3 times since I got it on Thursday. I have been trying to do my research for the time being.
    Its now or never

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sloshedmr_bones View Post
    I would be interested in doing the lvc mod, however, my soldering skills don't allow for this, which is disappointing for me as I want to build a quad eventually with FPV. I have so many things I would like to do already and I have only flown my alias 3 times since I got it on Thursday. I have been trying to do my research for the time being.
    I hear ya on the micro soldering . it was very difficult for me to do my first one and luckily I did it without damaging the board. I decided I wasn't cut out for that small scale type of soldering, so sent mine off to Megasmicros and had Rudy do three boards for me. if you don't mind a small charge, I think he decided on $15 per board and he doesn't solder in an extra resistor... he takes the one responsible out and replaces it with a direct replacement smaller kohm one. you cant even tell it was ever modified .
    you can contact him at megasmicros@gmail.com if you think you would rather go that route? what he did for me was to put in a low enough kohm resistor that the LVC would never trigger before the battery voltage depleted, so you have to time your flights based on voltage use/time in flight. this also helps balance out the use of voltage/Milliamps. he can also lower the LVC trigger point by using a different size ohm resistor allowing it to still work but at a lower trigger point, so you would need to decide how you want it to work, and let him know.

RC Enthusiast
    Guys I have some SJ18650 3.7v 6000mah li-ion batteries even though they weigh 33gr as opposed to 25gr approx over standard could they be used in the alias? They are the right voltage after all.

RC Qualifier
    If the dimensions are the same and it will fit in the battery tray, but I doubt that it will fit being a 6000 mah. Are you sure its 6000mah, not 600mah as that seems awfully high for a small battery? I have looked for batteries that could possibly work and the highest I found was 1200mah or 1500mah but the dimensions are off so it wouldn't fit. If it is the same voltage and has the correct plug it will work, just 6000mah for that might burn up the motors. You just may have to mount the battery on top of the canopy. 5000mah in my stampede running brushless doing wheelies gave me run times of about 35 minuntes.

I just reread your post and its a battery of differenct composition so I would not risk that.
    Last edited by sloshedmr_bones; 07-22-2015 at 05:22 PM.
    Its now or never

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the feedback it is a round [larger than] AA type battery used in LED torches. Curious why li-ion would be an issue over li-po. I know nothing useful about battery composition so was just assuming 3.7v was the important point. Maybe the rate of discharge is the thing? Or running the motors for too long without a break may overheat them?
    Thanks though

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by roscored View Post
    Thanks for the feedback it is a round [larger than] AA type battery used in LED torches. Curious why li-ion would be an issue over li-po. I know nothing useful about battery composition so was just assuming 3.7v was the important point. Maybe the rate of discharge is the thing? Or running the motors for too long without a break may overheat them?
    Thanks though
    While they both may show 3.7v, batteries of different compositions tend to hold have different voltages. I know AA batteries are 1.5v, however, I have had rechargeable AA batteries only be 1.2v or 1.3v. The discharge rate for a li-ion battery is actually less than that of a lipo battery for good reason. Li-ion batteries cant provide the current like a lipo can,however, a li-ion is safer than a lipo. This is why li-ion batteries are used in cell phones, flashlight, cameras and things of that nature because you dont need/want them to discharge quickly under heavy use. Lipo's we want that burst in our RC products because its like nitrous. Li-ion batteries supposedly have a better life span than that of a lipo, but I tend to disagree there. So more than likely the battery may not even be able to power the alias and if it could it probably wouldn't last long. Not to mention it would drain the battery to absolute death. I am sure if my information is incorrect someone will jump on me and tell me I am giving wrong info, but this is what I learned from research over the years, been told on some of it and personally dealt with. Hope this helps some.
    Its now or never

RC Enthusiast
    All good information, I will test the output and see what happens. I assume that the li-pos actually provide 3.7v and not something lower 3.2 or 3.5 etc? I was just curious thanks

RC Enthusiast
    Li-On cant discharge at a high enough rate to be useful for our applications. They just cant dump the current like a LiPo can.