RC Champion

12T titan or 20T stinger

My Titan 12T died with minimal usage. I have another Titan 12T and a 20T Stinger.
    I am running XL5 with 2S. Stock gearing and really tall tires (Tamiya Juggernauts)
    Which motor is a better replacement choice?
    Thanks

RC Qualifier
    I would choose the 12T. Make sure you break it in and keep the temperature below 160. The 12T is a stronger motor.
    Your gearing may be to high with the big tires. Don

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    you definitely should re-gear, probably what caused the pre-mature death of your motor

RC Champion
    I have 85 spur, what pinion will you run? Titan 12T or Stinger 20T?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    try 16/90 gearing.
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Champion
    Which motor will you run?

RC Champion
    I put the 20T stinger on the truck and went for a few blasts up and down the street. Motor is a 201F and I can smell the laquer on the winding melting.
    What is a good brushed motor for XL5 and 2S.
    I have a brushless set up but I can't drive it.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by blown68ssrs View Post
    I have a brushless set up but I can't drive it.
    Just curious, but why can't you use your brushless setup? If you could go brushless it'd probably be the last motor you ever need to buy for your Stampede.

RC Champion
    With the brushless, I can't drive fast enough to get to the LHS for replacement parts. It killed 3 juggernuat wheels already. Plus, I hate running to flip it back on it's wheels. Brushed with 2S is more enjoyable.

RC Qualifier
    get the electrifly s600. Its a 19t 550. It is a good brushed motor. gear it at 19/86 or maybe a 16/90 since you have bigger tires. You will need to solder the wire leads and capacitor on and file a flat spot on the shaft. It would be nice if the shaft was a little longer but you can get the pinion on.

Gearing on the titan 12t. It can handle 16/90 with talons. So your bigger heavier tires. You would need to gear it down more. Robinson Racing make some smaller pinion. I think down to a 12 tooth.

The 20t stinger. Its a 540 the general rule for a starting point would be 2 teeth lower then number of turns. 18/90 or 18/86. And adjust from there. The pinion gear has a bigger effect on heat and things compared to the spur gear.

Last edited by mes882; 03-30-2015 at 08:40 PM.

RC Champion
    I have 18/90 for gearing. Thanks for the tip.

RC Qualifier
    Here is another motor that I have been curious about but have not tried one. If you try one report back. They are about 13 on ebay. The electrifly is about 18

http://www.redcatracing.com/s.nl/it.A/id.4173/.f
    Last edited by mes882; 03-30-2015 at 08:47 PM.

RC Champion
    Just went out and tried the other Titan 12T that I have. Seems like it will last for another day.
    I broke this one in water. Don't know if that made a difference.

RC Champion
    Anyone knows offhand what is the smallest pinion I can use. I have a 90t spur with the RPM motor mount.

RC Champion
    Got a 13T pinion. Seems to work OK. Motor didn't even get warm.
    It carries the front tires off the hole like a Prostock.
    Fun to drive.
    Thanks for all the input.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    The electrifly motor is a good choice. The stinger is not. In a rustler the stinger is decent. Its a 540 size 20t motor so whiie it IS 20t (technically less RPM than the 12t titan) its a smaller motor overall. So its going need lower gearing and will likely get hot. On the other hand the stinger is known to be nearly bullet proof so it will probably last a while, but its not ideal.

If you dont feel comforable running the brushless system at full power why not set it to training mode. Its probably the same speed in traning mode as your brushed setup is in sport mode. And, like jimbo said, youll never have to worry about a motor buring out or dying on you.

Depending on the radio your using you can also lower the throttle EPA (end point adjustment). This would effectively limit the throttle and keep you from hitting those parts crunching top speeds. There are many ways to adjust a brushless system to suit any driver. By the time you pick up half a dozen brushed motors youd almost have paid for the brushless setup anyway.

RC Champion
    My issue is finding Juggernaut wheels. Since I built this truck early Jan this year, the brushless has killed 3 of the Juggernaut's. They are getting tough to find. If it is not a digger, I won't be so picky about it's stance. I could put it in training mode then my boy's little digger will walk all over it. We went out this afternoon. I think I have it dialed in. Just need to fine tune the gyro so I can drift with my oldest boy's drifter.

I think they look just about right. Need to find a couple Jolly Roger flags tho.

RC Competitor
    When my son burned out his Titan, I replaced it with a HPI 15T Firebolt motor. I bought it off of Amazon for $13 or so. It lasted way longer than the stock Titan motor.

We went brushless after that (current set up is the Castle 1406 5700KV with the SV3 ESC); it's smoking fast on 3S.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the tip. I am down to my last Titan and this one is holding up so far.
    I had the VXL-3S on 3S in this truck when I first put it together. It was cool for 2 minutes at a time. Just like the real digger with Dennis Anderson driving it.

RC poster
    should I use the 13/90 with the firebolt

RC Champion
    It depends where/how you drive it. Pick up a temp gun and check every few minutes to ensure that the motor stays below 170F. You can gear up or down accordingly. Hot weather + grass = high temps. Cool ambient temps + pavement = cool. Really has more to do with your own unique situation.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think 3.8 mashers look good on monster trucks.... or even the 3.8 tmaxx chevrons.... I actually like the tmaxx tires better than my mashers