RC poster

Help choosing a brushless motor

I have 2 stampede's xl5's for my 13 and 12 yr old boys (beginners), and the stock 12t brushed went out in a matter of a few months. They were plenty fast enough for them and want to change over to a brushless setup. I was looking at Castle Creations Sidewinder 3 with NC1406-4600kV motor and esc combo??? But is this too much motor?? What motor & esc are you running?? Have you had any trouble with any??? Which one's to stay away from...etc
    Thanks for any advice

RC Champion
    Welcome to the Forum!

You really can't go wrong with the Castle Sidewinder 3 & 3800kV motor (the 1410 I think). I've never tried the 4600kV but I know the 3800 provides more power than you can ever really use in a P2de. For about $100 you can't beat it.

RC poster
    Thanks, but I haven't seen a Castle Creations 3800kv?? The only ones I see are the 4600, 5700, 6900, & 7700kv motors on their site. The 4600kv part number is 010-0115-01

No, not too much for the P2de. I'm not a big fan of the Sidewinders for 3S use, but they are fine for 2S. The 4600 could be exceptionally fast on 3S anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by itsme View Post
    Thanks, but I haven't seen a Castle Creations 3800kv?? The only ones I see are the 4600, 5700, 6900, & 7700kv motors on their site. The 4600kv part number is 010-0115-01
    Those are 1406 motors. The 3800kv is a 1410 motor. It is physically bigger.
    Combo is here:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDRLN&P=ML
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-08-2015 at 07:26 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Is there another halfway proven motor and esc combo that I can run with out being to much?? Don't want to buy 2 and have to turn around in a few months and buy more (I would rather spend the $$$ now and not have to spend more $$$ down the road) Any recommendations would be appreciated motor & ecs combo and battery type!! Thanks
    Last edited by itsme; 04-08-2015 at 07:31 PM.

I have been running an MM 5700 in my Pede forever. It has held up and runs fast and cool. That is on 2s.
    R/C Sith Lord

RC Competitor
    I would either go with a castle motor and esc combo or the traxxas velineon system. Either way both are great brushless systems.

RC poster
    what size batteries do you run and what brand?? And any brands to stay away from??

I run the SV3 4600 in my pede and rusty. Great performance on 2S, I think 3S is going to be insane but waiting till I get bored on 2S
    Batteries favored by most here are SPC, I have 4 and before I got those I was given a Venom 2S and a Onyx 2S and still use them with no regrets or problems. I think proper care and charging with any battery will be the longevity of any battery.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Qualifier
    I think the SV3 3800kv combo is the way to go. For batteries I use SPC and Onyx.
    God's Not Dead

If it's too fast when you put it in you could always gear it down. My son (8yrs) has a sv3/3800 on the way and we will run it with a smaller spur until he get used to the speed.

I run the Dynamite tazer 3300 system. Great for the price
    and RC pilots say RC cars can't fly!

I had run the MMP3800 on 3s on a pede and it was just insane, could not get to half throttle without lifiting the front, never got to full throttle.....

Used a Onyx 4550 on it as well, and I think that was the sweet spot for the pede, enjoyed it better, still very fast but on 2s and just as afst if not more.
    Live life to the fullest

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    I had run the MMP3800 on 3s on a pede and it was just insane, could not get to half throttle without lifiting the front, never got to full throttle.....

Used a Onyx 4550 on it as well, and I think that was the sweet spot for the pede, enjoyed it better, still very fast but on 2s and just as afst if not more.
    Thats nice! wanna try 3s someday too but I only have the sv3 so ill have to be careful.. what gearing were you running?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    If its too fast you can always limit the throttle settings in the castle link app... or change your throttle dual rates, EPAs etc etc.

The nice thing about going with a castle system is that its COMPLETELY configurable. You can make it perform exactly how you want it to.

Traxxas also offers the training mode on all their systems so if you did go with the VXL you could always run it in training mode for a while until the kids are used to it. It would be fairly comparable to a brushed truck in training mode.

RC Competitor
    I had a 3s lipo pack. My pede was insanely fast until the the positive lead broke off the battery and a wire broke out of the balance lead. I have been trying to get in contact with the company for three years and no luck. I have tried calling and nothing I also tried emailing them and still nothing. the battery was a venom 4000mah 3s lipo. All I'm gonna say my experiences with them sucked and they won't stand by their lifetime battery warrantee. I have used traxxas lipos since and have no complaintes with them great product and great customer service. The traxxas lipos tend to be a bit expensive when compared to other good value brands. But traxxas lipos are built well and are good quality.
    Last edited by smac4th; 04-09-2015 at 07:20 PM.

RC Champion
    How about the VXL from Traxxas? I had to take mine out and go back to the XL5 and 12T. I couldn't drive it with brushless and couldn't drive fast enough to the LHS to get parts.
    With the 12T, it's actually enjoyable.

The nice thing about dynamite is it is a direct replacement bolts on the same way the stock one did. also, it runs very smooth, and although is is only a 45a esc, it comes with a cooling fan, and mine never gets warm.

Any questions? Ask Me!!!!!
    and RC pilots say RC cars can't fly!