Thread: Need some input

RC Qualifier

Need some input

I have been thinking about getting my soon to be 9 year old a 1/16 brushless revo, set him up with it running the nmhi batteries in training mode to learn how to drive it. And as he got better with it slowly start bringing up the speed on it. This would put the car roughly at 15 mph which i think would be quick enough to keep ancintrest in and allow a nice long run time to learn on. I have a 1/16th revo (was a summit i converted) already, and it is s fun little car. Parts are mostly inexpensive (most of them anyway). The car is fairly easy to work on and can be made to a pretty durable car. This would also allow the kid to learn how to fix it.

Then continue thinking on this as I have more than 1 kid, that as they get older get each kid the same car, and do the same with them as they learn to drive, and eventually end up with 2-3 of the 1/16 revo's all with identical set ups, where the kids and I could go down to the local rc track and run them together. And since the cars be set up the same way it would come down to drivers skill. Also each having the same car would keep down the bickering on who has the better parts.

Yes this would be expensive for each set up, but most cost would be up front, and initial set up of the car. What are your thoughts on this?

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    Since you already have the Merv, I'd say yes. If you were buying new, I'd say a rustler, slash 2x4, pede, or a bandit. I love the 2wds. Simple, durable, and cheap. Far more so in each respect than the 1/16s, IMO. I'd go for the slash personally. Handles well, can be set up to be a monster truck, etc. The pede is fun but the wheelies can get annoying. Lol. And it doesn't handle so well.

I love the rustler as a stadium truck, but I don't know how much I would have liked it as a young boy unless I had a dirt track or similar terrain at my disposal. It's a good bit more limited off road, and is harder to wheelie (I'm sure your boys would like wheelies!)

As to keeping each car the same with the same upgrades, absolutely! As they get even older, and they want upgrades or new cars, let them work to earn it themselves. A good lesson to be had there.
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 04-09-2015 at 11:30 AM.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

RC Qualifier
    My oldest kid, I did get him a rustler vxl, and have it "detuned" some even in training mode he has trouble controlling it. I personally think the merv may a little more forgiving than a rustler. However they are abput the same price tag new though.

The merv for what it is a cool little awd truck. Partly why I say merv is I have 1 already, and getting my kid the same one, he may be happier seeing it's exactly like dad's truck. So far after I upgraded the merv it has been pretty durable truck so far. And then keeping the smaller scale, I can keep the back yard rc track smaller
    Last edited by jdavi519; 04-09-2015 at 11:51 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. pavmentsurfer's Avatar
    Id skip the 1/16 personally. They may not be horrible to work on, but trust me, they are WAY more complicated than a 2X4 truck. I would think your eventual goal would be having the kids work on the trucks themselves. Nearly every task related to taking apart a 1/16 is far more complicated than the 1/10 2X4 and It will take a kid WAY longer to learn it. A 6 year old could probably take apart a 2X4 and put it back together. Plus, the MERV may be durable, but not as much as a 1/10 2X4
    You have to remember, you have 3X more differentials and drive shafts to work on, you have a rocker suspensions thats fairly complicated to assemble, arms and castor blocks that are also fairly complex. Even getting to the slipper/motor mounts on a 1/16 is pretty complex. A 2X4 is just a transmission with the motor bolted to it and 2 driveshafts. Couldnt be simpler. Slipper access is as simple as removing one wheel and 2 screws. Shocks mount with 2 screws each, castors are again, 2 screws... even the steering is easy to work on (especially on a stampede)

My suggestion is always the stampede. I just love it... still own and run one myself. With the body lowered they can look quite cool and the larger tires tend to be more forgiving on rougher terrain. A 1/10 in training mode wouldn't be THAT much faster than a 1/16 in training mode.

A 1/10 with 6 cell nimh in training mode is quite slow haha. What battery was in the rusty that you had in training mode? I hate taking the Merv apart personally. Especially those diffs! But I do realize that's just a personal thing. If speed is a concern, get him a brushed, gear down, and put in training mode. Wouldn't be much faster than a Tyco.

My Merv on 3s is one of my fastest cars!

RC Qualifier
    I am hoping to set his up identical to my merv, I am running summit sized tires on it for ground clearance. I personally don't mind taking the truck apart.

Here is how mine is set up now, Rpm arms all around, aluminum steering blocks, the aluminum tie rods and push rods and seems to be a great little runner with this set up

I do like the Merv, don't get me wrong. And, being so light and 4wd, mine will go just about anywhere. Well, it would. Now it's bigger

RC Qualifier
    Since I have the merv, I'm gonna run it in training mode, and see how it does, if it slows it where I think he can handle it, and still pop a wheelie in a 2s lipo, and judge it's performance from there. I know other cars are a little easier to work on, however he does love helping me on my revo 3.3, and my other cars.

Try dropping the pinion too, dunno what you've got in it. That'll help both slow down the top speed, and get a wheelie. I'm sure you know that, buy just mentioning it. Or, you can invest in a castle ESC, and custom tune the power to whatever you like.

I'd outfit it with chassis braces and tbone bumpers/skids too. None of which are expensive, and worth their weight in gold to strengthen it.
    Last edited by mwe-maxxowner; 04-09-2015 at 06:33 PM.

I really do not know what is best, as i do not have a mere. but for a beginner, starting with something simple like a 2wd pede can really benefit you. First, the merv is small, and may be hard to work on. i know you have a merv, but in context of him working on it, it may be tough. The pede is a tough vehicle, that is simple, easy to work on, and is fun. Next, brushless. Really? A beginner may want the brushed, as it is easier to learn to drive. i know you can put BL on training mode, and you could also save money on it. But for around 100 dollars at places such as Dollar Hobbyz, you can't beat saving money, and upgrading when ready. overall, the pede, or in this case, the slash, rusty or bandit too, are very beginner friendly.

Thats my input
    and RC pilots say RC cars can't fly!

I agree, but I think you've already laid out a good plan. You already have the Merv, give it a try! See how it goes. If he demolishes it, parts are available .