RC Champion

A little help VXL vs XL5 4x4

Currently is there any difference in components in suspension or driveline between the XL5 vs VXL kits?
    I may want to put my own motor and ESC in and wondered if I bought the XL5 kit if I would have less integrity in the components, in general less the motor and ESC are the two the same otherwise?
    Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    They have different ring and pinion gears giving them a different gear ratio.

RC Competitor
    The center shaft is aluminum on the VXL vs. plastic on the brushed. Also the turnbuckle I guess it's called is plastic on the brushed. My son has the brushed and I have the brushless. The single biggest thing I experienced breaking on my brushless setup is the driveshafts. I know Traxxas advertises it as 3s ready but it's really not in my opinion. I broke one on 7 cell NIMH on smooth slick concrete. Broke another one on 2s also on slick concrete and the first time I tried 3s it practically spit it out. MIP cvds were the best upgrade I ever made.

I've always heard the ring and pinion gears were different but I'd like to know if it's geared higher or lower.

RC Qualifier
    Brushed is lower geared

RC Racer
    You also get the better transmitter with the throttle trim as well.
    Hey kid that's not a toy!!

RC Champion
    Thanks for the insight on the differences, very helpful in making a decision on which way to go.

Appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by tim71 View Post
    The center shaft is aluminum on the VXL vs. plastic on the brushed. Also the turnbuckle I guess it's called is plastic on the brushed. My son has the brushed and I have the brushless. The single biggest thing I experienced breaking on my brushless setup is the driveshafts. I know Traxxas advertises it as 3s ready but it's really not in my opinion. I broke one on 7 cell NIMH on smooth slick concrete. Broke another one on 2s also on slick concrete and the first time I tried 3s it practically spit it out. MIP cvds were the best upgrade I ever made.

I've always heard the ring and pinion gears were different but I'd like to know if it's geared higher or lower.
    I understand what you are saying. On the brushed the turnbuckles are a solid plastic piece. On the VXL it is fully adjustable.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!