RC Enthusiast

Sensored vs non sensored moter

What is the difference between a sensored and a non sensored motor? Also what is the advantages if any? One more can a 4 pole motor work with VXL-3S ECS?

RC Qualifier
    Short answer: Sensored motors have some electronics (sensors) in them that tell the ESC exactly where the "spinny bits" are at, thus making them more precise. Sensored motors are also smoother running, very noticeable at very slow speeds. They don't have that jitter/jerkiness when you barely touch the throttle like sensorless motors do. That said, in most applications, sensorless is just fine (is all I run)...they have come a long way. Unless you are building a crawler I'd save the money and go sensorless.

As to the VXL-3S running a 4 pole, I've read yes and I've read no. I'm pretty sure it's not intended to unless Traxxas has changed things up in the VXL recently. Get a second opinion...I run all Castle ESCs and 4 pole motors, so I can't speak from experience. Sorry.

VXL-3S with the external capacitors (3355R) can run 4 pole the older one with internal capacitors (3355X) can not.
    ERBE, Summit, Sl4sh MT, P4de, 1/16 GD 4x4

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Strykeviper View Post
    VXL-3S with the external capacitors (3355R) can run 4 pole the older one with internal capacitors (3355X) can not.
    That explains my confusion, thanks!

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    The older ESC will run the 4 pole, it just cogs worse at low speeds.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    A sensored motor is amazing if you need ultimate smoothness in power delivery, especially at low speeds. So, if you were racing and wanted to have perfect control when exiting a corner... that would be good. Or, if you had an onroad car and wanted it to be ultra smooth... good option. But for a basher, not really necessary.

I run a 550 size sensored motor (a viper 5.5t) in my Rally and its really nice. Makes drifting with the car easier as its never any more jerky than I want it to be. But, I wouldn't say its at a all necessary. And, Im finding it may effect your run times just a bit. I started with a Novak system and my run times were terrible. With the MMP and the Viper motor they are better but still not the same as when I was running a standard non sensored system.

Have you tried smart sense? The sensorless mode is definitely more efficient, and smart sense uses the sensor to start the motor, then switches to more efficient sensorless mode. Once the rotor is spinning the sensor isn't needed.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Yes I did...and it was better, but not as good as a senseless setup. I can't fully explain why, but the difference in run time was, and still is noticeable. But the smoothness is just insane with the sensored setup. I bet you could put a glass of water on the roof of the car and drive around without spilling any.

If I had to do it over, id go with the a Tekin SCX 550 size motor though. I think, overall, they are a better motor. Id stick with the MMP though, it does a great job at running the sensored motors.

I run a gforce sensored 2250 motor in my telly, and have a novak 5.5 motor too. I love sensored motors.