RC Competitor

Stampede moves on its own

I recently have been problems with what I believe to be a radio issue with my stampede vxl. I'm currently using the traxxas TQ link 2.4 GHz transmitter and receiver. If I slightly pull the thrrottle on my transmitter and let it back to neutral the car will move. The problem is after I let the throttle back to the neutral position my stampede continues moving and starts to go faster by itself. If I let the car stand still for about 5 seconds it will start to move by itself and start to go faster. I have tried adjusting the throttle trim, nothing. I replaced the batteries in the transmitter, still nothing. I swaped out the receiver from my 4-tec and still the same problem. I called traxxas and they walked me through a factory reset. Nothing, they just said send the radio system back and pay for the warrenty replacment. I also went to my local hobbie shop (Action Hobbies for those of you from Long Island) and explained what my issue was. The owner told me that it sounds like the throttle trim potentiometer went bad. I have the throttle trim on my transmitter set to not effect the throttle so I dont see how it could be effecting anything. I also activated the throttle trim and still the same problem. Any ideas on what may be causing this? I also swaped the leads around for the ESC and steering servo and same result except this time obviously the steering servo is now turning on its own. I also tried the same transmitter on my nitro 4-tec and same thing is happening as with the stampede.
    Also the ESC was recently replaced so I don't think the ESC is the problem
    Last edited by smac4th; 04-07-2015 at 03:45 PM.

RC Champion
    Do you have the transmitter with the ipod docking base or just the regular one without a dock for telemetry?

RC Competitor
    I have the TQ link the transmitter traxxas was using right before the TQI. I am upgrading to the new TQI the bluetooth system but without the docking base. I should be getting it in the mail this Thursday.

RC Champion
    Oh OK. Over on the Slash 4x4 forum there were reports of the truck taking off on it's own full speed and the general concensus was that the transmitter with the docking base was to blame. That's really the extent of what I remember reading about it but I thought your symptoms sounds similar to those. I hope the new transmitter works well for you!

RC Competitor
    Since I got the new radio system brand new from dollar hobbyz for $44.99 I couldn't pass the offer. Plus as said in my first post I'm having problems with the radio system. Since the same thing is happening on both my rc's I'm pretty sure the trnsmitter is to blame for my radio trouble.

Traxxas Employee
    You might be able to reset it to factory defaults and solve the issue that way. Call in and ask for a Master end point reset on your transmitter and have it in your hand ready to go. Otherwise it could be a bad potentiometer. If you switch the wires in the receiver box around so that the steering wheel controls the throttle, does it do the same thing?

have you tried trimming the throttle back? this once was a problem with me... i don't know about link.

Quote Originally Posted by blurrdvision View Post
    You might be able to reset it to factory defaults and solve the issue that way. Call in and ask for a Master end point reset on your transmitter and have it in your hand ready to go. Otherwise it could be a bad potentiometer. If you switch the wires in the receiver box around so that the steering wheel controls the throttle, does it do the same thing?
    I am just curiuos, wouldn't this damage your servos, it will burn the servo ? overshoot the end points of the servo and thus it main cause some stress and eventually damage it. This is what I had experienced with one of my 2075, or do not connect that but just the esc.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Competitor
    Tried that before and no luck. I installed my new radio and no problems as of yet.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Your only testing the servo on the throttle channel. Not running it that way forever. All you want to see is if the servo moves on its own when plugged into the throttle channel (keep in mind you will hAVE to plug the ESC into the servo channel or you wont get any power to the RX). If the servo DOES move when plugged into the ESC channel you know its not the ESC thats the problem.

However, the FIRST thing id check is your throttle trim. Sounds like maybe your throttle trim has been bumped up slightly. Check that first.

RC Competitor
    What you said is what I origonally tried. I only swaped leads to see if the servo was doing the same thing as the motor. Had no intentions on driving the car with the leads swaped around. Perhaps in a previous post I wasn't as clear as I could be, which is my mistake. I also tried adjusting the throttle trim and still had the same problem. I also have tried to fix the problem by adjusting the throttle trim and still ended with the same problem.
    Also I was driving my pede in my driveway this morning with the new TQI system I installed and had no problems at all. Worked as it should with no issues at all. Seems to be the old transmitter was the issue.
    Last edited by smac4th; 04-09-2015 at 01:08 PM.

awesome! glad to hear you are problem free
    and RC pilots say RC cars can't fly!

RC Competitor
    I'm glad I fixed it because I have been putting this off for 8 months and haven't used the pede much untill today.