RC poster

Old Tmaxx(4910) transmission problems

I have an old tmaxx I got for free from a friend. He said it worked fine the last time he used it. At any rate I got it running but it doesn't move. I rev it real high and still doesn't move at all. I took the tranny apart twice and do not see anything wrong with it. I've researched other forums and watched YouTube videos of people taking the trannys apart. I don't know what else to try. It's the old stye(black tranny) if that helps. The slipper clutch seems fine as that gear spins very fast when revving it up. Any other ideas?

First question is does it have reverse still? If it does try pushing or pulling the shift linkage where it comes out the tranny.
    Depending on how old it may have the older primary shaft which has a steel pin holding the gears which could have sheared. The new style has a screw pin in it check that also.
    If the slipper is loose it will still spin, try tightening snug. Try this before opening her back up. If that fixes her up remove the slipper and make sure every hole is filled with friction pegs or best to just get new one's and replace them then tighten the spur back up snug and back off a 1/4.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC poster
    It is the older style so it does have a pin in the shaft which is intact. It's the only pin like that in the tranny that I've seen. When I first took it apart I was careful to look for any broken debris but I didn't see any. I did look at the forward and reverse mechanism as well and even backed off the set screws a little for the fingers to engage a little easier thinking that may help. I had that disconnected from the servo and pushed it in and out by hand to make sure it was actuating. The slipper clutch seems ok. I did tighten it down all the way. In fact it is currently still in that state. Everything seems to be spinning correctly from the motor to the tranny but admittedely I am a novice so maybe it's not spinning fast enough? Anything else I could try?

It takes a correct tune and a few rpm's to engage when you have reverse, I personally rip out reverse on all of mine. On the older Maxx the PN#4994x is the FOC conversion.
    When you had the tranny out did you try and turn the output shafts to see if everything is spinning? You probably will have to slide the reverse gear forwards or backwards to engage it. While turning the output shafts, hold the primary shaft from the slipper to lock it and you should not be able to turn the outputs anymore.
    Reverse gear tranny's are a pain in the neck to deal with.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC poster
    I'll have to try that. Is there a way to verify that without taking the tranny back out? Just curious. I'm wondering if I can hold something while spinning the wheels on the truck to see if I get the same result that you are describing. If not I'll pull it out again. Thank you for the help!

RC poster
    I did just order a forward only conversion from amazon. Only $10. Should get it in 2 days. I will try that and let you know how that goes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick53235 View Post
    I did just order a forward only conversion from amazon. Only $10. Should get it in 2 days. I will try that and let you know how that goes.
    Just to let you know when you do the FOC, do not be surprised if 2nd gear kicks in way to soon and you have to adjust your shift point....

The removal of all that rotating mass allows the tranny to spool up with more torque quicker, so 2nd gear usually engages too soon once FOC is installed....

Best upgrade Traxxas makes for the TMAXX IMHO.....
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

+1^^^^^^
    I believe it may solve all your problems if everything looks great in your tranny.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC poster
    Ok so i have an update. I Tried one more time to see if i could get the truck to move before putting the FOC kit in and it worked! but only briefly and i have no idea why. the motor died and when i restarted it was back to not moving again. I put the FOC in and it still does not move! i have the slipper clutch nut tightened all the way for now. What else am i missing???? I'm so frustrated with this truck at the moment. I'm also having issues getting it to start and stay running. Even after taking the carb off and cleaning it and putting it back on. Anyways ill worry about it running right once it moves. Any other suggestions? Please help! Thanks!

I would remove the clutch bell and replace the clutch and spring.
    Stampede/Rustler

Sounds like you have a broken pin or a bad OWB in the trany.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

RC Racer
    +1 on the OWB on first gear
    what did i break

Quote Originally Posted by Wildman4910 View Post
    Sounds like you have a broken pin or a bad OWB in the trany.
    Completely forgot about that one.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Racer
    What was the end of this story???'
    I think my t maxx got a too loose engaging point when in forward, idle not that high, but it kicks in and lets go imediatly, but when throttle is applied all goes well
    nitro rusty, t-maxx and 2 revo 3.3's. Slash 4/4 bl