RC Champion

Go Pro - which one?

Hey guys. So I'm planning to get a go pro soon but have no idea which one to get. I know they can all be mounted on an RC or other things. But I need to know why I'm paying twice as much for a hero4 then a hero3. I'm thinking Im choosing from the hero3+ white. Hero3+ silver or the hero4. Which one would be best for the dollar?
    Slash 4x4 built w/ RC4WD PRL RPM STRC TRX and MIP

RC Champion
    I have the hero 3 black and i like it.

RC Racer
    I got a Hero 3+ silver and really like it too. Being less expensive is nice, wont feel so bad when that huge jump goes wrong with it on top either.
    Need more parts.

RC poster
    The hero4.. Free remote control app and live action mode displayed on your phone. It's pretty cool!

RC Racer
    The silver 3+'s do that as well. Great for making sure the cameras pointed right...
    Need more parts.

RC Qualifier
    The difference as far as i can find is between firstly Frame Rates and Resolution combinations. Hero 4 black can do max-120fps on 1080p which is the max res you can get at that frame rate, where as the res drops to max 720p for 100fps max for the Hero 4 silver. The black can also do 60fps even at 2.7k res.
    Then your Hero 3+ Silver can do 1080p but only at 60fps, and it gets lower as u reduce your costs for cheaper cameras.
    Hero 4 Black will even do a 4k res on 30fps. Where as hero 3+ highest res anyway is 1080p.
    Then you get the single shot photo which on the Hero 4's is 12megapixel. Hero 3+ is only a 10mp.
    From what i can see you are paying for more and higher Res/FPS combinations plus other features like remote features etc. Just compare specs on the GoPro website.

I have a Hero 4 Black because i wanted the highest frame rate i could get. Slow motion always looks better + you get it in 1080p res. But you don;t get the live view screen on the Black but you do on the silver so its just a mix and match of different features and groups between cams in the same number series but differences between 3+'s and 4's is quite significant. Simply, the hero 4 black can do twice as much stuff with better res and frame rates than the hero 3+ silver so you pay double the price.
    What do you want to do with it really should be the question. Good slow mo's require a good FPS rate. If thats not you choice than normal recording at 60 FPS is great and you can do that at 1080p on the Hero 3+ silver.

Anyway if i don't stop here i will end up explaining the everything about every GoPro. So i would say take a look at the specs on the GoPro website and also let us know what you are wanting to do with it. Fast Action, slow mo, slow moving high res stuff. etc!!
    Hope that helps and sorry for the lecture
    Last edited by danielhawkins; 03-30-2015 at 07:38 AM.
    Summit; Spartan; Others yet to come

RC Champion
    That was all too info! Thank you! I want one for my RCs and just other random stuff. Like hikes, mountain biking, and car filming. Slow mo is something nice but not needed. I think the hero3+ silver or black is what I want. Just need to decide if the $50 is worth it for the black.
    Slash 4x4 built w/ RC4WD PRL RPM STRC TRX and MIP

RC Enthusiast
    Hero 3 Black - loving it!!!

RC Qualifier
    Yup that sounds like the one that would suit your needs. And definitely spend the extra 50 and get Black.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Weve used them all and are currently running a fleet of Hero4 blacks. We shoot everything at a minimum of 1080 and the hero 4 can do 24fps... which is what we shoot all our footage at. Its a great camera but its VERY pricy for the average person. Unless you planning to broadcast your footage... the Hero 3 is more than enough. The 4 is a bit lighter and the the menus are better/easier to navigate. But many of the features are targeted more at the professional VS the recreational user. Which is why its so much more expensive.

720HD at 60fps is still really nice for personal viewing and youtube. Take the money you save and pick up a few extra batteries. The battery life is terrible on all of them... but its REALLY bad on the 4.

RC Qualifier
    I got the 4 black and I love it. But the the 3+ black edition is still a good choice. You aren't likely going to use 4k for rc stuff but it still it pretty nice to have as a future proof. Regardless any go pro product is top notch.
    summit and e-revo sv2 5700, BL p2ede

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by danielhawkins View Post
    Yup that sounds like the one that would suit your needs. And definitely spend the extra 50 and get Black.
    +1 to what he said

RC Enthusiast
    Anyone using the GoPro know of an RC mount for the GP? Is there a designated mount or are most people just "rigging" a camera mount?

RC Qualifier
    GoPro doesn't make a a mount themselves from what i have seen for RC's. May be aftermarket go pro RC mounts out there but i haven;t seen anything dedicated to it. I just either use sticky mounts or something that wraps around the chassis, or you can build a mount inside or something and cut a hole in the windscreen for a more real view.

RC poster
    If you haven't already, check out the ReplayXD Prime X camera. I have one and love it! Gonna play around with mounting it on one of the r/c cars soon. But I have been using on my real car for a few months now, and I will never go back to GoPro.