RC Competitor

Gonna be doing some upgrades on my pede. Thought I'd share what I will be doing to it

Ok as it says in the title I'm gonna be doing some upgrades to my pede and thought I would share them with guys. OK so the upgrade I'm going to do as follows

Traxxas CVD's for the stampede
    Proline powerstrokes front and rear
    Proline powerstroke spring kits for front and rear
    Blue aluminum wheel nuts
    Blue aluminum camber links
    Proline 2.8" desperado rims
    Proline 2.8" sand paws
    TQI radio system

I'll post pics of my pede and all of the upgrades after I install everything. The pic will also have the upgrades it currently has.

RC Champion
    Depending on how hard you bash your truck, you may want to reconsider the blue aluminum camber links. In my experience, they break easily and are definately weaker than the steel VXL links. They look cool though

RC Competitor
    When I got my pede 5 years ago I got it as the brushed version. I was finally able to break the stock plastic non adjustable camber links after 3 year of owning it. I upgraded to the RPM camber links. Since I was able to get 3 years out of the stock plastic camber links I don't think the aluminum ones will break on me that easily... I hope.

RC Champion
    Yeah, I save the most brutal bashing for my P2de and it's also the loaner R/C when my kids have friends over who want to drive. Perhaps my standard of toughness is higher than most!

Good luck with the upgrades, looking forward to seeing pictures. Are you still brushed?

RC Competitor
    Nope. After owning the car for a year and going through 4 brushed motors I had enough. I upgraded to the velineon system and had alomst no problems with the system. Only problem I had was the ECS had some sand holding down the button and could not in stick it. Ended up doing a warentee replacment on it. If it wasn't for the sand pushing the button down I'd still probobly have the same ECS thatcame with the motor.

RC Competitor

The third photo is the suspension articulation. This is still with all three other wheels still touching the ground. That was about as high as one wheel would go. I measured the hight with a highly accurate mechinests ruler. The rear wheel was 4" off the ground with the other three still on the ground.
    Last edited by smac4th; 04-07-2015 at 07:48 PM.

Great upgrades you have there.
    I have done all the above for my 2 pedes which are sadly all gone to new owners;
    You will definetely like the powerstrokes, they are been great for me, have both front and rear and yet to use the spring sets I had purchased. The shokcs are now on myslash 4X4 MT.

As for the trunbuckles and camber links, my advice is to go for the vxl sets and as Osubeaver mentioned, they are much stronger then the aluminum ones, I went trough three of them before getting the vxl's as many have done on the forumn. Like wise I still have the vxl links on my slash now.

If you want aluminum, the caster blocks are a must, and all ball bearings on all four corners. The carriers too can be exchanged later.

I had desperado wheels with mashers but have since rounded all of them with 12mm hexes so got rid of them, boiled the tyres off and now glued to F11 2.8 wheels 17mm hex. Still love the desperados, they are nice looking wheels , the MT comes out really nice.

The blue wheel nuts too are nice but more expensive and I rather went with the chrome ones, as at time you may loose some
    Live life to the fullest

Wow you posted as I did as well.

Looks great, nice set up, just be carefull on the aluminum links, if you are a hard basher like some of us, you will eventually go for the vxl ones too.

So I guees you did not get the sand paws, those tyres definetely look great
    Live life to the fullest

RC Competitor
    I ordered the sand paws yesterday along with the other upgrades. I took the photos a few months ago. The only things that have changed on my pede since they were taken was I put the RPM rear bumper on, RPM slash front and rear skid plates. Rear skid plate was a direct bolt on while the front I had to drill 2 small holes in the chassis for the 2 small screws that hold the plate in the chassis. I also added blue tech mesh on the wires that come from the motor.

RC Competitor
    I will also try to add a video of my pede with the sand paws at the beach. I will try to build some sand ramps before I film so I can do some proper sand bashing (My local beach has no dunes. It's a small beach.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I would skip the aluminum camber links and just use the standard VXL steel links, they really are the best in terms of strength

RC Competitor
    If my aluminum links break I'll switch to the steel ones. When compared to the plastic camber links how much stronger are the aluminum ones?

Quote Originally Posted by smac4th View Post
    If my aluminum links break I'll switch to the steel ones. When compared to the plastic camber links how much stronger are the aluminum ones?
    I've run the aluminum camber links over a year now and never bent or broke one. I am a hard basher also. Tranny is usually what gives for me. Hopefully I have that cured as Robinson Racing has the Hardened Steel Idler gear available PN#7857 which I have been losing teeth on.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Competitor
    Afterupgrading almost everything on my pede it seems like every brake I get is a servo saver.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    I broke like 5 aluminum links before I finally gave up and went with the VXL links. I had never broken an XL5 plastic link... id say the aluminium ones are actually WEAKER than the plastic... but everyone has different experiences.

If you havent already ordered them, I would say for a basher the power stroke shocks are an unecessary expense. If you were racing it and shock tuning was SUPER important, go for it. But you'd be better to find a set of the Slash 4X4 Platinum shocks... they are awesome and cheaper than the Proline shocks.

RC Competitor
    I don't tend to get the oprotunitly to do off road bashing with my pede. I do mainly on road with it. I only had the opprotunity to drive my pede on dirt once and that was at a baseball field. Since now that I have my drivers license I can drive myself to placed where I can bash. Hopefully I can do some bashing now.

RC Competitor
    Hey guys I installed most of the upgrades on my pede last night. I will be getting the traxxas CVD's inthe mail today. If I am able to install the part today I will upload pics if not I will upload pics on sunday when i get home from NYC.

RC poster
    First - looks awesome! Great work on the upgrades.

I was wondering about the suspension articulation. Does that make a significant impact on handling? Are you able to get over things that a crawler would be able to do? - Either way - does anyone know if it's possible to get that type of articulation with the standard pede shocks? - Can I use different springs. Thanks!

RC Competitor
    The simplest answer is no. The reason for this is the stampede has independent suspension. While I can't remember the name of suspension crawlers use, crawlers have more articulation then independent. The setup you see in this picture is my off road setup. If I was bashing I would use a harder spring setup. The setup I have in this photo I have used on road is decent but not great.

Nice truck!!!!
    and RC pilots say RC cars can't fly!

RC Competitor
    Thanks. I've had it for 5 years this july.